Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have about 2500km on my VN900 custom now, I bought it brand new about 2 months ago.

I was wondering if the fuel pump making noise was normal. I can't hear it when I'm moving, but I can hear a slight humming/whirring when Im sitting in traffic coming from the tank.

Is this normal? One of those "Get louder pipes" kinda fixes?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Ya believe its normal.I don't hear mine when the bike is started but its loud before I hit the start button.My bike was debaffled when I bought it & it has V&H pipes on it now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do the stock pipes sound de-baffled?

Im still running the stock pipes, anyone else hear this with their stock pipes?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Debaffle sound isn't bad and it doesn't annoy the neighbors at 5am near as much the cat back w/Flowmaster 50 on my truck. I can't hear the pump but humming is normal. The 900 makes several noises and most go away with the debaffle. Whirring usually comes from the alternator on the 900.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Debaffled is subjective. I like mine, others don't think it sounds good enough, loud enough or just too loud but not right. Where do you live so you could here what it sounds like. There was a set of debaffled exhaust on the 900 Delphi forum for 75 bucks + shipping, that's a cheaper experiment and if you don't like it you could probably resell.

I made videos of mine once but they all pretty much sound the same on you tube because almost ALL of our digital recorders have auto adjust on the volume level. My video taking while idling and while accelerating by the camera sounds just as loud before and after BUT you can't hear the children playing and dogs barking in the background of the AFTER recording where you can hear birds chirping in the BEFORE clip.

It is quiet enough not to disturb the neighbors if you're easy on the gas in the morning, but then many are.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey, I have about 2500km on my VN900 custom now, I bought it brand new about 2 months ago.

I was wondering if the fuel pump making noise was normal. I can't hear it when I'm moving, but I can hear a slight humming/whirring when Im sitting in traffic coming from the tank.

I am wondering if the noise you are hearing is actually the radiator fan. I don't think you can hear the fuel pump while it is running. Either way it's normal, and yes get louder pipes!:p

·
Registered
54 Posts

My pipes are stock and I can hear the fuel pump before I start and seldom here it when stopped at light when no other traffic is around. Other than that I dont here the fuel pump when running at any speed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's definitely not the radiator fan.

I hear the fuel pump hum for a few seconds after the ignition comes on, but once the bike is running, I can still hear a faint humming coming from inside the tank (atleast im fairly sure its inside the tank).

·
Registered
976 Posts
I can even hear it with my muffled pipes. Just another noise from the engine. Just ignore and go on down the road. When you hear a new noise, then start wondering.

·
Registered
441 Posts
In the last 2 weeks I have noticed that not only is my fuel pump getting louder before I start the bike up but I can hear it over the engine and at times going down the road. Now the ambient temp has been in the 90ºF+ range so I wondered if that was the issue. I also considered it was the cooling fan but it is not since I do not feel hot air blowing across my legs. I have almost 8000 miles on the bike. Up to 6600 I was using 93 octane, since then I have switched to 89 but mostly use the same brand. I wondered if I needed to change the fuel filter but it seems it is only serviceable with the pump. I am still under warranty until March 2011 but if this pump is getting bad I am going to press to get it replaced. Any known issues?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Just put some MM oil in tank to help keep pump & upper end happy.I'll be putting 2 ounces every other tank full till gone to help in this hot weather.Already ran some lucas gas treatment earler this summer.

·
Registered
441 Posts
That would make me think I am driving a 2 stroke cycle engine not a 2 cylinder 4 stroke cycle bike

·
Registered
343 Posts
I did miss sledding last year so maybe I'm getting my 2 stroke fix ,lol.I actauly hate 2 stroke smell for the most part,but can't wate to go sledding if I can this year bone is still not healing & might need bone graft.

But really its only 2 oz. to 5 gallons don't think it will stink.After reading this post & the over heating threads ,I don't have any of these issues & want to keep it that way & I fiquire it will help the vavles also.Someone on the XSgarage has used it for like 80,000 miles in his old bike every tank full.I'm useing the cheaper gas now so figuire spend the extra money on a bottle of MM oil once in a while to keep it all clean

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did miss sledding last year so maybe I'm getting my 2 stroke fix ,lol.I actauly hate 2 stroke smell for the most part,but can't wate to go sledding if I can this year bone is still not healing & might need bone graft.

But really its only 2 oz. to 5 gallons don't think it will stink.After reading this post & the over heating threads ,I don't have any of these issues & want to keep it that way & I fiquire it will help the vavles also.Someone on the XSgarage has used it for like 80,000 miles in his old bike every tank full.I'm useing the cheaper gas now so figuire spend the extra money on a bottle of MM oil once in a while to keep it all clean
Is the product you are using really called Marvel Mystery oil?

If not, what is it? I would be interested in using that, actually.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yes marvel mystery oil can get @ walmart or where ever.Don't even know its in there.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Is the product you are using really called Marvel Mystery oil?

If not, what is it? I would be interested in using that, actually.
Yes it's truly called Marvel Mystery Oil. It makes great air tool oil.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts