Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding to work this morning and my 07 Nomad started sputtering like it was out of gas, then stalled. I coasted to the side of the road and tried restarting - cranked but no start. Then I noticed I didn't hear the usual whir from the fuel pump when I turned the key on. I figured the pump died so I pushed it off the road to a parking lot and walked the last 1/2 mile to work. I called a friend with a trailer who picked me up after work and we went to pick it up. Just for shits 'n giggles before we tried pushing it onto the trailer I tried the key. Fuel pump whirred and she fired right up. Not wanting it do it again in a less than ideal place I drove it onto the trailer and brought it home, where it continued to start and run normally. I'm curious if this is normal behavior for a failing fuel pump or if it's more likely I have a bad connection somewhere. Electrical gremlins are not my forte so any advice would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
4,137 Posts
Hi Paul. Hope all is well with you. I think if the pump was bad it would not work again after failing. This leans me to think it is a connection or other composing the system. Would start with the basics. Study the wiring diagram and check fuel pump fuse, relay, and fuel pump connections. Then move on to all the other connections and components within the fuel system. Nothing worse than riding a bike you don’t trust. Hope it works out. Be well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Totally agree... It seems you have connection issues/power issues somewhere. Generally fuel pumps are either good or bad. However, one rare occasion on a goldwing I was working on many years ago I did encounter a pump that would kick on and off but wouldn't put out enough pressure to run the bike past an idle when it did work. Good luck keep us updated on what you find

·
Administrator "Loose Nut"
Houston, Texas
1,000 Posts
Dialectic grease in all electrical connectors after cleaning them. You got this.

·
Super Moderator
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. That was my plan of attack but I just wanted some second opinions. And yeah, riding a bike I don't trust is no fun at all.

I'll keep you posted.

·
Houston, Texas
1,000 Posts
Thanks guys. That was my plan of attack but I just wanted some second opinions. And yeah, riding a bike I don't trust is no fun at all.

I'll keep you posted.
So you are riding, haven't seen you join the monthly challenge yet. ;)
Ohhhh, I'm bad.

·
Super Moderator
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've only taken it on one 45 minute run and to work a few times (10 minutes each way). Not worth the time it takes for the pics. ;)

·
Houston, Texas
1,000 Posts
You've been house bound all winter, get out there and ride, your wife needs a break from you. 🤭 😉 Or at least from the guitar. Ohhhh I'm bad, sure have missed picking on you.

·
Super Moderator
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol...I play downstairs where I can't be heard (everyone is thankful, I'm sure). Can't ride a bike that could stall and leave me walking again. I have tomorrow off so I'll start trying to diagnose the issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've only taken it on one 45 minute run and to work a few times (10 minutes each way). Not worth the time it takes for the pics. ;)
man, I'm jealous.

first, you're out of the house -- we have another 2 weeks of lock-down (that I'm kind of ignoring . . . legally).

second, you're riding! I'm sans rear tire, waiting, waiting, waiting . . . still not in . . . whodathunk . . . toilet paper and motorcycle tire shortages due to COVID.

·
Banned
179 Posts
Every electrical diagnosing should start with electrical diagram. There are a few electrical components, which can be responsible for intermittent pump problem: fuse, connectors, relay.
Find all components, print diagram, check everything with multitester. Keep everything with you, when you ride. If it happens again, you can diagnose in 5 min.

·
Super Moderator
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been doing some reading and apparently there is a connector to the fuel pump relay under the seat. When I take the battery out in the fall I have to disconnect 3 plugs under the seat to get it out. Since I didn't do this issue until I put the battery back in a few weeks ago I'm guessing one of those plugs has a bad connection. It did this a couple of times when I first installed the battery but then it fired up on the third try. I didn't think anything of it then as it was the first time I'd tried to start it since I put away in December. I'm going to go get some contact cleaner and dielectric grease and tackle it after breakfast. Wish me luck.

·
Super Moderator
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Found the problem right away. The connector under the seat for the fuel pump relay hadn't clicked in and had worked itself loose. Pushed it in, heard the click, did a tug test - all good. Fired right up. I'll chalk that up to being too anxious for that first fire up after winter hibernation. Lesson learned. I appreciate all the advice and even Les's ribbing ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts