Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed it Wednesday and now I have a fuel injector light coming on about 3 seconds after startup. I finally figured out how to pull the code and it's a 51............short in first coil pack. Goes away after I remove the FuelPak. Any ideas out there?.......:(

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Yeah, call the manufacturer and ask them what's causing it. May be something peculiar to the bike you're putting it on(model year???).

·
Registered
987 Posts
Fuel pak

I had a Fuel Pak installed in Sturgis a couple of years ago and it nearly resulted in a bad accident by causing a low speed stall in an intersection. I took it back to JP Cycles to see what the hell, and one of the guys there told me to take it out and try the bike without it. It ran fine, and still does, in the cool heights of northwestern Alberta, Canada. I already had V&H pipes on, added the Big Air Kit and the Fuel Pak. There was a guy there named Scott Salvi who had an 04 V2K modded right up, and he had the same issue with the light on etc. He also had his fuel controller taken off to get it to run right.
He told me that the early 2000's ran too rich in the low end stock anyway, and that adding air and exhaust wouldn't require the fuel controller in anything but a race bike. I can't say if the later models have the same issue with a "fat" mixture, buy my 04 runs way better now than it did with the controller.

·
Registered
445 Posts
adding air and exhaust wouldn't require the fuel controller in anything .
Ok am I reading this right ?
You said you had pipes and air kit on before. So you rode the bike before adding the fuel pack ? So it ran fine and you later added the pack ?

·
Registered
987 Posts
Fuel Pak

No, I had the Fuel Pak and the Baron Big Air Kit put on the same day. I had the V&H pipes installed long before. I took the bike for a ride after the Air Kit and the Fuel Pak were installed and it backfired, stalled etc, and the FI light stayed on. I took it back for reprogramming twice, and we couldn't find the right mix late in the day, so I rode the bike back to Spearfish like that. Next morning, I was going down the main drag in Spearfish and the bike stalled while making a left across traffic, nearly dumping the bike. I pedaled it off the road, started it again and took it back to Sturgis. I spoke to the guys at JP and they agreed to take another look. I met Scott Salvi there and he told me just to take the Fuel Pak off saying that the 04's run rich enough not to need a fuel controller. We took it off, and the bike runs great. So great in fact that I have an issue with rear tire life.....:cool:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm gonna give the FuelPak one more shot to see how it works. The codes are injector malfunction codes. I was reading them wrong. I unhooked the FuelPak and rode it today. It runs great and has very little backfiring. Just a few pops. I wanna see if the FuelPak makes it any better. If it does, I'll keep it. If not, I'll remove it and keep it stock. I just put a K&N filter in the stock airbox. But it's bluing the pipes at the heads.....................:rolleyes:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's my thought as well. That's why I wanna give the FuelPak another chance...............:D

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
I put the Cobra FI2000 on my Vulcan and never looked back. I've heard of people having problems with some of the others out there but since I ordered the Cobra 2 into 1 pipes for the scoot I got the FI2000 to go along with them. Works fine and no problems.

You can even fine tune your settings and there are no mapping problems to deal with.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm stuck with this one for the moment. I'll give it another shot. Maybe I just got a bad one. Nothing is 100%. Someone will complain about all of them sooner or later.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
My V&H pipes are blued too and I'm running the stock air intake setup. That's why they have the cosmetic shields. :)

My guess is that the factory pipes would be blued too...except that you can't see bluing on the black pipes that are under the chrome cosmetic shields.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's my understanding that changing the exhaust and allowing more exhaust to escape without changing the air/fuel ratio contributes to bluing because you are running leaner and hotter. That's the impression I get. But, I'm not an expert..........:D

·
Registered
99 Posts
It's my understanding that changing the exhaust and allowing more exhaust to escape without changing the air/fuel ratio contributes to bluing because you are running leaner and hotter. That's the impression I get. But, I'm not an expert..........:D
If your bike has an oxygensensor, it can adjust fuel mixture in some degree.
To be sure, have the bike run on a dyno. Yes, it is expensive.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No oxygen sensor, that's why I'm installing the FuelPak.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got the FuelPak controller installed and working. Runs great and stopped the popping on deceleration.........:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts