Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what is yalls fuel range? I'm only getting about 120 miles before I have to hit reserve. I'm thinking it should go further and just curious to what everyone else is getting. I'm also disappointed with the lack of power too so I'm thinking it may need to be jetted.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
I get about 45 MPG. I have a 4.2 gal. tank, 3.1 with 1.1 reserve. i can go about 140 miles before reserve but I generally stop before that because gas stations here out west can be few and far between, so you get in the habit of gassing up when you can.

A few years ago I was on a trip through Idaho down into Nevada. I was running on fumes an came upon a gas station/travel center right on the Idaho/Nevada state line. The only station for miles and it tuirns out they were switching over their gas pumps and for some reason pulled them all out at once instead of replacing half of them at once an leaving the remaining ones to operate. So I had to turn around and go 13 miles back the way I came to a house next to the highway with a gas pump in the yard who would sell me gas for 4 dolars a gallon (it was just over two at the station) but I would have paid double that. I ended up getting some plastic one gallon bottles and filed them with gasoline and put one in each saddle bag for those long stretches of road. More than once I've been cruising through the desert and seen a gas station ahead only to get to it and discover it's a ghost town, all boarded up. And when it's 125 miles between services, ou gotta plan ahead, especially when you might ot see another car for hours.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I get about 45 MPG. I have a 4.2 gal. tank, 3.1 with 1.1 reserve. i can go about 140 miles before reserve but I generally stop before that because gas stations here out west can be few and far between, so you get in the habit of gassing up when you can.

A few years ago I was on a trip through Idaho down into Nevada. I was running on fumes an came upon a gas station/travel center right on the Idaho/Nevada state line. The only station for miles and it tuirns out they were switching over their gas pumps and for some reason pulled them all out at once instead of replacing half of them at once an leaving the remaining ones to operate. So I had to turn around and go 13 miles back the way I came to a house next to the highway with a gas pump in the yard who would sell me gas for 4 dolars a gallon (it was just over two at the station) but I would have paid double that. I ended up getting some plastic one gallon bottles and filed them with gasoline and put one in each saddle bag for those long stretches of road. More than once I've been cruising through the desert and seen a gas station ahead only to get to it and discover it's a ghost town, all boarded up. And when it's 125 miles between services, ou gotta plan ahead, especially when you might ot see another car for hours.
Wow that's crazy. Here in Arkansas theres a gas station on every corner. It seems like

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Ever spent much time in the mid-west or up around Montana/Wyoming/ Dakotas, or like the example above, in Nevada? You can go a loooooong way before seeing gas pumps.

Like Patrick does, I, too, keep additional fuel in my saddlebags. If going at freeway speeds of 70+ my 750 gets low to mid 30s MPG because it revs high at those speeds. I seriously start looking for stations at around 95 miles but I know it'll go a bit farther. My tank holds 3.8 gallons (or 3.6 according to various articles) total. At freeway speeds/low 30s MPG, somewhere between 115 to 120 miles I transmorgrify from a rider to a pusher unless I can either fuel up at a station or stop to transfer from the saddle bags to the tank.

Any trip requires pre-searching through the internet for gas station location in the towns along the route of travel. I like to plan out (if freeway running) what exit to look for to find what brand of gas is there. Also like Patrick, I got into the habit of gassing up when I can which means stopping even if I have half a tank. If its 60 miles or so since the last fill-up, and the next station is 40 something miles away, its time to get some go-juice now in case something craps that next station out.

So if your 1500 can get 140 miles before reserve, you're getting better than my 750 can manage, period (at freeway speeds). Unless I'm riding at a leisurely 50 MPH or so, because then my MPG goes way up into the mid 50s and I have an extra 50 to 60 something miles of range. THEN, I can get in your 140-ish span of range miles.

I've only once HAD to switch to reserve and that was in the same year that I bought my bike, brand new. I've forgotten how far that was or my speeds and so forth. Since then I plan more and haven't had to do it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts