Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled into a gas station today to get some gas in my 2007 Classic and to my surprise the gas cap would not lift out of the tank!!

Twenty five minutes later it came out and I filled the tank.
Still not believing that it would stick I tried to remove it again and sure enough it took another fifteen minutes to get the cap out. (pretty dumb move by me)

Is there something in there that needs to be filed down?

And yes, I have the key turned in the cap when trying to remove it.

Please help me not look like a fool at the pump!!

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Sounds like your locking mechanism might be sticking. I lub all my locks by inserting the key half way in the lock and spraying around the key with WD-40, or other lub designed for locks, and push the key in all the way to work it in. Repeat and then turn the lock back and forth.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like your locking mechanism might be sticking. I lub all my locks by inserting the key half way in the lock and spraying around the key with WD-40, or other lub designed for locks, and push the key in all the way to work it in. Repeat and then turn the lock back and forth.
Did just that this morning and all is well! Whew!!!

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Did just that this morning and all is well! Whew!!!
Good deal! I have six locks that work off the one key on my 15. Two helmet hooks (relocated to handle bars), fork, ignition, gas cap, and left side cover. I guess the gas cap is the only one that is not vertical so moisture can collect down inside.

It's a secure feeling to know that some fool can't mess with my gas but the ignition lock gets overly used when you have to remove it to get gas and then reinsert. I wonder if hiding the extra key somewhere on the bike might help prolonging ignition function...but where? A magnetic key locker? Key too big for my wallet. Would a key locker stay on the bike? Hmmm...new project. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a 2007 Classic LT and had the same problem with the gas cop . Have to keep it lube up . Wish someone would come out with a replacement cap that does not need a key . I would throw the stock cap away . Who the hell is going to steal a gallon or 2 of gas out of your bike or put something in the tank .

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 2007 Classic LT and had the same problem with the gas cop . Have to keep it lube up . Wish someone would come out with a replacement cap that does not need a key . I would throw the stock cap away . Who the hell is going to steal a gallon or 2 of gas out of your bike or put something in the tank .
Well said!!!!
Hell, would settle for a big piece of cork!!

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
My Sportster doesn't have a locking gas cap...why does my Vulcan? I tried to find an answer but gave up with 0 results. My guess is that some peeps (American motorcyclists) didn't take kindly to the Jap bike explosion into our Market and sabotaged the gas with sugar on those early models. So the locking cap became a safety Staple. Hell I don't know.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
In the '70s when the price of gas more than doubled people would steal a qt of gas from your lawn mower.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I used to work on locks in high school/college at the service counter of a hardware store. WD-40 works great. For a little while. Problem is it sucks dirt and grime and all kinds of junk. A good 75% of the locks that I dealt with were gummed up, stick as the OP described (Most of the rest were just re-keying locks for landlords, cheaper than buying new locks). I'd ask if WD-40 was used, they'd say "Well yeah, of course!" and I'd break 'em open, clean out the WD-40, and lube with graphite. Then they'd be back next spring, not heeding my advice about WD-40 (I'm just a dumb kid at the hardware store what do I know?)

I would highly suggest the use of a lock specific lube, graphite, or something like that. WD-40 is a lubricant, but it's a lot of other things too; and the result of that concotion of 'stuff' is that it sucks in dust and dirt and gums up the works!

That's referring to the LOCK CYLINDER anyway. The mechanism below probably won't hurt anything. I'd just definitely keep the WD-40 out of the lock mechanism or in a few months you're gonna have a bad time when all of that grime builds!

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
That's why the outlined statement was added. WD-40 is readily available in everyone's shop and good in a pinch.

I used to work on locks in high school/college at the service counter of a hardware store. WD-40 works great. For a little while. Problem is it sucks dirt and grime and all kinds of junk. A good 75% of the locks that I dealt with were gummed up, stick as the OP described (Most of the rest were just re-keying locks for landlords, cheaper than buying new locks). I'd ask if WD-40 was used, they'd say "Well yeah, of course!" and I'd break 'em open, clean out the WD-40, and lube with graphite. Then they'd be back next spring, not heeding my advice about WD-40 (I'm just a dumb kid at the hardware store what do I know?)

I would highly suggest the use of a lock specific lube, graphite, or something like that. WD-40 is a lubricant, but it's a lot of other things too; and the result of that concotion of 'stuff' is that it sucks in dust and dirt and gums up the works!

That's referring to the LOCK CYLINDER anyway. The mechanism below probably won't hurt anything. I'd just definitely keep the WD-40 out of the lock mechanism or in a few months you're gonna have a bad time when all of that grime builds!
Baaaa! I don't agree with that!!

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
You would be suprised. We recently had a rash of fuel theft in my area. One house had cameras and caught the theives stealing gas from their car & riding lawn tractor. 1 gallon is 1 gallon. They will take what they can get.

In addition, when I was stationed in GA you had to mark all fill caps (gas, oil, etc.) to see if anyone opened them. I knew several people that ended up with messed up engines becaus people would add metall shaving to the crank case. Had to do pre-ride checks to make sure everything wasn't tampered with.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
You would be suprised. We recently had a rash of fuel theft in my area. One house had cameras and caught the theives stealing gas from their car & riding lawn tractor. 1 gallon is 1 gallon. They will take what they can get.

In addition, when I was stationed in GA you had to mark all fill caps (gas, oil, etc.) to see if anyone opened them. I knew several people that ended up with messed up engines becaus people would add metall shaving to the crank case. Had to do pre-ride checks to make sure everything wasn't tampered with.
My old neighbor had this project truck he was restoring; and old ford. One of those 'long term' projects where he'd tinker with it every now and then. It ran and everything; but it generally was parked out by his shed. Our land and his land backed up to a conservation area of about 2,000 acres. Meaning there was practically nobody behind us. Well, he kept having gas stolen. (Also nobody in front of us! It was our two houses about 1000 yards apart and not another house for a couple of miles). Finally caught the kids doing it; these two kids who would ride their four wheelers through the conservation area, ride down to his shed and siphon gas out of his truck, lawn mower, whatever was outside, then ride on. He caught them but a middle aged guy on foot is never gonna catch up to two kids on 4-wheelers! Made a police report; but nothing came of it. Couple weeks later, gas stolen again. So FINALLY, he got underneath the truck, unhooked the fuel line and 'capped' the tank, and filled the fuel tank with water, gasoline, sugar, sand, whatever else he could find. Sure enough! About three weeks later there were two stalled four wheelers at the back end of his property with footprints leading away from it!

Last I checked; they were still chained to his shed. And that was a couple years ago! He always said he'd happily give them back, they just need to knock on his door and come get them :D:D

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
That is what every thief needs. I would rather give some one $100 as to have some one steal $20 from me. It just ain't right. I think those kids got away easy but at least they got some form of punishment for it.

But back to the lubing of locks, i usually use CRC-2-26 on my guns, locks, hinges, convertible top hinges that squeak when you hit bumps, and so forth. Not anything come up with excessive wear yet.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After lubing the locking cap it stuck again yesterday! The lube gummed up inside the lock. I cleaned it out with carb cleaner and it works better than ever.
I see that Barons sells a screw type non-locking gas cap to fit the 900!
One more stuck cap and I will be ordering one!!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
After lubing the locking cap it stuck again yesterday! The lube gummed up inside the lock. I cleaned it out with carb cleaner and it works better than ever.
I see that Barons sells a screw type non-locking gas cap to fit the 900!
One more stuck cap and I will be ordering one!!
What are you using to lube it?

Cleaning it may have been the best thing for it. If you are using certain types of lube, it'll attract tons of dust and grime. Some lubes are worse than not lubing at all. Getting that grime out is important.

Also, you'd be surprised! A lot of folks WILL steal a couple gallons out of your tank. That said; a lot of the Harley's don't come with locking caps from the factory, and I never hear about getting gas stolen from all of my friends who ride H-D.

Remember that criminals don't always think straight. If I was going to be stupid enough to steal gas, I'd wanna make it worth my while. Steal 30 gallons from an F-150 or something. If I'm gonna go to jail, it ain't gonna be over $6 worth of gas. But then, I'm not the kind of person who would steal anything from anybody. The kind of person that would, isn't thinking that way. They are thinking "I want it, so I'm going to take it". Locks only keep honest people honest!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I used to work on locks ... I'd just definitely keep the WD-40 out of the lock mechanism or in a few months you're gonna have a bad time when all of that grime builds!
Me too ... arthritis in my hands forced me to abandon a good part-time business. I agree that WD-40 is not good lock lubrication. However, WD-40 was developed as a Water Displacing solvent, and it excels there. After washing the bikes, or riding in rain, I always flush the lock cylinders with WD-40; but I also rinse the cylinders with Seafoam, or anything else at hand (the CRC product mentioned above is good too), to prevent the "bubble gum" formation that results from WD-40 residue. I have never had lock troubles with this practice.

This might work with the actual locking mechanism of the gas cap too.

Just my 2 cents,
Grandpa

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Me too ... arthritis in my hands forced me to abandon a good part-time business. I agree that WD-40 is not good lock lubrication. However, WD-40 was developed as a Water Displacing solvent, and it excels there. After washing the bikes, or riding in rain, I always flush the lock cylinders with WD-40; but I also rinse the cylinders with Seafoam, or anything else at hand (the CRC product mentioned above is good too), to prevent the "bubble gum" formation that results from WD-40 residue. I have never had lock troubles with this practice.

This might work with the actual locking mechanism of the gas cap too.

Just my 2 cents,
Grandpa
Sounds like it probably would! WD-40 isn't the problem, it's a good lubricant and a good Water Displacer, it's all the stuff the WD-40 attracts that's the problem. If you flush most of it out afterwards you'd be okay!

In fact, to be honest, if you made cleaning the locks a regular practice you could probably get away with WD-40 anyway. The problem is when people spray a lock with WD-40, then it gets gummed up, they spray more, it's gummed up again in a short time, etc. etc. Because the WD-40 you are spraying in there is just shoving all of the grime around, the lock doesn't need lubricating it needs CLEANING.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I never have a problem with using WD-40 on anything but I do use a graphite on my locks. If I had a sticking problem I'd do what was mentioned above...flush first with the WD-40.

The other thing I need to keep in mind is peeps w/ problems live in areas where climate might make a difference in my suggestions. For instance: WNY has very little dust where Arizona does.

Al resides in the Philippines. Typhoons, salty air may have contributed to crappy particulates in his Cap Lock where it might need a good soaking in a solvent. Just an idea.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts