Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have made the choice to always ride with a full face helmet...

Make what you want of that, but I feel much safer. A coworkers husband got cut off in town here by a tractor trailer turning left in front of him, and the only real injuries he had were to his face. He is just finishing his fourth round of surgeries. Needless to say, this could have almost been done away with , if he was wearing a full face, or at least a modular helmet.

My first bike.....
A 1996 Ninja 500

And the helmet that I choose....
A HJC IS-MAX BT

I wanted modular for my first helmet to help overcome that claustropohbic feeling with an easy face plate lift. White was on purpose for pure visability reasons and I was told its cooler in the sun...... different argument for a different post!:) Plus the built in sun visor is awesome!:D

Well my wife surprised me with this beauty this summer.
A 2012 Vulcan 900 Custom Special Edition

Awesome bike, and I've always wanted a cruiser. This baby was made for me!
But to be truthful, I wasn't feeling the helmet anymore....
And, I hate to say it, but it was for pure vanity reasons.:cool:
Those half helmets sure look cool, but I just can't do it.

Well one of the local bike dealers in town had their end of the season yard sale, and I found the perfect helmet to solve all my problems.
Cool looking, full face, and flows with the bike.
An Icon Airframe Infernal

Awesome fit, great airflow, and even safer with the SNELL Certification.
The only thing I miss is the sun visor, but my shades fit in there without a problem.

I can have my cake and eat it to.

·
Registered
61 Posts
couple months ago a car pulled out in front of my buddy and he face planted at 50mph into is fairings, don't ask me How he managed that one but... his face was pretty much trashed. Broken cheeks and nose, he even got a set of dentures out of the deal. He is back riding today, "with" full face protection this time. I prefer the half helmet look, but full protection is a good thing and peace of mind for your loved ones

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did I happen to mention that I got that Icon helmet brand new in box for $50 at the clearance sale.......

·
Registered
189 Posts
Congrats on the helmet! I had a bad bike wreck in march where I flipped my bike 3 times. Sustained numerous amounts of damage to the rest of my body, but my FF saved my life. Won't ride w out it now.

You're making a good choice to wear one. I always say to each his own but for me the helmet is the only choice.

FYI locally there has been 3 mc wrecks in the last month. All 3 riders weren't wearing helmets and all 3 sustained severe head trauma that would have not occurred if only wearing a helmet.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DOT standards is the minimum here by law. I live in central British Columbia, Canada and that just changed this year. Before that all that was required was to wear a helmet, but it didnt have to be anything special. A peice of cardboard strapped to your head met the requirement.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I love my full face. I'm not a 'you're an idiot if you don't' kind of guy, wear what you want. But I think everyone should at least TRY a quality, correctly fit full face (not your buddies old helmet his buddy gave him!). I find that mine is more comfortable than some 3/4 helmets I've worn 4-wheeling. The protection from the elements is nice, and with the visor open (wearing safety glasses) and vents open I get tons of airflow. And when I come around a corner and see a huge swarm of bugs or flying debris, one click slap and my visor is down and I'm sealed out of it!

So for me it's more than just the protection aspect, I think it makes the ride (ESPECIALLY long distance, lots of miles in one day riding) more enjoyable. I've got a handful of 500+ mile days on my 900 and I can't imagine doing them without a FF. It'd be as bad as going without a windshield!

I also try to buy helmets that are rated above and beyond DOT, or at the very least is from a reputable manufacturer. All that is required for the DOT standard is for the manufacturer to 'claim' they did the tests required. Helmets (Especially half helmets, as it's difficult to maintain the standard AND be low profile, since those are on the edge of coverage) have been pulled from the shelves before when it was determined they didn't meet DOT standards and the company failed to properly test them. But, that doesn't do anything for all of the riders who bought them who might find out the hard way their helmets didn't actually meet DOT standards. That's why I like third part independent testing (Like Snell, which is how my helmet is rated). Or at the very least, a company I can trust to have actually COMPLETED the testing. (Icon, HJC, Shoei, Arai, etc.) People whose reputation is on the line too much to have the embarrassment of selling a helmet that was below the DOT standard (which isn't much).

Of course, just because something doesn't have a third party rating doesn't mean it doesn't meet those, it just means the manufacturer didn't spent the time or money having it tested by an outside agency. But it is nice to have the peace of mind that my helmet model was tested by someone other than the manufacturer to well exceed DOT specs.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
I only ride with a full-face helmet, but it's a modular. It's much easier to put on while wearing glasses. I think that structurally they're probably not as good as a solid one, but I'll take that compromise. BTW, If anyone has a recommendation for a really good modular, I would like to hear it
Thanks!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I only ride with a full-face helmet, but it's a modular. It's much easier to put on while wearing glasses. I think that structurally they're probably not as good as a solid one, but I'll take that compromise. BTW, If anyone has a recommendation for a really good modular, I would like to hear it
Thanks!
You know, I kind of want a modular too. For the laziest reason in the world. (I don't need it for sunglasses I found some awesome thin plastic ones that I just stick on once the helmet is on).

But, now that my bike is configured in such a way I can ride from tank to tank, I kinda want to be able to flip it up and take a drink of water or something while I'm cruising along the interstate! hehe.

I'm interested to see what the actual crash-test results are on a modular. Plenty of them are Snell, et al, rated.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Switched to FF about 20 years ago. Lower half locks in place until you pull the latch to rotate up, both clear and tinted visors can be used alone or together, lots of air vents, red LED lightson rear of helmet than can burn steady or flash for night driving. Can also buy wireless that lights the LED's when brakes are applied. Pricey but dealer cut price as part of deal with bike. Saw several graphs showing where most motorcycle head injuries occur. The majority, about 1/4, are facial, in the jaw area. Was enough for me to switch to FF.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm on my second vega modular. The first one did its job. Lol I bought the 2nd one due to once you've been in a wreck with one it's best to replace it from what I heard.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
On rare occasions I'll throw on a brain bucket - quick run to the station to fill up. I've been wearing full face for decades. Back in the '70s, had my share of bug-in-face, rain, whatever. My son-in-law dumped his bike several months ago, the front of his FF looked like a grinder had been taken to it. Leather jacket was ate up, but his upper body was just bruised. Jeans however, don't provide much protection, so he got some road rash on one leg. The bad news was that he shattered a heel, will likely never walk normally again. But it could have been oh so much worse. That FF helmet works!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks!
I really liked my HJC. Awesome fit, easy to open, good visor, and the built in sun visor. You don't have to get white they have other colours, I just liked the white one!

You know, I kind of want a modular too. For the laziest reason in the world. (I don't need it for sunglasses I found some awesome thin plastic ones that I just stick on once the helmet is on).

But, now that my bike is configured in such a way I can ride from tank to tank, I kinda want to be able to flip it up and take a drink of water or something while I'm cruising along the interstate! hehe.

I'm interested to see what the actual crash-test results are on a modular. Plenty of them are Snell, et al, rated.
FYI, there are only two modular helmets with a SNELL rating, and of those not even all the different sizes got the OK.
Here is the link to the SNELL website, and it has a great search function.
Here is the results of a modular helmet search.
The LS2 FF394 Modular Helmet in sizes (XL) and (XXL) meet the M2010 Certification.
The Zeus 3000 Modular Helmet in size (S) meet the M2010 Certification.

On rare occasions I'll throw on a brain bucket - quick run to the station to fill up. I've been wearing full face for decades. Back in the '70s, had my share of bug-in-face, rain, whatever. My son-in-law dumped his bike several months ago, the front of his FF looked like a grinder had been taken to it. Leather jacket was ate up, but his upper body was just bruised. Jeans however, don't provide much protection, so he got some road rash on one leg. The bad news was that he shattered a heel, will likely never walk normally again. But it could have been oh so much worse. That FF helmet works!
I'm glad to hear that your son-in-law made it through that. Another reason why I wear my riding boots all the time!

Men's Throttle Motorcycle Boot by Milwaukee Motorcycle Clothing Company

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
FYI, there are only two modular helmets with a SNELL rating, and of those not even all the different sizes got the OK.
Here is the link to the SNELL website, and it has a great search function.
Here is the results of a modular helmet search.
The LS2 FF394 Modular Helmet in sizes (XL) and (XXL) meet the M2010 Certification.
The Zeus 3000 Modular Helmet in size (S) meet the M2010 Certification.
I've been thinking of buying a new helmet myself, but I am pretty strict about requiring the SNELL sticker. Add to that I want it to be modular, flip-down sunshield, Bluetooth, light, comfy, quiet, and good-looking (of course). Integrated LED lights would be a nice safety feature as well. What the hell, add on a transporter control, heads-up display and laser beams for cagers on phones! Huh, no luck finding one.

The LS2 FF394 looks promising, but I cannot find one review of it. The flyer suggests Bluetooth support, but I'm guessing that is going to be an aftermarket clip-on, as I see no controls. Oh well, keep on looking ...

·
Registered
507 Posts
Helmets are definitely a matter of preference.

I have always preached nothing but FF (including my modular helmet) and always have worn a FF helmet.....up until a few months ago. It was stinkin' hot and I saw a good 3/4 (with face shield) on sale (DOT approved of course). I figured a little extra airflow up into the face wouldn't be a bad thing. So, I bought it. And ended up loving it!! Not just the extra airflow, but the fact that the field of view was at least 50% greater than with my full face or modular. (I have owned a few different helmets, not sure if I just pick nones with limited visibility or what) but It was like going from horse blinders to no horse blinders. Lane changes immediately became safer because you can actually see a lot more during your shoulder check.

Admittedly, it doesn't offer the protection of a FF. But it has enhanced my ride. That is for sure. Now I switch between my 3/4 and FF depending on a few factors:

Full Face:

- Longer rides
- Any time I know I will be going on the Highways
- If it is cold (er) out

Open face (3/4):

- Shorter jaunts close to home, especially if it is wicked HOT out

Why? Because my shorter rides (2 -4 hours) where I am riding close to home (within 100km) NEVER involve highway or high speeds. They are leisurely rides in the country. Could I still crash and smash my face? Absolutely. But that is a risk vs. reward thing, just like everything else.

If I could find a good FF helmet with awesome airflow (yes, mine all have vents) and a great field of view, I would wear that all the time.

It is kind of funny. I hear people say things like "you are foolish to wear anything but a full face helmet". "3/4 helmets don't offer any protection". "Your face will be mangled in that helmet if you ever crash" And these are the same people with a full face helmet, riding in sandals, shorts, and a tee shirt. Or even shirtless.

Matt

·
Registered
71 Posts
I wear a brain bucket sometimes and a full face most of the time. I really like my full face though, shoei qwest. Had it over a year, nice and comfy. My wife has an Arai RX-Q and loves it. I just did a weekend ride and it rained most of one of the days. I was glad I had my full face on that day as it stinks riding in a brain bucket when it rains. I also like it on sunny days as the smoked shield is great.

·
Registered
450 Posts
The Nolan N43E Trilogy helmets look like they have a large field of vision for a full face. From what I can see as well, they can convert to a 3/4 with the removal of the chinbar. I think this means it isn't SNELL rated though. They do have room for the Nolan N-COM units as well, but I'm not sure how good those are.

http://www.leatherup.com/c/Nolan-N43E-N-Com-Helmets/4/158.html

·
Registered
507 Posts
This is also very interesting:

http://www.ncrider.com/Helmet-Page.htm

I don't know how much proof is in the claim that it traps 2/3's of the head heat and adds to fatigue, but I will re-iterate what I said earlier, it provides way more airflow and feels good riding with it. My head doesn't get nearly as hot, and it is WAY more comfortable.

The other comment "Helmets reduce side vision an average of 41 degrees, representing a 16% impairment to the normal field of vision." seems true, to me anyway. I found (as I mentioned) that going to a 3/4 helmet was like removing a set of horse blinders.

I don't agree (Just my preference here; not trying to start a debate) that helmets should be optional, as that web page states, and much of the comments are narrow minded and naive, but comments regarding the field of vision and the airflow/heat/fatigue are certainly true in my opinion.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The Nolan N43E Trilogy helmets look like they have a large field of vision for a full face. From what I can see as well, they can convert to a 3/4 with the removal of the chinbar. I think this means it isn't SNELL rated though. They do have room for the Nolan N-COM units as well, but I'm not sure how good those are.

http://www.leatherup.com/c/Nolan-N43E-N-Com-Helmets/4/158.html
I have a NOLAN N104 and love it! A huge field of vision! Love that I can flip it open and it has a built in sunshade.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
I don't agree (Just my preference here; not trying to start a debate) that helmets should be optional, as that web page states, and much of the comments are narrow minded and naive, but comments regarding the field of vision and the airflow/heat/fatigue are certainly true in my opinion.
CustomRider, I agree with you. I would add a caveat, however. I believe that all riders, upon receiving their driver's license, should sign a 'Release From Care' for the state for any injury sustained or aggravated by specific unsafe acts: no helmet, no footwear covering the ankles, no gloves/jacket/pants designed for reducing injuries (pads/Kevlar, etc). In other words, if someone chooses to not wear a helmet, I'm fine with that. Just don't expect the public to pick up the tab when their insurance maxes out cuz they were doing wheelies down a six lane highway in heavy traffic with no helmet or gloves, wearing nothing but flip-flops, muscle shirt and cut-offs, and then crashes.

The opinions of this old guy are based on decades of some painful life lessons, in addition to just being old and cranky! :D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts