Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a 2012 Vulcan Voyager (and I LOVE it!) but I noticed that the tank seems to run empty on not a lot of miles...around 160. At least, that's what the fuel gauge says.

The other day I was riding and over the course of about 20 miles the gauge went from 1/3 of a tank to the needle buried in the red with all the alerts going off on my dash about me about to run out of gas any second. When I filled the tank up, it took 4 gallons of gas. The manual says the tank is 5.3 gallons in size. So what gives?

·
Registered
179 Posts
That's just the nature of the beast. They all do that from what I hear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's just the nature of the beast. They all do that from what I hear.
But how many gallons are actually in a tank? If the gauge is showing it totally empty and I have an entire gallon of gas still in there, that's really bad! 20% discrepancy bad.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I think they do that because these bikes don't have a reserve like the older ones did. I've run mine until it took just over 5 gallons, so I'd say 5.3 is what they hold. When I had my 900 the fuel guage was off, too. I bent the float rod a bit and had it where it was pretty close to right. I've not fooled with the one on my Voyager. I usually just stop and fill up when it tells me to, but I am comfortable knowing that if I need it, I have a good 50 miles of cushion in there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yup. Filled up on Monday coming back from a long weekend. Trip meter was at 205. Took 5.2 Gallons. Needless to say was a bit nervous :laugh2:

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
5.3 gal tank w/ approx 1 gal reserve when the warning light comes on (low fuel warning). there are several things that can affect the actual reserve size. the float that reads the tank fuel level is not super accurate and can even read low fuel at different levels on different bikes. that's why some people say it comes on at 1.2 gal left others w/ 0.9 gal left. cars are the same, but bigger tanks make the variations less apparent.

my bike gives the low fuel warning (on level ground) needing 4.3 gal.

also if you are going up hill, the angle will raise the float, so it will sense low fuel later because the float is nearer the rear of the tank. if you are going downhill, it will sense it sooner.

·
Registered
280 Posts
5.3 gal tank w/ approx 1 gal reserve when the warning light comes on (low fuel warning). there are several things that can affect the actual reserve size. the float that reads the tank fuel level is not super accurate and can even read low fuel at different levels on different bikes. that's why some people say it comes on at 1.2 gal left others w/ 0.9 gal left. cars are the same, but bigger tanks make the variations less apparent.

my bike gives the low fuel warning (on level ground) needing 4.3 gal.

also if you are going up hill, the angle will raise the float, so it will sense low fuel later because the float is nearer the rear of the tank. if you are going downhill, it will sense it sooner.
I find that on my Voyager when I am near the end of the fuel it gives me the warning when going up a hill sooner then on the level. I have to climb a steep hill just before I turn onto my street and when my fuel gauge is reading low it will come on when I climb the hill. When I am at the top I will clear the warning and it will not be flashing any more. Then I turn onto my street and it is a steep hill up to my garage and the warning will come on again.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
I find that on my Voyager when I am near the end of the fuel it gives me the warning when going up a hill sooner then on the level. I have to climb a steep hill just before I turn onto my street and when my fuel gauge is reading low it will come on when I climb the hill. When I am at the top I will clear the warning and it will not be flashing any more. Then I turn onto my street and it is a steep hill up to my garage and the warning will come on again.
i may have gotten it backwards. i haven't been able to ride since last august and i use mileage, not the warning light, to determine when to fill up because the light and miles to empty are so unreliable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm a little put off by how off everything related to fuel is on my 2011, too.

Fuel gauge reads empty with about 1.2gal remaining.

Low fuel light made one appearance at 1/8 tank, hasn't shown up otherwise in 10 tanks.

Fuel economy gauge reads at least 3mpg higher than Fuelly calculates.

Fuelly says I'm up to averaging 32.0 now, with a best tank at 34.0mpg.

Haven't had a chance to check the odometer vs. real life yet.

·
Registered
116 Posts
fuel and speed meters

Ya I hear ya on that 2011 Voyager here too.
rode for awhile with a GPS and noticed speedometer is off about 2-5 kph (indicates 120 but actual is 115)
and the digital fuel consumption indicator is optimistic.

300 kms at 120 kph is as far as i go between fill-ups.

some have suggested a different size rear tire (circumference) will correct the speedometer, however i'm not sure on that with ABS model.

if i stick with the speedo reading to speed limit then no smokey issues.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Ya I hear ya on that 2011 Voyager here too.
rode for awhile with a GPS and noticed speedometer is off about 2-5 kph (indicates 120 but actual is 115)
and the digital fuel consumption indicator is optimistic.

300 kms at 120 kph is as far as i go between fill-ups.

some have suggested a different size rear tire (circumference) will correct the speedometer, however i'm not sure on that with ABS model.

if i stick with the speedo reading to speed limit then no smokey issues.
I have been using a 180/65 for my rear Voyager (with ABS) tire with no problems for over 2 years now.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I have been using a 180/65 for my rear Voyager (with ABS) tire with no problems for over 2 years now.
That shouldn't cause an ABS problem. ABS only activates if a wheel stops spinning, stopping the bike from sliding (same as a car). It's the K-ACT integrated braking that Mother Kawi worries about. The balance between the front and rear brakes is calculated in part by the rpm of the individual wheels. Gross changes in tire O.D. can cause those calculations to be off. The question is, how much of a difference in balanced braking becomes an issue? I'll stick with stock sizes on my Vaquero but it's good to hear you haven't experienced any issues.

·
Registered
280 Posts
That shouldn't cause an ABS problem. ABS only activates if a wheel stops spinning, stopping the bike from sliding (same as a car). It's the K-ACT integrated braking that Mother Kawi worries about. The balance between the front and rear brakes is calculated in part by the rpm of the individual wheels. Gross changes in tire O.D. can cause those calculations to be off. The question is, how much of a difference in balanced braking becomes an issue? I'll stick with stock sizes on my Vaquero but it's good to hear you haven't experienced any issues.
Sorry, I neglected to say I have the K-ACT system on my 2015 Voyager. It is a very slight difference in the stock and the 180/65-R16 that I run.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=170-70r16-180-65r16

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
I've got just over 200 miles on a tank once, but, that was riding the Natchez Trace Parkway. Riding 45-50 mph. Generally though, I fill up at around 160-170 miles regardless of what the trip meter is reading. I have stretched it out till the fuel needle was buried below E. Took on 5.2 gal and left a lot of relief. That was in western Ontario Canada. I try to stay about 65 mph, anything above that and the mpg's go down exponentially. I'm seldom in a big hurry to get anywhere anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
I try to fill up before it gets over 150 miles. Generally around 140 - 145 miles. At my average 36 mpg (measured by gps and gallons used, not using the bike's numbers) I should get about 150 miles on 4.3 gallons. I like having a decent reserve. I have gotten nearly 200 miles and was running on fumes because my group got lost and couldn't find a gas station.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts