Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. I have an '06 Classic. Owner's manual says it hold 4.8 gallons of gasoline. My wife has an '09 LT and it holds 5.3 gallons. I've looked at both, tried to at least visually compare both tanks and they both appear to be the same size, at least on the outside. So where is the difference in fuel capacity that the .09 holds half a gallon more gas? Anyone know the answer to that question?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a 07 custom and when the low fuel light comes on i have just over a gallon left in the tank.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Well I've got an '06 LT and have put 5 gallons in it before. I typically put 4~4.5 gallons in it. So, whatever that tells you I guess LOL.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I just wonder where the difference in capacities come from, because I can't see any difference in exterior dimensions. It's a mystery to me.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
myster,, sometimes a tank is rated at a specific volume based upon its internal dimensions, usually when it was built for a gravity feed carb fed bike. then somebody at the factory goes and sticks an electric fuel pump inside the same size tank and now its capacity is reduced the amount of volume the internal pump takes up. yeah, from the outside it can be pretty mysterious.. jus sayin is all.

I have found that book specs are usually on the low side, but thats because I will drain a tank to the bottom and then go fill it up..all the way. Only Then do I absolutely know how much this puppy will hold.

others mistake capacity for rangeability. two diffren subjects. If you go ez on yor ride you can extend any given capacity. of course a bigger tank will go further, unless your habit is to hammer away vs mozey down the road.
Yep, I agree. I've got a friend who always grouses because I always get better gas mileage on my bike than he does--same bikes. But I often have to spend a lot of time catching up because he nails the throttle to the stop due to his love of hard acceleration and high speed!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just curious. I have an '06 Classic. Owner's manual says it hold 4.8 gallons of gasoline. My wife has an '09 LT and it holds 5.3 gallons. I've looked at both, tried to at least visually compare both tanks and they both appear to be the same size, at least on the outside. So where is the difference in fuel capacity that the .09 holds half a gallon more gas? Anyone know the answer to that question?
I have a '09 Custom 900. Spec book says 5.3 gals, but it's fitted with Calif emissions controls. Cuts out about top 3" of tank volume. Most I ever got into it was 4.5 gals (without over fill the CA emission thing). That was after running on the warning lite for about 40 miles.

Ride safe!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have an '11 Custom and when my light comes on, it takes about 3 gallons to top it off. That reminds me....I gotta get gas in the morning on the way to work.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Ok so I have to put my 2 cents in. Do people really care about how much gas their tank holds or how much they get per gallon? I just fill up the tank and ride I know when the light comes on I'm running low I got about another gallon or so give or take 50 miles. I even have a gps that tells me based on my total gallons and distance I got X left until its empty. I read people on here get all upset that the sensor is off. Really??? Should it be to the last drop? If you filled it and rode and the light came on OMG your upset that it should have another gallon or 2! Well my answer don't F with it just keep riding and in an hour or 50 miles stop and get gas! It's just that simple people. Don't get all bent out of shape. The dealer didn't rip you off!
Does anyone agree with me on this? Or should I really get my sensor fixed cause that's the way it should be?

Sent by Lordz of Fire!

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
I agree with BIAzE94.... just ride until the light comes on. Mostly, I am old school, I set the trip meter, and when it gets to about 180, I go ahead and get gas..... unless I am really starting out on a boonie trail that I haven't been on. My last bike (750 honda) only had a 3 gallon tank on it, so 150 miles max before getting juiced.....Never had a gas gauge on a bike until this one, and don't really see much need for it.....

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I'm not too concerned with how many gallons I put in when the fuel low light comes on or how far I can go on a tank before it runs dry. My question was more to why does the '07 to current 900's tanks hold 5.3 gallons, while the '06 only holds 4.8, when they appear to have identical outside dimensions. Just looking to see if anyone has a good explanation. Sort of, "Why does quart container A hold more than quart container B, when they're both quart containers ?"

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I'm not worried about fixing mine either. I use the trip meter as a backup, and know that when the light comes on, I've got a little while to go, start looking for a gas station.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well, I'm not too concerned with how many gallons I put in when the fuel low light comes on or how far I can go on a tank before it runs dry. My question was more to why does the '07 to current 900's tanks hold 5.3 gallons, while the '06 only holds 4.8, when they appear to have identical outside dimensions. Just looking to see if anyone has a good explanation. Sort of, "Why does quart container A hold more than quart container B, when they're both quart containers ?"
What is your speedometer like? electronic or driven by a cable? I believe there is a difference in the tank construction between the two as the newer electronic version does not require as much clearance on the underside of the tank as the earlier cable driven speedometer? I don't know what year the speedometer changed. I can't remember where I read that.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Yeah, I'm very concerned with my fuel tank capacity and how many miles I should expect per gallon. I have to be with my wife's skoot too (cuz she never remembers). Most of our rides take us well away from civilization, and often I have no idea if there are any country stores or gas stations between towns on the map (there usually aren't). You spend 8 or 10 hours riding through the mountains, you're gonna wanna know exactly how far you can get. If you know exactly what's up with your bike, you can feel secure you're not going to get stranded somewhere with no cell signal and nothing for supplies except half a bottle of diet Dr. Pepper and some Dill Pickle Spitz!

And because I know how much fuel I'm carrying and how far my bike can go on a gallon, I can IGNORE the poorly-calibrated low-fuel light. Wife's Shadow has neither gauge nor light...so don't have a choice on that one.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What is your speedometer like? electronic or driven by a cable? I believe there is a difference in the tank construction between the two as the newer electronic version does not require as much clearance on the underside of the tank as the earlier cable driven speedometer? I don't know what year the speedometer changed. I can't remember where I read that.
My speedo (actually, the bike's--I look terrible in speedos) is the same as on all the 900's.

Still can't figure out why the difference in fuel capacity between the two tanks. Maybe the thickness of the tank's walls, I don't know. Guess it doesn't really matter since I seem to get 50 mpg on the road as long as I don't succumb to the "need for speed." I've already played around with that long ago. I get at least 200 miles on a tank of gas, anyway, and I can't ride that long without getting off for a break anyway. Pretty much our limit is an hour at at time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts