Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everbody,
does anybody know what the fuel pump output volume should be on my carbureted 1998 1500 classic. cant find info on it anywhere. symtoms are- around town no prollem, on the hwy it boggs around 55-60, if i go wide open it does nothin, if i tickle it, it'll go faster. from everything ive gathered it sounds like fuel pump. stock pump is about $299.00, mechanic suggested pump is $199.00

also anybody ever heard of Quantum fuel systems fuelpumps- $80.00 says itsa lifetime warrantee. lookin for info
Any helP? thanks in advance

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
This works fine. a direct replacement for Kawasaki part # 49040-1063

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Fuel-Pump-For-Kawasaki-Vulcan-88-1500-VN1500-Voyager-XII-ZG1200B-49040-1063/332386604007?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=1&asc=57476&meid=f5f11d9a2b9743119c4eeebb004adae8&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=12&sd=254298348135&itm=332386604007&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Interchange Part Number : 49040-1063

Description: 4 wire fuel pump
Outlet Size: 8mm (5/16")
Outlet Pressure: 2-5PSI
Amperage Draw: 1.0A
Flow Rate: 50-60LPH
Design: Electric Fuel Pump
Flow/Pressure: OEM stock replacement

From Amazon, with filter.. (read 1st review). No need pay big bucks for a simple 12 volt pump.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/CBK-49040-1063-Kawasaki-Voyager-ZG1200B/dp/B073318K6V[/ame]

Of course if you want the Quantum. The difference is ~50 bux.

https://www.highflowfuel.com/i-23443571-quantum-electric-fuel-pump-for-kawasaki-vulcan-1500-classic-vn1500-1996-2004-replaces-49040-1063.html

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm i have already purchased a "its only $20" unit. it lasted two weeks actually it didnt quite make it that far. it worked two weekends in a row, third weekend it didnt work at all. not really intrested in another two week piece. but thankyou for the help

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Fuel pumps on these bikes generally give very little trouble. I have a friend who had to replace the one on his Nomad at 78,000 miles. I don't recall anyone else I know needing to replace theirs. I'm wondering if you have an electrical issue that's overloading the pumps.

I had an issue a few years ago, my bike would just shut itself off when I was going 70MPH down the freeway or sitting in traffic, always at random times, sometimes two or three times in a day and other times not at all for months. I had to keep replacing 10A ignition fuses. I limped it into a shop and they told me my driving lights were shorting out. They rewired them and charged me 80 bucks. THREE WEEKS LATER IT DIED AGAIN. So I took it to a dealer this time. The mechanic said he would bet it was the kill switch because every time I'd turn the key on then flick the kill switch to on, the fuse would pop. So I ordered a new kill switch, and you have to buy the entire assembly, so it was like 178 dollars. I installed the new switch and wires, turned the key on, flipped the kill switch and....POP! went the fuse. So I tore the bike down, tank off, and started running down wires from the battery. When I came to the fuel pump, I discovered it had come off the metal tang holding it onto the frame and was moving around under the tank. Upon closer inspection, I noticed a little worn spot in the hot wire where the pump had been rubbing against the tang. And every so often, at random times, that bare spot on the wire would touch the frame and blow the fuse. I put a dab of silicone on the wire, let it dry and taped all the wires up, and taped them to the frame as well, and I have not had an issue since.

all that is to say I wouldn't keep throwing parts at it until I was certain of the cause.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
There are many causes for your issue... fuel filter, plugged main jet, slide, etc. etc.
Best diagnose before buying a pump.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
carb is recently rebuilt, filters are new, & cleaned fuel petcock screens. slides moves freely. had lots of trouble with bike as it sat before i bought it. but Now it runs very well right on up to 55-60 then boggs out. IF i tickle the throttle it will go faster, if i crank it wide open it boggs down, loses power, as if its starving for fuel. im still trying to find the volume flow rate for my particular machines fuel pump. it not in the clymer manuel, mechanic wont help, already put one cheapy pump on it. it worked great for two weekends then quit. So

thank you all for the help

·
Registered
90 Posts
I posted before, these are factory specs.

Kawasaki part #49040-1063
Outlet Size: 8mm (5/16")
Outlet Pressure: 2-5PSI
Amperage Draw: 1.0A
Flow Rate: 50-60LPH
Design: Electric Fuel Pump
Flow/Pressure: OEM stock

It's a shame you got a bad pump, but it happens. Wouldn't deter me from trying again.
Only problem I had was red wire is actually ground on pump I used. First try I got it wrong, changed polarity & started right up, running to this day. Specs are a lot different than yours. 44 PSI, 34 GPH Relief pressure 131 PSI

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
took your advise, tried again. took forever for it to arrive, was hopin it'd come before i went on vacation. nope. my neighbor informed me ups dropped it off a day after i left (jerks)

·
Registered
90 Posts
That stinks it didn't come in time.

UPS=Ur Pakage Sucks.. lol

Anyway it'll be there for when you get back, and hopefully, you'll be on the road again running proper soon!
Enjoy the vacation :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts