Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to ask a stupid question but the V900 is the first bike I've owned that has a little metal plate inside the fuel neck. When I refueled my other bikes I just put the nozzle in at an angle and slowly filled the tank. I could see when it was getting full. The 900 has that plate a short distance inside the neck with very little visibility to the fuel level and if you hit the plate, fuel splashes out. I guess my question is this; are you supposed to just stick the pump nozzle all the way to the boot like in your car and hope the pump shuts off before fuel shoots out.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I assume the plate is the full level, as otherwise the lock would be sitting in gas, not to mention gas being forced out at the lock is re-inserted..

·
Registered
279 Posts
I assume the plate is the full level, as otherwise the lock would be sitting in gas, not to mention gas being forced out as the lock is re-inserted..

·
Registered
382 Posts
I put the nozzle just below the plate and fill very slow. I stop when the fuel is right at the plate.
this is how I refuel as well.

I assume the plate is the full level, as otherwise the lock would be sitting in gas, not to mention gas being forced out at the lock is re-inserted..
Also if you look closely there's an overflow tube... overfill the tank, and that's where the fuel goes- not your engine.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys

I'm curious if the pump would shut off at full like when filling a car/truck. Although not really curious enough to try it out. I'm not sure what that plate really does for us other than make refueling more difficult.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Thanks guys

I'm curious if the pump would shut off at full like when filling a car/truck. Although not really curious enough to try it out. I'm not sure what that plate really does for us other than make refueling more difficult.
I stick the nozzle down in the large hole in the plate so that it is maybe 1/4 inch below the plate. I actually let the nozzle rest so that the tip is against the hole in the plate and neck is against the top of the tank. Sort of like you do with a car, but not so deep.

Then I squeeze the pump handle and it always kicks off the back pressure switch right at the bottom of the plate. The back pressure switch at all the gas stations I have visited so far is sensitive enough to stop the flow right where the tip of the nozzle meets the fuel level.

I guess if you get a nozzle with a bad switch, you are screwed, but I have only found one of those in 35 years of pumping gas. I pumped about a half gallon down the side of my Jeep before I could stop it. I did spray gas on my bike once, but it was because I was trying to be too careful and let the nozzle slip out of the hole in the plate. If you let gravity hold it, you should be good.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Jeep pirate..........yeah remember the good ole days when they had a latch on the gas pumps so you could pump hands free. You could make quite a mess if the switch was bad.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I had a chunk of 2" PVC drain pipe left over from a home project. I cut a 1.5 inch piece, smoothed the edges and now use it to fuel up. It snaps right onto the lip of the fuel tank opening and I just inset the nozzel until it hits the plate and fuel up. When it shuts off, I remove the nozzel to a perfectly filled tank!!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I just let the pump spout rest against the side of the large hole, and aim down thru the small hole... this way I can see the fuel rise up in the tank, and allows me to fill it a little fuller if I need to... but you do have to have a steady hand.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I had a chunk of 2" PVC drain pipe left over from a home project. I cut a 1.5 inch piece, smoothed the edges and now use it to fuel up. It snaps right onto the lip of the fuel tank opening and I just inset the nozzel until it hits the plate and fuel up. When it shuts off, I remove the nozzel to a perfectly filled tank!!

Now that's ingenuity lol.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The first time I filled the tank on my 2009 ( which was this past Monday) The pump actually shut down own it's own when it was full. At least it did this first time.

·
Registered
941 Posts

You made the poormans McCuff.

I was riding in Wisconsin the first week I owned it. And the stinkin gas pump didn't stop on its own. Got gas all over, and it happened to my bro-law too. Place musta had junk pumps. Cuz normally I would hold the nozzle so that the little hole on the back side of the nozzle (which trips the pressure switch) was just above the metal plate and when the gas got there it would stop and I would be perfectly full.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have only been able to fill up to 4 gallons every time I have fueled up. From what I can see, the tank is pretty much full.

I have tried to wait long after the "Low Fuel" light is lit but still only 4 gallons. The question is, how many miles do you usually get after the light is lit before the tank is empty?

·
Registered
35 Posts
The low fuel light will come on with about 1 gallon left (probably a little more). On my 900 classic, doing mostly highway driving, I'm just over 200 miles when the light comes on, and it always takes 4 gallons. Of course, with the gas gauge error on these bikes, the needle has been on empty for about 35 miles at that point.

·
Registered
782 Posts
MOM says that the tank holds 5.7 gal. Of course, I have never put that much in. But even assuming 5 gal at 47mpg (worst I have ever gotten) I should still be good for 235 miles with some safety margin in the other .7 gal. I usually start looking for a station at around 200 miles.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts