Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read the owners manual and did'nt see anything regarding fuel reserve tank, do we have one? And if we do, how big is it?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've read the owners manual and did'nt see anything regarding fuel reserve tank, do we have one? And if we do, how big is it?
Hey Aleco, Greybush is right but you'll find that an orange light goes on after riding for 160 miles or so (commuting for me, longer for others) this means you are hitting the "reserve" gas, it means you still have about 5 liters (1 gal) in the tank, get to the pump sometime...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey Aleco, Greybush is right but you'll find that an orange light goes on after riding for 160 miles or so (commuting for me, longer for others) this means you are hitting the "reserve" gas, it means you still have about 5 liters (1 gal) in the tank, get to the pump sometime...
The gas gauge and the light is all screwed up. My light came on last week and I rode another 10 miles before filling up and it only took 3.9 gallons meaning there was 1.5 gallons left with the gauge reading empty and light on?

·
Registered
83 Posts
El tanque de la moto tiene una capacidad the 5.3 galones. No hay reserva, hay un indicador luminoso que se enciende cuando tienes alrededor de 1.3 galones en el tanque. Tambien tienes el medidor de gasolina, que te indica si estas lleno o vacio.

Si quieres, puedes comprar un "Tour Tank" de medio galon por si acaso te quedas sin gasolina. http://www.tourtank.com/TourTubes.html

Doc

Yo naci en panama, pero me crié en Puerto Rico.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yes, it is screwed up. Just about all of the are. Read the Gas Gauge fix in the stickies - go to the last page and look for the youtube link from PacoMut. I just put this fix on my bike and it has really improved the gas gauge!

Doc

The gas gauge and the light is all screwed up. My light came on last week and I rode another 10 miles before filling up and it only took 3.9 gallons meaning there was 1.5 gallons left with the gauge reading empty and light on?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
It's a fuel injected bike, so you won't find a petcock or a reserve tank. Fuel injection systems require the fuel to be under pressure, which doesn't lend itself to work well with traditional petcock and reserve tank setups. (You'd have to have a really weird fuel pump setup).

Like others have said, just watch for the light. There is no way to switch between or shut off fuel on this bike. It also can't 'leak out' so there is no worries there, the fuel pump has to spin for fuel to leave the fuel tank!

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
that is about normal timing for the fuel light to come on leaving you plenty of fuel to get you to a gas station.....would you prefer the light come on when there is less than 1/2 gallon left and you are 50 miles from the nearest gas station?

Also the fuel gage and light are completely seperate, the gage runs from the float, and the light run from a seperate sending unit which attached to the fuel pump....

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
that is about normal timing for the fuel light to come on leaving you plenty of fuel to get you to a gas station.....would you prefer the light come on when there is less than 1/2 gallon left and you are 50 miles from the nearest gas station?

Also the fuel gage and light are completely seperate, the gage runs from the float, and the light run from a seperate sending unit which attached to the fuel pump....
+1

It's not an 'empty' light. You don't need a light to tell you it's empty. The sputtering and stalling engine is evidence enough of that. It's a 'time to look for a station' light. On some vehicles it's a 'panic' light. My Taurus is like that. When the light comes on brother you better be near a filling station or you're pushin'!

I kinda like the way the light is setup. It'll give ya 50 miles or so depending on the riding style. For example, if I'm riding to work/school and the light flips on, I know I need to stop and get gas on my way home, but I can still make it to work/school without stopping. On a long trip, doing some interstate miles, when the lights come on I know I should stop in the next few exits. On a long two-lane-road trip it's nice because it comes on to remind me I've not been watching my fuel, and even though I'm 35 miles from a gas station, that's okay because I'll make it! If the light didn't come on until there was a half a gallon left, I'd have ridden 35 miles PAST that gas station and really been stuck...

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts

+1

It's not an 'empty' light. You don't need a light to tell you it's empty. The sputtering and stalling engine is evidence enough of that. It's a 'time to look for a station' light. On some vehicles it's a 'panic' light. My Taurus is like that. When the light comes on brother you better be near a filling station or you're pushin'!

I kinda like the way the light is setup. It'll give ya 50 miles or so depending on the riding style. For example, if I'm riding to work/school and the light flips on, I know I need to stop and get gas on my way home, but I can still make it to work/school without stopping. On a long trip, doing some interstate miles, when the lights come on I know I should stop in the next few exits. On a long two-lane-road trip it's nice because it comes on to remind me I've not been watching my fuel, and even though I'm 35 miles from a gas station, that's okay because I'll make it! If the light didn't come on until there was a half a gallon left, I'd have ridden 35 miles PAST that gas station and really been stuck...
+1. When the light comes on you can easily ride another fifty miles before you need to be near a gas station. I like it the way it is. I once rode 262 miles; probably about 70 with the light on. I think there was still almost a half gallon left when I filled up.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went to the gas station to fill up the tank bc the light was on, it only took 3 gallons to fill it up and $16

1 - 11 of 11 Posts