Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

So I'm just gonna say real quick that I'm almost positive moisture is the cause of our stator woes. I've had that theory for a while, but my stator has now failed after getting caught in two pretty heavy showers. Im going to keep up with the di electric grease on connectors from now on but for now I've got a stator to replace. So my questions are;

Should I keep riding? Today it started with a loud and noticeable spaceship noise on the left side, at low RPMs. How long until it quits charging?

Second question. Probably gonna go with a Rick's Motorsports stator. Any reason why I shouldn't?

Thanks.

John

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hey all.

So I'm just gonna say real quick that I'm almost positive moisture is the cause of our stator woes. I've had that theory for a while, but my stator has now failed after getting caught in two pretty heavy showers. Im going to keep up with the di electric grease on connectors from now on but for now I've got a stator to replace. So my questions are;

Should I keep riding? Today it started with a loud and noticeable spaceship noise on the left side, at low RPMs. How long until it quits charging?

Second question. Probably gonna go with a Rick's Motorsports stator. Any reason why I shouldn't?

Thanks.

John
Welcome to the club. :( The only one you don't want to be in.
The noise you hear is the rotor rubbing the insulation off as it gets hot and expands. This will last about a month, did for me anyway, maybe less. Do you have a volt meter. When the stator finally goes you have about an hour of ride time until the bike shuts down. Not enough juice in battery to run the fuel pump and injectors. And It is very bad on the battery.
You may be correct about the water in the connector, that seems to come up a lot. Mine was full when it went. The connector is not sealed and water runs down the wire and straight into the connector.

Sorry to hear your trouble.
Can't say about Rick's, had mine done under warranty.
Lots of people have used Rick's and reported good luck.

My advice Park It till it's fixed. (If You have that option).

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can anyone explain where these connectors are? I'd like to use the di electric grease and maybe avoid a problem. Thanks.
I think the culprit is the connections to the regulator located at the front of the bike below the radiator. I'd also hit the leads to the battery. That regulator gets a constant unending flow of water when ride in heavy rain from the tire splashing water up. Our charging systems are the type where the stator always outputs at 100% and then the regulator dumps the excess to ground and delivers the correct amount of juice to each connector. (which creates a lot of heat, hence being mounted in the front). If shorted by excess water, it could overload the stator or short the stator causing it to melt or overheat quickly.

That's my theory anyway. And di electric grease is cheap.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I think the culprit is the connections to the regulator located at the front of the bike below the radiator. I'd also hit the leads to the battery. That regulator gets a constant unending flow of water when ride in heavy rain from the tire splashing water up. Our charging systems are the type where the stator always outputs at 100% and then the regulator dumps the excess to ground and delivers the correct amount of juice to each connector. (which creates a lot of heat, hence being mounted in the front). If shorted by excess water, it could overload the stator or short the stator causing it to melt or overheat quickly.

That's my theory anyway. And di electric grease is cheap.

ON THE NOSE.

Also see if you can get some heat wrap around the wiring at the connector and try to seal it. Or just black tape is better than nothing.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I can chime in here....when i first got the bike, I got caught in a rainstorm....and my oil light came on....well.....there is a boot that covers the oil light switch that gets wet, and when that happens, you get a false, steady oil light on. After coating the spade connector with grease, I decided to unplug the regulator harness, Well, about a tablespoon of rusty water ran out! I sprayed lotsa lube in there (rust-check). It's one of the "quirks" of the nine. One of these days i'm gonna write a comprehensive "quirk" post and let every new owner know what IS GONNA HAPPEN.

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
i am still amazed that my dealer has sold nearly 150 vn900 s and has yet to replace a single stator...but with my luck i will be the first....AFTER the extended warranty runs out of course!!!!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
i am still amazed that my dealer has sold nearly 150 vn900 s and has yet to replace a single stator...but with my luck i will be the first....AFTER the extended warranty runs out of course!!!!
Yeah my dealer never has either. But of the 3 900's in the area I know of, 3 have had a faulty stator.

It's a $1,000+ job at the dealer as I understand it. Whereas small local shops can do it a bit cheaper, or, you can buy an aftermarket/rewound stator for $160 plus the cost of an oil change and a few gaskets and be done with it. So yeah, I can understand why these dealers have never replaced a stator :p

I mean that's $1,000 for a bike that's worth between $4-$6k (assuming it's got a few miles and a couple years on it like the ones that usually fail). I think most folks will crack it open and do it themselves. Seems easy enough, just involved and tedious.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay so here's a question;

I know the service manual recommends a gasket replacement. Can you guys tell me what need to be replaced when I crack the case? Links to where I can get it?

So here's my list, let me know what all I need before I set to work;

4 Quarts of oil
1 Oil Filter
1 Ricks Powersports Stator
Solder, heat shrink, and electrical tape
1 Gasket(?)

Going to order this week and hope it comes in soon so I can get her back on the road. Gotta find a place to work on it too, I live in an apartment complex, gonna be hard to do this is a parking lot with no access to electricity :p

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Hey all.

Thanks.

Romans...Since dieclectic grease doesn't conduct electricity....is it wise to coat the connecters/plug with it?
SFAIR? If your reading? Would it mean it would the stator would work harder fighting the "grease"?
I always wanted to know this question....I know the diclectic(sic) is great for covering connections, but, I don't know about harnesses where signals/ charges pass through...

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey all.

Thanks.

Romans...Since dieclectic grease doesn't conduct electricity....is it wise to coat the connecters/plug with it?
SFAIR? If your reading? Would it mean it would the stator would work harder fighting the "grease"?
I always wanted to know this question....I know the diclectic(sic) is great for covering connections, but, I don't know about harnesses where signals/ charges pass through...
That's actually one of it's common uses, wiring harnesses... BUT, I think you're right, I think you want to grease the boot, the areas AROUND the connectors, etc., to prevent moisture from getting into the connectors.

-John

·
Registered
696 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problem, John. :(

One of the guys in my VRA chapter is replacing the stator on his 2006 vn900 right now, just having ordered the replacement parts online last night. He's getting some of the parts from Canada. If you want, I can ask him for the specifics.

AFAIK, his stator actually failed or started to fail last summer. He has about 16k miles on the bike. He's been riding it a lot lately and the battery kept dying. Took him a while to figure out the problem. I don't think that he has much in the way of electrical accessories, so the normal draw would be what he was doing. He figured out that he could ride to the point where he had to start the engine 3 or 4 times. :)

I have no real idea what causes the problem, but my impression is that it seems to happen more (most?) frequently with the 2006 and 2007 model year bikes.

Given my recent problems with water/soap and electrical components on my 900, I have to wonder about the design of this stuff. Everyone knows that a bike is going to get wet, maybe a lot. Why aren't these connectors better sealed against water, if that does indeed cause a lot of issues, especially expensive ones like a stator replacement?

Kerry

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry to hear of your problem, John. :(

One of the guys in my VRA chapter is replacing the stator on his 2006 vn900 right now, just having ordered the replacement parts online last night. He's getting some of the parts from Canada. If you want, I can ask him for the specifics.

AFAIK, his stator actually failed or started to fail last summer. He has about 16k miles on the bike. He's been riding it a lot lately and the battery kept dying. Took him a while to figure out the problem. I don't think that he has much in the way of electrical accessories, so the normal draw would be what he was doing. He figured out that he could ride to the point where he had to start the engine 3 or 4 times. :)

I have no real idea what causes the problem, but my impression is that it seems to happen more (most?) frequently with the 2006 and 2007 model year bikes.

Given my recent problems with water/soap and electrical components on my 900, I have to wonder about the design of this stuff. Everyone knows that a bike is going to get wet, maybe a lot. Why aren't these connectors better sealed against water, if that does indeed cause a lot of issues, especially expensive ones like a stator replacement?

Kerry
I've already ordered the parts, but thanks!

I don't think the issue is dominantly '06 or '07 though. I think it has more to do from age. I predict that in 6 years all the 2012's will start to go out. The reason I think that is new OEM replacements don't end up lasting any longer.

I have to wonder too. If Kawasaki isn't careful this could turn out to be a class action situation for them. There was a similar common issue with my car that was ignored for years and years. A few years after they ceased production of that model a recall was ordered and a class action suit entitled owners of that car to some serious compensation. Surely it would have been cheaper for GM to just fix the issue in the first place... but I guess that's why I'm not in business management :p

Also, on your water thing, I was gonna post this in your thread but you're here now :p It can't be corrosion. I was just thinking of this... but oil all over your engine would PREVENT corrosion, not cause it, right? I dunno just my thought.

Okay so I've ordered the alternator cover gasket. Anything else should be replaced while I'm at it?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Okay so here's a question;

I know the service manual recommends a gasket replacement. Can you guys tell me what need to be replaced when I crack the case? Links to where I can get it?

So here's my list, let me know what all I need before I set to work;

4 Quarts of oil
1 Oil Filter
1 Ricks Powersports Stator
Solder, heat shrink, and electrical tape
1 Gasket(?)
I think you will definitely want the stator cover gasket and some silicone sealant, in addition to the above. The service manual also calls for both ft/lb and in/lb torque wrenches. Dunno how important that really is though.

The guy that I mentioned earlier said that his stator had shed a lot of wire insulation bits/pieces inside the stator cover, so you'll want to be prepared for that.

He is apparently also replacing the regulator and rectifier, according to one of his emails to me.

If you want, I'll ask him for the links to where he bought his stuff. I'm not sure that it would be any better than what you'd find in a normal parts search. But, he did mention finding a place in Quebec with stators rated to 200 degrees Celsius. I don't know if that is a big deal or not, but if heat is a primary cause of this problem, then a higher rated stator could be a good thing.

Kerry

·
Registered
696 Posts
I don't think the issue is dominantly '06 or '07 though. I think it has more to do from age. I predict that in 6 years all the 2012's will start to go out. The reason I think that is new OEM replacements don't end up lasting any longer.
Yes, I thought of that, but if it is just or primarily age, wouldn't all of the stators on 2006 bikes be going at about the same time, while other model years would not have the problem? I don't know. Not enough info available.

How many miles do you have on your bike?

I have to wonder too. If Kawasaki isn't careful this could turn out to be a class action situation for them.
Yeah, I was thinking that it wouldn't hurt for me to soon order up all of these parts and have them sitting on the shelf for when my 2010 model stator dies. I agree that this could be a serious legal issue for them, if enough folks have to replace stators. That's not like replacing a tire or headlight....

Also, on your water thing, I was gonna post this in your thread but you're here now :p It can't be corrosion. I was just thinking of this... but oil all over your engine would PREVENT corrosion, not cause it, right? I dunno just my thought.
I was thinking that too, but there's too much I don't yet understand about what has happened. It looked like corrosion, when I first saw it. But, Desert Angel's post made sense, in that it's dried soap. Dunno, I suppose that it could be. I'm going out to try to clean it out here shortly, whatever it is. :)

Kerry

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think you will definitely want the stator cover gasket and some silicone sealant, in addition to the above. The service manual also calls for both ft/lb and in/lb torque wrenches. Dunno how important that really is though.

The guy that I mentioned earlier said that his stator had shed a lot of wire insulation bits/pieces inside the stator cover, so you'll want to be prepared for that.

He is apparently also replacing the regulator and rectifier, according to one of his emails to me.

If you want, I'll ask him for the links to where he bought his stuff. I'm not sure that it would be any better than what you'd find in a normal parts search. But, he did mention finding a place in Quebec with stators rated to 200 degrees Celsius. I don't know if that is a big deal or not, but if heat is a primary cause of this problem, then a higher rated stator could be a good thing.

Kerry
I appreciate it but my stator is already ordered, paid for, and shipped.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, I thought of that, but if it is just or primarily age, wouldn't all of the stators on 2006 bikes be going at about the same time, while other model years would not have the problem? I don't know. Not enough info available.

How many miles do you have on your bike?

Yeah, I was thinking that it wouldn't hurt for me to soon order up all of these parts and have them sitting on the shelf for when my 2010 model stator dies. I agree that this could be a serious legal issue for them, if enough folks have to replace stators. That's not like replacing a tire or headlight....

I was thinking that too, but there's too much I don't yet understand about what has happened. It looked like corrosion, when I first saw it. But, Desert Angel's post made sense, in that it's dried soap. Dunno, I suppose that it could be. I'm going out to try to clean it out here shortly, whatever it is. :)

Kerry
Not AGE per se, but miles and number of times it was exposed to moisture (which I firmly believe is the cause of the issue. My bike only has 14k on it and was fine until I got caught in several hours of serious rain.. a couple days later, she's kaput. If you look at these threads, that happens ALOT). Like I said, when people replace them with a brand new OEM stator from Kawasaki, they experience the same issue down the road later, meaning they haven't fixed it.

My $0.02.

-John

·
Registered
696 Posts
Not AGE per se, but miles and number of times it was exposed to moisture (which I firmly believe is the cause of the issue. My bike only has 14k on it and was fine until I got caught in several hours of serious rain.. a couple days later, she's kaput. If you look at these threads, that happens ALOT). Like I said, when people replace them with a brand new OEM stator from Kawasaki, they experience the same issue down the road later, meaning they haven't fixed it.

-John
That's what bothers me, and I suspect a lot of other 900 owners.... I would be inclined to buy 3rd party, simply because of that, but I'd be very leery of buying cheap. But, how do you find quality stators? I'd like to find one that is higher rated all around, higher output, higher temp resistance and so on. I looked at Rick's stator, where it was initially stated that they had regular and higher output models, but I didn't see a high output for the 900.

If miles is a significant contributor to the issue, then I've not got far to go. My friend had 16k, you have 14k, I have 10k..... That's NOT a lot of miles.... I'll be signing that class action, if I have to replace mine this year.

Kerry

1 - 20 of 21 Posts