Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 vulcan 900, should I use regular gas or premium gas. Also Iwas told to get my valves readjusted at 1000 miles as well as changed my rear gunk whatever that is. nedd help not sure if all that is the truth

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have a 2009 vulcan 900, should I use regular gas or premium gas. Also Iwas told to get my valves readjusted at 1000 miles as well as changed my rear gunk whatever that is. nedd help not sure if all that is the truth
Octane 87

Read your service manual for requirements (pg 75). After your initial 600, you shouldn't need to do anything until around 3750 miles. They will check your belt deflection, spokes, brakes, etc. I can't find my manual right now or I would give you specifics. I am quite sure a valve adjustment would not be in order.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Valve adjustment is recommended at 15,000 miles (24,000 km)

Relax and enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Using a brand name premium gas has completely eliminated the backfiring from my 900LT.
I use 87....(regular). There are still 2 independents in my area that (say they) sell non-Ethanolated gas - although that may go away this September.

Personally - I think a VN900 will run fine on any pump gas - and unless you bolt a turbo, a supercharger, or start huffing giggle gas, you're probably not going to notice any difference between Regular, Premium, Ethanol, or Non - Assuming you don't try to use E85 gas, which is unavailable in my area...:D
However (comma) there are always folks out there who have machines that run better on Premium - and NOBODY knows a motorcycle better than its operator (usually!)
I had a Mazda Protege once that pinged like CRAZY on non-premium gas (from the factory) and nothing I could do or adjust would change that, and OH how I tried for 250,000 miles!
Since the price delta between 87 and 93 Octane for 5 gallons of gas is only about a buck or so - I'd say burn whatever the heck you want to! Just don't let someone get away with telling you that you HAVE to. The VN900's compression ratio is pretty low - about 9.5:1 - which is well within the "regular pump gas" range for most motors.

JMHO.

Ride Safe! :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
my 900 seems to run fine on 87 or 91 octane but i DO get better mileage with the 91. i average about 42-43 mpg on the 87 and about 46-47 on the 91 - i do the math on every tank.

·
Registered
976 Posts
The cost difference on 5 gallons makes no difference. I haven't noticed any great gas mileage difference between 85-91 octane and running sea-foam will help clean up excess carbon that higher octane will build in your engine.

Getting close to 40,000 on my bike and the valve shims haven't needed to be changed yet. But you should check em every 15,000.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
I use 87....(regular). There are still 2 independents in my area that (say they) sell non-Ethanolated gas - although that may go away this September.

Personally - I think a VN900 will run fine on any pump gas - and unless you bolt a turbo, a supercharger, or start huffing giggle gas, you're probably not going to notice any difference between Regular, Premium, Ethanol, or Non - Assuming you don't try to use E85 gas, which is unavailable in my area...:D
However (comma) there are always folks out there who have machines that run better on Premium - and NOBODY knows a motorcycle better than its operator (usually!)
I had a Mazda Protege once that pinged like CRAZY on non-premium gas (from the factory) and nothing I could do or adjust would change that, and OH how I tried for 250,000 miles!
Since the price delta between 87 and 93 Octane for 5 gallons of gas is only about a buck or so - I'd say burn whatever the heck you want to! Just don't let someone get away with telling you that you HAVE to. The VN900's compression ratio is pretty low - about 9.5:1 - which is well within the "regular pump gas" range for most motors.

JMHO.

Ride Safe! :D
The owners manual specifically states that an 87 octane is the MINIMUM to be used. It also says if you hear pinging or knocking use a higher rated octane. Backfiring or baby farts is an indication something is wrong, it is unburned fuel being ignited after the power stroke from incomplete combustion.

Most pump gasoline now has about 10% ethanol added which compounds the problems of the above mentioned.

Also, do you believe that the octane you are getting? If you do then you trust the oil companies to test each batch according to the RON+MON/2 formula. They are supposed to be tested using a VARIABLE compression engine each time. In capitalism corners get cut.

I don’t know if the bike runs better or not, it is not a performance machine(You have a VRod and I have a Buell for that). All I know it doesn’t backfire anymore.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The owners manual specifically states that an 87 octane is the MINIMUM to be used. It also says if you hear pinging or knocking use a higher rated octane. Backfiring or baby farts is an indication something is wrong, it is unburned fuel being ignited after the power stroke from incomplete combustion.
Heck...I don't know how you can hear ANYTHING over the racket that those valves are making. Anyway - I concur....As I said earlier, NORMALLY a bike's owner is best suited to judge whether or not a higher octane is warranted. I'm just pointing out what the service manual says...and they probably SWAG'd the 87 number....overseas and in some of the western states "Regular" means 85....:rolleyes:

Most pump gasoline now has about 10% ethanol added which compounds the problems of the above mentioned.
Yeah...tell me about it. I'm about to loose my prime source of non-eth. I don't think it'll impact me very much with the Kawi though...:cool:

Also, do you believe that the octane you are getting? ...In capitalism corners get cut.
I do...mostly. I think that there are a lot of "anti-big company" folks out there that would juuuuust LOVE to catch Exxon or BP selliing 83 Octane gas as 87. Think of the fines! I'm pretty sure that the rating accuracy is deep in the 99-percentile range. Personally...I'll leave big government versus big company debates to other forums.
We get into heated debates on oil viscosities and filter selections!:D

I don’t know if the bike runs better or not, it is not a performance machine(You have a VRod and I have a Buell for that). All I know it doesn’t backfire anymore.
Nuff said! (besides the small point of your Buell being more of a performance machine than my VRSCD!):p

Ride Well!

·
Registered
295 Posts

Also, do you believe that the octane you are getting? If you do then you trust the oil companies to test each batch according to the RON+MON/2 formula. They are supposed to be tested using a VARIABLE compression engine each time. In capitalism corners get cut.

The refinery where I work tests the heck out of gasoline blends and they would get into serious trouble for selling out-of-spec gasoline.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
The refinery where I work tests the heck out of gasoline blends and they would get into serious trouble for selling out-of-spec gasoline.
That is good to know. Since you are involved in the testing process, maybe you can answer several questions for me concerning this.

1. Is the octane rating figured before or after the addition of ethanol?

2. Why are foreign countries octane ratings 3 to 4 points higher than ours, when they use the same or similar system? For instance, let's say Australia has an octane of 87, it would be 91 here.

Thanks just curious, always willing to learn.

·
Registered
295 Posts
That is good to know. Since you are involved in the testing process, maybe you can answer several questions for me concerning this.

1. Is the octane rating figured before or after the addition of ethanol?

2. Why are foreign countries octane ratings 3 to 4 points higher than ours, when they use the same or similar system? For instance, let's say Australia has an octane of 87, it would be 91 here.

Thanks just curious, always willing to learn.
For an "87" octane blend the octane in the storage tank will be 85.5, but the addition of ethanol brings it to slightly above 87 octane. The US uses a RON+MON/2 method of detemining octane, but other countries use other methods.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I have to try a couple of tanks of primo-gas. I just installed the A.N. Big Sucker and Cobra fuel manager and my popping was reduced by about 60%-80%. I've been running the midrange stuff (some with hooch and some without). I'll stick to the AA version of the name stuff and see if that takes care of the rest of it. One thing I noticed, the valves have also become totally silent with the new set-up so I must be moving in the right direction. No more tapping racket at idle after it warms up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts