Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Just getting intimate with my new to me Nomad. So far, I love it!

I'll be changing the oil and filter tomorrow as well as doing the cam tensioner extensions. Checked the rear cylinder and the rod that pushes inside is quite far in. Probably have a little bit of play still but I'd rather do it now and be done with it.

Quick question about the fuel pump. I assume that's what I'm hearing. As it idles or riding, I hear this faint but constant buzz that stops as soon as I turn off the engine. Not too worried but thought I'd check with the crowd that knows.

Another quick one. Is it normal to get around 200km/225km on a tank of gas? Doesn't seem very good.

If anyone feels like chimming in, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Bike is an 05, 1600 completely stock in terms of engine other than Vance and Hines pipes. Stock air filter and no fuel management system.

Thanks! Marc

·
Registered
10 Posts
So, the economy seems about right. I get around the same on my 03 1600 classic. As for the buzz, while you are riding, push on the chrome edges of the speedometer. That is where one of my buzzes came from until I tightened everything down. Another one was coming from my exhaust heat shield. Mine has a faint whistle that comes from the tank cap occasionally, but that is due to the vacuum created by the fuel pump. I just open the cap when I park to relieve the pressure.

·
Registered
33 Posts
There are a few discussions on here about your fuel pump. How many miles are on your bike? It seems the consensus for the nomad fuel pumps is that they are a weak point with the bike. There are many on here that had problems with them, including myself (though that was more related to sitting than the pump), I would search fuel pump noise and tons comes up. Most have said that they changed it when it switches to more of a whine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts