Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife rides an '08 Classic (13k miles). Several times on out California trip and recently on a trip in eastern WA, her bike stopped about 50 miles after a fill-up during continuous 60 - 70 mph riding. There was no electrical problem.

The bike would not restart after the stall. One of the things that we were able to check was fuel level and after removal of the filler cap another attempt was made to start. This one was successful and it ran fine until 50, or so, miles on the next fill-up. Opening the filler cap produced the same temporary fix.

It appears that the gas leaving the tank to the FI is not being replaced by air and causing a partial vacuum. I'm sure there is a breather hose somewhere that should allow this to vent in air w/out allowing fumes to escape.

Has this happened to any of you? What or where should I look for an answer?

This has never happened to my '09 Custom.

TIA,

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Im sure there is an overflow / breather hose somewhere, if the bike is parked in hot sun after a fill up ... the gas expands and discharges from a tube somewhere on the tank, and the tube usually exits in front of the rear wheel, try removing the tank, it (the tube ) may be kinked underneath. 2 bolts under the seat, pick up the rear of the tank, lift it slightly and wriggle it off the 2 rubber grummets holding the front.... carefull as all the speedo connections are underneath also, you should get enough room to have a peek under there though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts