Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2008 900 Custom with VH Slash Cut Staggered pipes installed and also have the stock pipes. Even with quiet baffles installed and wearing noise-canceling earphones I find the pipes too loud (I measured 94-94dB at 2500RPM sitting on the bike), and I prefer to not lose my hearing (my ears ring after I ride).

Along with the bike and the loud pipes came a fuelpak. My question is - does it make sense to keep the fuelpak and re-program it for the stock pipes? Will there be any benefit? Thanks.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hi, I would leave it on the bike, just adjust to off or re-set it for the way you like it. I do not know what air intake you have but even with all stock set-up, the bike come turned to meet EPA. I would say a stock bike with the fuelpak set to the min would run better and cooler then stock. If you run a K and N air filter and stock pipes like I do, I have mine set to 1/2, 1/2, 0 and the bike runs great. If you do not like it or think you do not need it you can always remove it and sell it. If you want to sell these pipes let me know, I maybe interested. Hope that helped.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Fuel pak with stock intake?

I'm thinking about putting those V&H pipes on my 2009 Classic LT. If I use the stock intake, do I still need to re-tune the bike?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have these pipes. Deeper sound compared to oem pipes debaffled. You will not need fuelpak with oem intake... marbeling if you get after fire. Make sure bolts are torqued to spec. Check again after 100 or so miles.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm thinking about putting those V&H pipes on my 2009 Classic LT. If I use the stock intake, do I still need to re-tune the bike?
If you just do the pipes, the bike will still run OK without the re-tune, but it will not run any better, so why not do the K and N air filter (which in the long run is cheaper then a stock air filter) and add a FI2000, then you can adjust the bike for whatever you have or change. Many have just done the pipes and are happy with that and like I said the bike will be OK, so if that is as far as you want to go, just do that and ride. hope that helped.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
when only putting on pipes you dont need any type of management system. but to get full performanace out of the bike, then you should do it. in the long run if you plan to keep the bike i would do it. also getting a new filter changes a lot too. more air flow so you would need to correct the Air Fuel Ratio. same for the exhaust. the new after market exhaust is more free flowing allowing more air in thr system. if you get a lot of back firing or even lower mileage then get a management system

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm running the stock pipes now, along with a KN filter in a stock filter housing. Would any one know the VH Fuelpak map settings for this setup? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I removed the VH pipes and put back the stock pipes I figured it out just by looking at them; that's how straightforward it is. Also, the aftermarket pipes come with instructions, so it should be a breeze to do the swap. You'll be re-using most of the stock bolts, so keep them handy. Good luck, especially with your hearing - they are LOUD!!!

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would someone have the VH Fuelpak map for an 08 Custom with stock pipes and a KN filter in a stock housing? I have emailed VH but they are away the entire Holiday season. Thanks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
if you just change the air filter, and de-baffle the pipes, then you dont have to mess with the computer. the stock ECU has a pretty broad range to adjust itself to. think about this, when you change the air filter and exhaust on your FI car, do you have to mess with the computer? no. i mean, you can change the FI management system for a little more horsepower i guess, but if horsepower is your only goal, then get a crotch rocket. these bikes aren't crazy fast no matter what you do to them. not trying to make anyone mad, just trying to get some people to think before they waste their money, and then are dissapointed afterwards.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No offense taken; I appreciate the input. I'm interested only because I happen to have the Fuelpak, which came with the bike, along with VH Slash Staggered pipes, which I have taken off and will be selling.

I figure since I already have the Fuelpak installed, if I can get a few more HP out of the stock pipes, why not? Of course, it may just pay to sell the whole thing as a package. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
well do you ever plan on getting new pipes or upgrading the filter or anything? because if you do then you might as well keep it. theres no harm done if you have it on a stock bike, it will only make it run smoother.

but if you are going to keep the bike stock and dont really care for any of that high tech stuff then sell it as a package. because you will attract more customers (one stop shopping for them)

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Right. I'd like to try it for a few miles with the stock setup to see if it makes a difference before I decide, but I don't know the fuel map settings. I guess I'll have to wait until next week and hope that VH gets back to me with the settings. Any harm running the bike with the Fuelpak settings for the Slash Staggereds? Will it be too rich or too lean?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
depends on how it is set up. i know on some exhausts the bike becomes too rich causing actual "fire" to come out the exhaust on heavy deceleration. but i also know some exhaust to cause the bike to run to lean.

if you want you can run with the stockers and fuelpak. see if you get back firing and/or drop in MPG. it will give you an answer whether or not it is lean or rich.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts