Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fuel Pump Issue

Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomad (2008), with 72,000km (43,000miles), Bike has completed several long distance rides each season, use 93 octane gas.

The problem started about a week ago, when traveling at 110km/h (70mph) the RPM is about 3,000, when accelerating (full throttle twist) to pass a truck etc, the bike “retards”, ie reduces speed, and the RPM’s never go pass 3,000 in 5th gear. Had the bike in for service, but they are reluctant to replace the pump yet due to cost $$.

Anyone have a same situation and have any advice on a fix?, I am not opposed to a new pump, but the cost is high so it better fix the issue. I don’t think it is bad gas as I have had several tank fulls since the problem started.

·
Premium Member
12,012 Posts
Welcome! This forum is to introduce yourself. Ask your question in the 1600 forum where other owners can help you out. Not all read the new intro section.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The sneaky Kawasaki engineers put a small metal screen inside the top cap of the fuel tank housing which can't be accessed for inspection, cleaning or replacement. Once that screen gets clogged your flow rate will be restricted even though the pump motor is creating pressure. They force you to buy a new fuel pump to get that top piece replaced. I did see one brave soul cut his open and cleaned it then melted it back together and reports it works great. Good luck brother.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts