Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellas , sorry I don’t get back here much but I do own a Kawi and the just don’t break. I am having trouble with a leaking gas cap. The local shop could not find the seals o need to rebuild the cap. Has anyone else run into this problem. It leaks after a fill up.i replaced a few small o rings but they were not made for being in gas I guess because they went away quickly. Any help would be nice. Thanks

·
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner
862 Posts
I had a cap leaking problem a couple of years ago. I assumed my problem was the seal on the cap.

After reading some old posts about the subject I discovered two things I was doing.

1. I was filling the tank to the top off level to get as much gas as I could in the tank. I was doing this during a ride. The bike was hot (operating at correct temp but warm)

2. I would insert the locking cap in and then turn and remove the key.

After reading the posts I realized I should not be filling the tank with cool gas into a warm bike right to the top as the cool gas will want to expand some when warming up (makes sense). Also I didn't realize that even though my cap turns freely after inserted and locked, it becomes tighter and more sealed if I turn it and pay attention to the friction when turning. It most definitely tightens better when I do this.

Bottom line; fixed my leak problem completely. I think my problem was not twisting the cap around to ensure a tight seal.

Good luck with yours.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts