Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my fuel pump really hums when the bike is running, and brother has same bike same year and u cant even hear his. my question is mine bad for being to loud or is his badd for not being loud enough. could he be bad or does some hum and some dont

we are trying to truouble shoot why my bike makes so much more power.

both bike are same year same modes but mine kills him off the line and up top. he thinks he bike anit getting enough fuel so that what brings me to the pump

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Maybe you're the more skilled rider. There also may be a weight difference between you and him and the bikes. Many of us have been in the tater salad too long. 12lbs. = 1 hp.

Pump? The only sure way to check is with a pressure and volume test. Or buying a new one.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
both bike are same year same modes but mine kills him off the line and up top. he thinks he bike anit getting enough fuel so that what brings me to the pump
Or maybe your bike is getting too much. Possibility that your fuel pressure regulator is bad and the rail pressure is way up there putting a strain on your pump...hence the extra noise.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Or maybe your bike is getting too much. Possibility that your fuel pressure regulator is bad and the rail pressure is way up there putting a strain on your pump...hence the extra noise.
+1 Thought about that later on but just left it alone.

·
Registered
441 Posts
In the last 2 weeks I have noticed that not only is my fuel pump getting louder before I start the bike up but I can hear it over the engine and at times going down the road. Now the ambient temp has been in the 90ºF+ range so I wondered if that was the issue. I also considered it was the cooling fan but it is not since I do not feel hot air blowing across my legs. I have almost 8000 miles on the bike. Up to 6600 I was using 93 octane, since then I have switched to 89 but mostly use the same brand. I wondered if I needed to change the fuel filter but it seems it is only serviceable with the pump. I am still under warranty until March 2011 but if this pump is getting bad I am going to press to get it replaced. Any known issues?

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
In the last 2 weeks I have noticed that not only is my fuel pump getting louder before I start the bike up but I can hear it over the engine and at times going down the road. Now the ambient temp has been in the 90ºF+ range so I wondered if that was the issue. I also considered it was the cooling fan but it is not since I do not feel hot air blowing across my legs. I have almost 8000 miles on the bike. Up to 6600 I was using 93 octane, since then I have switched to 89 but mostly use the same brand. I wondered if I needed to change the fuel filter but it seems it is only serviceable with the pump. I am still under warranty until March 2011 but if this pump is getting bad I am going to press to get it replaced. Any known issues?
There may be a Kaw wrench around that can give you an exact answer, but I will throw in my 2 cents.

My fuel pump is very loud before startup. But so were my Harleys/Buells.

The fuel in the tank is what lubricates the fuel pump. When it gets hotter it becomes similiar to engine oil in the crankcase, it thins out. There is no multi multi weight gas like oil(at least that I am aware of). Also, it may get louder with less fuel. Ditto on the HD's.

Usually, street bikes are run in clean enviroments and only if you got a few batches of bad fuel, most name brand stations regularly change their filters, then that filter should never be a problem. Unless you put the bike up for a while, improperly, and the inside of the tank rusts.

Hope this helps. I wouldn't worry about it. The Japs build good stuff.

·
Registered
441 Posts
There may be a Kaw wrench around that can give you an exact answer, but I will throw in my 2 cents.

My fuel pump is very loud before startup. But so were my Harleys/Buells.

The fuel in the tank is what lubricates the fuel pump. When it gets hotter it becomes similar to engine oil in the crankcase, it thins out. There is no multi multi weight gas like oil(at least that I am aware of). Also, it may get louder with less fuel. Ditto on the HD's.

Usually, street bikes are run in clean environments and only if you got a few batches of bad fuel, most name brand stations regularly change their filters, then that filter should never be a problem. Unless you put the bike up for a while, improperly, and the inside of the tank rusts.

Hope this helps. I wouldn't worry about it. The Japs build good stuff.
Look, I am an ASE automotive master tech and I don't need a brief lesson on the inner working of a fuel pump. When gasoline gets warmer it doesn't get thinner unless you are referring to it turning into vapor which I doubt that is what you are talking about. YES the fuel lubes the pump BUT what it more importantly does is COOLS it.

Having working in the automotive field professionally since 1986 I have learned from experience that 3 things kill an electric fuel pump regularly, low fuel because it causes the pump to over heat eventually, contaminated fuel, and a clogged fuel filter. I change the filter on my vehicles at least once a year, sometimes twice. $10 - $15 for a filter is cheaper than the $300 for the tank unit in my Expedition.

So when I started hearing the pump making much more noise, as they do in 4 wheeled vehicles, I became concerned and still am concerned. Now I haven't put near as much fuel through that pump in 8000 miles as I have the Expy but I wish I could change the filter. It is just a poor design to not have an inline fuel filter. Chrysler does it and it is just stupid.

You might be surprised that after 12-15000 miles how plugged the large Ford fuel filter can get.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Look, I am an ASE automotive master tech and I don't need a brief lesson on the inner working of a fuel pump. When gasoline gets warmer it doesn't get thinner unless you are referring to it turning into vapor which I doubt that is what you are talking about. YES the fuel lubes the pump BUT what it more importantly does is COOLS it.

Having working in the automotive field professionally since 1986 I have learned from experience that 3 things kill an electric fuel pump regularly, low fuel because it causes the pump to over heat eventually, contaminated fuel, and a clogged fuel filter. I change the filter on my vehicles at least once a year, sometimes twice. $10 - $15 for a filter is cheaper than the $300 for the tank unit in my Expedition.

So when I started hearing the pump making much more noise, as they do in 4 wheeled vehicles, I became concerned and still am concerned. Now I haven't put near as much fuel through that pump in 8000 miles as I have the Expy but I wish I could change the filter. It is just a poor design to not have an inline fuel filter. Chrysler does it and it is just stupid.

You might be surprised that after 12-15000 miles how plugged the large Ford fuel filter can get.
I was an ASE Master for 30 years and an L1 plus some other (Master) nonsense, owned my own biz for 20. Euros. Who Gives A S---?

Gas is parafin based. It freezes at around -150 degrees F and has a flashpoint of about 450 or so. It does thicken and thin.

I agree low fuel can damage a pump, bad filter, etc.

You have been around cars for awhile. So how many poor designs have you seen? How many times have you ripped your knuckles open on poor designs? How many times have you had to pull half a car a part to get to that part that fails all the time?

This bike should be a piece of cake for an ASE Master.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I'm not an ASE certified mechanic but I've been schtupping his daughter for years. No not Cruisers, some other guys. So there, we all know how to use a dipstick. Yeehaw.

Just popping in to relieve the tension. Good monday morning to you. I hear my pump more at some times then others but it's not too loud.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Look Cruiser, I'm sorry for slamming you. I am sure you are a fine tech and know what you are doing.

It is just this ASE stuff is piece of paper to me. Yeah, I kept my recerts up(some have lapsed since I retired and I just don't care anymore), but it was because of the customers, especially new ones', it gave them a secure feeling seeing those papers on the wall. I still have the gold placks stuck to my Snap-On box too.

I have seen people who were totally unqualified to even be sitting in someones' car who could pass a multiple answer test and some of the most gifted and talented wrenches who couldn't take a test for one reason or another. You know what I am saying and some like that.

Yeah, it felt good as a kid when I became a Master. I was real good at oil changes and changing tires. I felt I knew everything. It is funny now.

One thing I have learned with age and maybe a little wisdom is how much I really don't know.

PAX VULCANO

·
Registered
441 Posts
Look Cruiser, I'm sorry for slamming you. I am sure you are a fine tech and know what you are doing.

It is just this ASE stuff is piece of paper to me. Yeah, I kept my recerts up(some have lapsed since I retired and I just don't care anymore), but it was because of the customers, especially new ones', it gave them a secure feeling seeing those papers on the wall. I still have the gold placks stuck to my Snap-On box too.

I have seen people who were totally unqualified to even be sitting in someones' car who could pass a multiple answer test and some of the most gifted and talented wrenches who couldn't take a test for one reason or another. You know what I am saying and some like that.

Yeah, it felt good as a kid when I became a Master. I was real good at oil changes and changing tires. I felt I knew everything. It is funny now.

One thing I have learned with age and maybe a little wisdom is how much I really don't know.

PAX VULCANO
I wasn't going to mention the L1 cert because it is not as well known to the general public but I also hold that cert too. I have had it for almost 15 years. I was one of the 1st techs in Erie County PA to earn it.

Also, I don't wear my little ASE badge and go around bragging about it but when I bring it to the forum like I did it is to make a point that my mechanical knowledge and experience is at a seriously different level than most here.

As far as the temp extremes that you mentioned for gasoline, I am not going to debate terminology about whether freezing is actually a thickening or if when gasoline become gaseous that is is actually thinning in terms of viscosity. Honestly it doesn't matter because those extremes are most likely beyond the operating range of the pump AND the cycle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts