Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
07 vulcan classic custom LT. I have had it a short time but seems the speedo is showing me I am running slower than what the gauge is showing. There seems to be 1/2 tank left when showing empty. How many miles do I have left when the gas light is light? Wife and I are both very uncomfortable with the stock seat. Any ideas as too a better ride besides spending alot of money on a new seat? And final question, what should I expect for gas milage? Thanks in advance for the info.

·
Registered
719 Posts
There's a sticky for the gas gauge fix. The speedo needle can be removed and reset, search the threads for instructions. There's plenty of threads on aftermarket seats too. Mileage, I get 45 around town and up to 53 highway.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The speedometer runs about 10% high -- so when it shows you're doing 55, you're actually doing 50, 44 is 40, 33 is 30...and so on.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Fuel gage: If you're not comfortable trying to figure out what resistor(s) to place in the fuel gage connector - don't worry about it much. I work with electronics - and I haven't been bothered by this problem enough to fix it. I usually just reset my trip odo upon refilling my gas tank. I KNOW I get 40+MPG even riding hard, 2-up, etc. After about 200 miles "indicated" (see below) I know I need gas. Usually my butt (bolted to an OEM seat) indicates I need a pit stop long before then. If you're reeeeally worried about it, then the "sticky" thread will give detailed instructions for the fix.
Costs: 2 resistors and some liquid electrical tape: <$10.
"Not worrying about it": free.

Speedo-odo Accuracy: They're off by about +10-percent. You can:
1. Not worry about it (free)
2. Mount a GPS. ($100+/-)
3. Mount a Scootworks cog/pulley and pull your RPMs down by something like 9% (front and rear.) Not free - but reducing the RPMs makes life easier on the interstate - and the VN has enough low end grunt to still be streetable in the city (IMHO.) Lots of info on the site. Lots of opinions as to cost-vs-benefit. Some reports of belt alignment issues. I've also read of folks mounting an outsized rear tire on the bike (200-series vice 180) and pulling down their speedo errors some. You can look at that if you're in the mood. There's probably a "Darksider" out there with similar results.
I've pretty much stuck with option "A" - but that's how I roll...:cool:

Seat: If you're so inclined, you can pull foam out of the seat, and replace with gel, other foam, goose feathers, etc. Cost varies. So does the result. The "gel" seats on eBay run about $220 shipped. Better than stock - MUCH better according to some...the rear portion is MUCH more comfortable than stock - according to what I've heard. I've priced Mustang seats from the mid 350's shipped on eBay. Sat on one once. they have GLOWING reports from riders on this site. I'm saving for one now. Cost: $350-375.
I was just kidding about the goose feathers. Water can seep in through the stitches in your seat and wet down whatever material you have in there. Goose down is probably a poor choice! :D

There you have it!

Enjoy that bike...
Ride Safe!!!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Problem with replacing foam in the seat is the pan still has a flat spot right there where you're tailbone hits. Sure, the memory foam is nicer than the stock foam but it still ends up being big pressure on the tailbone. Aftermarket seats take care of it.

·
Registered
742 Posts
gas gauge:
when does your lite come on? have you ran it down until it does?
the strange thing is the lites seem to be semi-accurate... only because i had just over 1Gal left each time the light was coming on.
yes, the gauge reads E only after 100 miles or so and i do not need to fill up until well over 200 miles.

like many other here i have gotten use to resetting the trip mileage and have been ignoring the gas gauge
WORD OF CAUTION - if you do electrical work in the middle of counting miles and disconnect the battery... HA! trip is back to zero so go top off right after the work?!?! freaked me out the first time and thought something was wrong!! :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Good point.
I just put a battery tender cable on my bike. I'll bet mine is reset too. :eek: I guess I'll just have to top her off again....:cool:

·
Registered
976 Posts
The fuel light input is off the fuel pump, it isn't in the gauge loop. That's why whenever it goes off you have about 1.3 gallons in the tank.

The nice thing about the resistor fix is it gets the needle to agree pretty much with the light so you can more easily plan your gas stops and actually use the trip meter like a trip meter. Which means you'll have to get the odometer close too, which it isn't from the factory.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts