Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'm a bit conservative in my old age when it comes to prevention. I always will wear protective gear when riding which includes a modular helmet. Modular so I can flip up the face shield and chin guard when stopped and not have to take off the helmet to cool off a bit or communicate. I picked matte black because of looks, knowing that Hi Viz yellow would be safer, but I still have some stupid vanity it seems. Maybe next helmet and/or jacket will be Hi Viz..we will see.

I realize folks mostly choose their level of protection based on looks, comfort and the law and maybe some fear of an unexpected "get off". Mine's the last, I know I fear road rash and broken bones the most and am willing to look rather stupid to some while on a black V1700 cruiser/bagger (spell check wrote "bragger".. pretty funny!). But that's my choice and since I am a senior citizen, I can tell them where to go and for the most part, get away with it (crazy old man!) :)

WEG

·
Banned
179 Posts
I wear a full face this time of the year around here in Western Pennsylvania. Also a scarf, gloves & Long Johns too. The full face keeps most of the cold air off my face. I like the open type helmet when it is warm out. Then there are the Dumb people who do not wear any type of a helmet. No helmets are allowed here in Pennsylvania & Ohio area where I live. Just can't think of what my head would look like if it hit the payment doing about 65 MPH. Most likely it would resemble an egg splattered on the road.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good thoughts guys. Yeah i have a full face for my sport bike its mostly people giving me hell for the "look" of a helmet i think on the cruiser. I agree with whats been said here

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
The only helmets I've ever owned are/were full face helmets. I've gotten comments, sure. I've also gotten comments because my bike is the wrong brand, the wrong color, the wrong size. When I was a kid I wore glasses and some punk kid called me "four eyes". Some people never grow up. It's really not a big deal. Ride what you want and how you want.

I'm not a safety nazi, I don't scoff at people in half helmets or no helmets. As long as they are enjoying the ride, that's what counts. But full-face helmets definitely offer the best protection; both in a crash and from the elements. (It's nice when hitting debris, dust, smoke, etc., to just be able to close the visor). I HAVE ridden with 3/4 helmets and 1/2 helmets. Personally, I found them to be less comfortable. The half helmet pulled and tugged in the wind, and the 3/4 helmet actually feels goofier than a full face to me; and didn't really feel any different than my full face. The half shell was definitely an uncomfortable lid; and I can see why so many like non-lined 'fake' half helmets; because they don't mushroom out and catch the wind. But, a full face also doesn't catch the wind. The air just moves around it!

A lot of people ask me if I get "hot" and personally I don't. I ride with my vents open and the visor open (with safety glasses underneath). Plenty of airflow.

There's a lot of good reasons to choose a lot of different helmets. Just pick what works for you. Personally, wearing a helmet different than the one you want to wear simply because someone else doesn't like it seems like mismatched priorities! Don't let folks you don't know have that much authority over your life and decision making.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very good read man thanks for the input. I have heard that full face on a cruiser sue to seating position causes it to tug up on your face due to the wind. Ill have to give it a try . I dont really like the no helmet riding (other than comfort) it doesnt feel safe

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ill also add im 24 and just bought a mean streak so i have alot of inmature friends. My other ride that i still ride is a 2004 zx10r so two different worlds. I love them both for different reasons

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would guess about half the riders I see on cruisers wear a full face, so I'm used to the look. I wear a Scorpion full face and don't have any wind issues. I ride both with and without the windscreen and no helmet issues either way.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
I suppose at 24 you may feel the peer pressure a bit more than us older guys. I'm 55 and wear a full face convertible all the time. Doesn't make much sense to me wear different protective gear on different types of bikes (well, maybe if you are at the track!). If you hit the road it's not going to check what type of bike you came off of before crushing your skull or grinding your skin to the bone. (May be taboo to use that language in general but hey, we are on the safety forum here.)

·
Registered
578 Posts
Unless you have a windshield, any helmet will have some pull. I have always worn a full face because I like the way my face looks. Ridden and crashed several dirt bikes, and the first thing to contact the ground is usually your chin. I just got a flat black Scorpion EXO-1100, it's designed for a more upright, touring position and I like it. I don't really care what others think of my 'gear', they're not the ones that have to deal with the recovery process if I go down.

If you want to see what the 'cool kids' look like when they meet the ground, look up some crash videos on youtube. There's plenty of dumb ass out there willing to show you.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I know plenty of older folks who are just as fussy about what other people wear.

I've never had an issue with tugging or pulling; just the opposite. A proper fit is key. Go try them on, research proper full face helmet fit, etc. It needs to fit properly. There are full faces out there that are less aggressive aerodynamically and are more geared towards cruiser and sport touring markets.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Then there are the Dumb people who do not wear any type of a helmet.
Well, that's a bit harsh, eh?

Personally, I almost always wear a full-face helmet. But, I don't judge the folks that don't. It's just the choice that works out best for me.

·
Banned
179 Posts
Well, that's a bit harsh, eh?

Personally, I almost always wear a full-face helmet. But, I don't judge the folks that don't. It's just the choice that works out best for me.
No I do not think it is harsh at all. If you do not protect your head your plain DUMB or STUPID which ever you choose. Think about it. Even if you do not cause a crash yourself the guy in the car behind you or from the side of you could whack you and then if you have no helmet and you crack your head on the pavement without a helmet guess what ???

I even wear one if riding around the yard. Never know if something like a wheel bearing might lock up on the thing and cause you to go over the bars or hit a rut in the dirt etc etc... Just plain dumb not to protect your head. I am not forcing anyone to wear one that is the riders choice but I sure think it is plain stupid when a guy does not wear one and takes the chance of being brain dead over a small thing like wearing a helmet could guard against. Even with a helmet your not fully protected but why take the chance is all I am saying. I had a good friend wearing a helmet on his snowmobile hit a tree one time and not even going fast. Dead on impact from head trauma even with the helmet. But he tried anyways but still gone. So it is up to the guy who wants to take a chance or not!:eek:

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
No I do not think it is harsh at all.
While I don't want to start a war here, I just got to weigh in. I wear full gear all the time and scoff at folks that don't. I'll admit that. At the same time, after a lot of thought I've decided that it's not really fair to condemn people (call them dumb) because of the risks they choose to take. We all take risks, especially we folks who choose to climb on a MC when there are perfectly good armored cages in the driveway. It's really a matter of degree. Mountain climbers take risks for the reward of the experience but I'll never understand it.

On a related note, my real concern is not for those informed folks who choose to take the risks associated with not wearing a helmet, but with folks who really are uninformed about the risks. I often see a young girl on the back of a sports bike nearly naked accept for a helmet. My guess is her parents, who grew up believing that if you are wearing a helmet you are safe, have no idea the risk she is taking with rest of her body. I just got back into MC a few years ago after riding a few years in the late 70's and was shocked at how much I did not know!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
While I don't want to start a war here, I just got to weigh in. I wear full gear all the time and scoff at folks that don't. I'll admit that. At the same time, after a lot of thought I've decided that it's not really fair to condemn people (call them dumb) because of the risks they choose to take. We all take risks, especially we folks who choose to climb on a MC when there are perfectly good armored cages in the driveway. It's really a matter of degree. Mountain climbers take risks for the reward of the experience but I'll never understand it.

On a related note, my real concern is not for those informed folks who choose to take the risks associated with not wearing a helmet, but with folks who really are uninformed about the risks. I often see a young girl on the back of a sports bike nearly naked accept for a helmet. My guess is her parents, who grew up believing that if you are wearing a helmet you are safe, have no idea the risk she is taking with rest of her body. I just got back into MC a few years ago after riding a few years in the late 70's and was shocked at how much I did not know!
You hit it on the head. One of the problems, as motorcyclists, of scoffing or criticizing the safety choices of others is that no matter how much gear we wear there's someone in an SUV criticizing our decision to ride a motorcycle. On one end of the spectrum you have people who think wearing a helmet, any helmet, makes you totally safe. And on the other end of the spectrum; you have people who think everyone on a motorcycle is going to die by the third time they ride it. So why perpetuate it? Insomuch as you or I, gear or not, don't want some non-motorcyclist to tell us how dangerous riding a motorcycle is; we shouldn't decide it's our responsibility to scoff at folks who ride the same motorcycles we do but make different decisions regarding safety gear.

Misinformation is another thing entirely. I certainly do have a problem with folks telling people, especially new riders, that helmets are more dangerous, snap necks, cause accidents, etc. That's just plain bull. It's refuted time and time again. And frankly, the anti-helmet law lobby is shooting itself in the foot by testifying to congress over and over again (at least here in MO); that they should get to choose because helmets are dangerous and snap necks. And then the opponents very easily shut that down by saying "Umm, not in every single peer reviewed study ever done. Ever." If they'd continue on a path of arguing it as an individual right; they'd have more credibility. And, frankly, that IS the correct argument. That it's an individual right. Not that helmets are bad, because they aren't.

But if you recognize that helmets help alleviate risks of certain types of injuries in certain types of crashes (and that that happens to be the most common, and most devastating injuries in the most common types of crashes); and you're fine with accepting those risks, then I've got no problem with what you wear! "I'm never gonna crash" is equally as disturbing, for me. But, we're all adults and can make those decisions. But if that's your attitude (helmets don't work, they are worse than not wearing one, or you'll never crash); at least keep it to yourself and don't convince young new riders of that drivel.

·
Registered
238 Posts
It's all about the benefit vs risk thing again. While I vote that helmets and gear are definitely a good idea, I don't scoff or look down on those that don't either. It's too much mental energy to get ticked at them and it doesn't do anybody any good anyways, so why bother? Just enjoy the ride.

I'm 25m and currently own a lid and full face. While I admit I've taken a bike out on a light test spin when there wasn't a proper helmet available, I certainly don't advise it or make it a habit. I'm still rebuilding my bike, but my thoughts are to use the lid on my 4 mile, light traffic, and low speed commute to work in nice weather or group riding and use the full face for most everything else (road trips, interstates, most anything city, etc).

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Like has been said before. We're all taking on higher risk just by riding motorcycles.

But, I'm going to stray a little here and say that I'd prefer everyone to wear a helmet.
I don't buy into the "it's just a different choice" argument.
The fact is; besides getting effective training, wearing a helmet is the single most effective choice you can make to mitigate your risk of death.

I don't think people who choose not to wear ATGATT should be castigated. But, the decision sure as heck doesn't deserve to hold the same merit as wearing protection.

And, NO, I'm not against freedom of choice and I'm not some kind of legislative action crusader.

But, choices should be evaluated on merit; not some mamby pamby "everyone gets a star" system.

Kinda like health vs lifestyle.
We all know that cheeseburgers, chocolate malts and sitting on our backside all day can be fun.
But, a healthier diet with some exercise is a better decision.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.