Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello out there

I have ordered front and back sprockets from Scootworks. They will lower the rpm at speed by 11.6%. They will go on my new '09 model 900 custom with Vance&Hines staggered side slash pipes and TFM fuel manager. I am asking for opinions/experiences from anyone who has done a similar mod.

Thanks Y'All

Mike Wynn

·
Registered
245 Posts
I imagine you will loose a ton of low end, but you would get probabaly close to 60mpg on the highway depending on your mods and the way you ride it. Give a full review when done. Explain everything from how the install wen,t how different your takeoff is and other performance factors, your mileage of course. Then give some pro's and con's. I've been interested in doing both instead of just one but I am afraid I will loose to much out of the hole.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Some or most have stated they lost low end power just with the front pulley. I truly didn't experice any power loss when I had mine. I just could not get the darn thing to silent the belt noises. Give us a review after done, I've only seen a two reviews of someone owning both pulleys one good and one ok with some belt noises.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Her 9 has both pulleys, there is not that much difference in low end but wow its a huge difference at hwy speed... She has a 2 to 1 Hard Krome exhaust, Power comm. and a Baron air filter so im sure these mods help with torque loss from the higher gears but i think the setup overall is the best investment we have made. There is a sweet spot around 65-70 mph and the 9 is just humming ... hard to put into words but it really changed the bike, and she has quit trying to shift into 6th..

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Her 9 has both pulleys, there is not that much difference in low end but wow its a huge difference at hwy speed... She has a 2 to 1 Hard Krome exhaust, Power comm. and a Baron air filter so im sure these mods help with torque loss from the higher gears but i think the setup overall is the best investment we have made. There is a sweet spot around 65-70 mph and the 9 is just humming ... hard to put into words but it really changed the bike, and she has quit trying to shift into 6th..
Quite a collection!

I rode a 1600 classic for 4 years, and wrecked it Dec '09. I bought a new Harley triglide ultra in april, and bought the '09 900 custom a week later. The lighter 2-wheeler is easier to handle (I'm 71). and keeps me powering through curves. The three- wheeler has my wife riding with me for the first time in our 48 year marriage. I've been riding for 58 years---my first real bike was an Ariel square-four 1951 model (1000cc) that I bought in 1957. Thanks for the encouraging input. I'll take note of your other 900 mods and keep them in mind for future reference.

Mike

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have had both pulleys on my 900LT for almost 2 years now and still think they are great. You can read my first post on it over here

I did not have a noticeable increase in mileage after I put on both pulleys.

Only downside I can come up with is that on really windy days, a 20-25mph headwind will let me go to a wide open throttle, and only get to an indicated 75mph, in 5th gear. The bike will stay there, but there is no more power.

·
Registered
742 Posts
..., but you would get probabaly close to 60mpg on the highway depending on your mods and the way you ride it. ....
my scoot was only a year old when i got it... the guy had only put 1,100 miles on it also. but i have ridden twice now checking the mileage and the first time i got 61MPG - we were on back rodes just joy riding and probably not over 55MPH much (speed limits were 45-50)... then i just rode Sunday and was up around 60-62MPH for a good stretch. checked mileage on that fill up and got 57MPG.

the only mod i can see are the V&H pipes with the baffles removed... is it possible he added the front pulley or does the MPG seem reasonable for a barely modded bike?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
windshield?

I have had both pulleys on my 900LT for almost 2 years now and still think they are great. You can read my first post on it over here

I did not have a noticeable increase in mileage after I put on both pulleys.

Only downside I can come up with is that on really windy days, a 20-25mph headwind will let me go to a wide open throttle, and only get to an indicated 75mph, in 5th gear. The bike will stay there, but there is no more power.
Do you have a windshield?.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Do you have a windshield?.
Yes, I have the 900LT which comes with the big ol' barn door windshield and the saddlebags. I am ~300lbs dressed for riding, and the majority of my riding is the daily commute on I-70 from Terre Haute to Indianapolis. I ride at the high end of legal...or just below the threshold for getting ticketed, whichever you prefer ;)

Also, I only get 36mpg on my bike. Just about everyone else with a 900 states they get in the high 40s, some in the 50s.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Also, I only get 36mpg on my bike. Just about everyone else with a 900 states they get in the high 40s, some in the 50s.[/QUOTE]

I have an 09 clasic with windshield. I do not get mileage in the 50's. When I bought the bike, the dealer told me to expect 42-44 mpg. Well guess what I get? 42 mpg riding around town. 44 mpg riding on the slab. This is assuming the odometer is accurate.

·
Registered
711 Posts
my scoot was only a year old when i got it... the guy had only put 1,100 miles on it also. but i have ridden twice now checking the mileage and the first time i got 61MPG - we were on back rodes just joy riding and probably not over 55MPH much (speed limits were 45-50)... then i just rode Sunday and was up around 60-62MPH for a good stretch. checked mileage on that fill up and got 57MPG.

the only mod i can see are the V&H pipes with the baffles removed... is it possible he added the front pulley or does the MPG seem reasonable for a barely modded bike?
How are you calculating your mileage? You are the first one I seen in over three years to post you get up to 57mpg. Normal average on this bikes is around 45mpg.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yes, I have the 900LT which comes with the big ol' barn door windshield and the saddlebags. I am ~300lbs dressed for riding, and the majority of my riding is the daily commute on I-70 from Terre Haute to Indianapolis. I ride at the high end of legal...or just below the threshold for getting ticketed, whichever you prefer ;)

Also, I only get 36mpg on my bike. Just about everyone else with a 900 states they get in the high 40s, some in the 50s.
I don't want to be the one to say this but it might be your weight. Me personally I would try putting just one of them back to stock and ditching the windsheild for a few runs to see if it helps. It will get you back in the powerband and you won't be WOT and only doin 75mph.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't want to be the one to say this but it might be your weight. Me personally I would try putting just one of them back to stock and ditching the windsheild for a few runs to see if it helps. It will get you back in the powerband and you won't be WOT and only doin 75mph.
What are you trying to say, that I'm fat??? I am NOT fat, I am just a few feet short for my height!!!

:D roflmao :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hello out there

I have ordered front and back sprockets from Scootworks. They will lower the rpm at speed by 11.6%. They will go on my new '09 model 900 custom with Vance&Hines staggered side slash pipes and TFM fuel manager. I am asking for opinions/experiences from anyone who has done a similar mod.

Thanks Y'All

Mike Wynn
Well, I've read enough. I ordered my front pulley today. I can say that over my nearly 20 years of riding (almost 80000 miles total) the 900 feels slightly under-powered at the bottom end. Of course that didn't stop me from removing the baffles :). but the mojority of my driving is super-slab. I just can't see myself wasting anymore time at an indicated 71 watching people fly right by me cuz I'm already buzzin (and only going about 64).... I will let everyone know as soon as I can get the new pulley on how the bikes rides. --Both low end and top end...

·
Registered
245 Posts
What are you trying to say, that I'm fat??? I am NOT fat, I am just a few feet short for my height!!!

:D roflmao :D
not fat .. just big boned :D

but in actuality, your a big guy, on a small bike and decreased the final drive ration by over 11%. Just thinking maybe put one or both back to stock that way when your doin 75 you won't hae it at WOT.

BTW, I mean no offense just a possibile solution to your low mileage. My father weighs in at a good 320 and he's only 5'10" .. now thats a big ole boy.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey, it's all good....I was just funnin' with you.

There are several things that could account for the low mileage. Weight and air resistance are a couple of them. I really think there's something in the engine itself - valves, ecm programing - that is a tad off on my bike compared to all the other bikes. I have spoken with one person who is the same size as me, rides about the same style as me, has the 900LT, and gets the low 40s mpg, with one overdrive pulley. I do believe he said his mileage did not change after the pulley.

I have run without the windshield before, and still only get in the mid-30s for mpg.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I'm 300 pounds, have an LT with the front scoots pulley, BAK and gutted pipes. I get regularly 42-45 mpg traveling between 70-80 mpg. Over 80 it drops down to upper 30's. I did have mileage problems with the bike and a Cobra controller which I couldn't get dialed in right and with my Bully till I did get it dialed in right. With the front of the muffler cans still in my pipes the flow is restricted and I run basically factory settings on the controller with some modifications on the full power band. Just changed my plugs and they look great, could have left em in.

Controlling acceleration and limiting mph gets me into the 50's. I had a high of 54 mpg this spring in Eureka Springs, fact is I got 43 mpg driving down there with a trailer hooked to the back in the 70 mph zone and 47 in the 55, really impressed with the mileage.

If you have a fuel controller on your bike it's more than likely feeding too much fuel. If you have both the pulleys on the bike it's also possible that you're short shifting and flooding the engine when it actually needs more rpm. You can try holding off on your shifts to higher rpms. The power band doesn't change on the engine just your relationship to it with speed.

Ah heck, I don't know, but it felt good talking about it. I'd try running at higher rpms for a while and check the mpg. Nice thing about the bully is it sits on my handlebars and shows me fuel load. I can see times when I have the bike in a higher gear and have more fuel going into the injectors where with a lower gear it will be feeding less fuel.

It's kinda like duty cycle on a motor. The lights show what duty cycle your on which is the period of time the injector is on per cycle. You can see where a bike turning 30 rpm at a 20 duty cycle would use less fuel than a bike at 20 rpm and at 40 duty cycle. 60 usage vs 80.

So let your bike run up a bit more. with the front pully I shift to 5th over 55 mpg but stay in 4th till then and usually only show 2 lights on my controller at the time. 5th will give me 3 or 4 lights.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I do not have a controller on my bike.

Mods I have done:

Performance-wise: Redneck air box mod, full debaffle on stock pipes, both Scootworks OD pulleys, General Altimax HP tire.

Bling-wise: Cobra light bar, Kawasaki lowers with oversized 'glass, Cobra engine guard, National Cycle hand guards, Airlite engine guard chaps (only on in cold or wet weather), debadged.

MrClean, you and I have talked before about my mileage. It was the first subject I brought up over on the other Kawasaki forum. My bad mileage predates any mods I have done, and it has just never gotten better. It is what it is. I am going to have the valve clearance checked soon, since I am at 29k and haven't had them checked yet. And mebbe when I get a few extra dollars I will get one of those Bully controllers.

I checked my speedo against a new Tomtom GPS and a roadside radar sign, and (sigh) even a policeman's radar gun...indicated speed + 2mph = actual speed, so the following is fairly accurate..

rev limiter kicks in at the following- 1st=45mph, 2nd=63mph, 3rd=ticket, have never been able to hit the rev limiter in 4th or 5th ( I don't do track days).
I shift at what "feels like" the right spot, a combination of engine noise, bike vibrations, and indicated speed. Don't really think I am shifting too soon, but I could be.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello out there

Thanks Y'All

Mike Wynn
i have ridden a 900 that was traded in with both front and rear scootworks pulleys. it had a BAK, PCIII and hard krome res-tecs. It was a dog! (by this i mean slow and dissapointing). a bone stock 900 would run circles around it. not only off the line, but passing power as well.
with these i imagine you would have to down shift at least 1 maybe 2 gears to pass or merge, and it still wont be as quick as you would like.

if all you are doing is touring the country via interstate, then it may suit you well. but the owner of the bike wasnt happy with it, and neither was any of us at the dealership that rode it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts