Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My bike is a 2010 Vulcan 900 Custom. It has 10, 154 miles on it. I have a rattle under the fuel tank that is driving me crazy. I tried to remove the fuel tank to look for anything that might be causing it. I got everything off, except for the electrical connecter that is behind the coils. It is shown in photo #1. Just behind the right-hand
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Vehicle Gas
Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive design Rim Auto part
coil wire. It runs from there up to the fuel pump. Photo #2 is a close-up of the connecter itself. I absolutely could not get it to release. The left side of the connecter is the part that needs to come out. The larger right side is firmly attached to the coil mounting bracket. So I never did get the tank off.

All of these electrical connections have some kind of locking tab ? Someone, please tell me how I get this to release ! Details, please!

Thanks in advance, Les Randler

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Vehicle Gas
Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive design Rim Auto part

·
Registered
2012 Nomad
1,478 Posts
Do an online search for the service manual for your bike. The manuals library will usually have it.
Under the section for gas tank removal it usually will give specific instructions on how to open the connector.

Personally I hate those things. If you're a mechanic by trade I'm sure it is as easy as falling off a log.
If you are a DIYER like me and only tackle a job like this once every decade you quickly forget how the connector works.
The bad part is if you don't know and you push when you should have pulled you will more than likely break the connector. PITA

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
All the electrical connectors on the Vulcan have locking tabs. Different connectors have different locking tabs, but they all have them. Keeps the connectors from coming apart while riding. You just have to look at the connector and figure out how to release it, then press it in the right location. Because your bike is a 2010, even after you "unlock" it, you still my have problems getting it to come apart because of the bike's age.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I wish I could be of more help, but I find that every time I do this, I have to figure that one out. When you get it, it should come apart easily (my 2007 does). I can't tell from looking at it what to squeeze or lift. It' drives me nuts every time. Oh, and the service manual will tell you to disconnect it, not how to disconnect it. I THINK there's a tab under the little hood on the top of the outer sleeve that either needs to be lifted or compressed. But the bike is 60 miles away now so I can't get under there to check. Good luck!

·
Registered
2012 Nomad
1,478 Posts
Because your bike is a 2010, even after you "unlock" it, you still my have problems getting it to come apart because of the bike's age.
Bingo !
Like I said: PITA

On a more reassuring note: The service manual for my 1700 shows an exploded view of the connector and gives more detailed info on how it comes apart.
Not sure if it is the same connector on your bike, but I would download the service manual and check

·
Registered
8 Posts
1st you start with a whole lots of cussing! Then get a very small flat head screwdriver, cause the stupid tabs (on top and bottom) don't release like they're supposed to. Then start with the top and gently pry the top tab off the connector with the screwdriver. Then the bottom, after which the top usually pops back in. Then more cussing! Keep trying this method while wiggling the connector back and forward and up and down. More cussing, and eventually (if it doesn't break) it will come loose. Once you've got it apart, be sure to use some dielectric (spelling?) grease on the connectors. This helps a little the next time you take apart and also helps with corrosion. When reassembling, you guessed it; More cussing, because even though its not as bad as removing, it still gives you a fit trying to get it to completely snap back together. After all this cussing, you pray for: #1- forgiveness for your nasty language: #2 -that you'll never have to take this #!_;#:% part off again. (Which you will eventually) Good luck.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
I wish I could be of more help, but I find that every time I do this, I have to figure that one out. When you get it, it should come apart easily (my 2007 does). I can't tell from looking at it what to squeeze or lift. It' drives me nuts every time. Oh, and the service manual will tell you to disconnect it, not how to disconnect it. I THINK there's a tab under the little hood on the top of the outer sleeve that either needs to be lifted or compressed. But the bike is 60 miles away now so I can't get under there to check. Good luck!
Yup. Some you have to lift the tab, some press the tab, and it ain't alway obvious which.

·
Registered
325 Posts
In the second picture you insert a small flat blade screw driver into the center raised portion on the connector from the left, there is a little tab in it you want to lift (If i remember correctly you may have to depress it), then wiggle the connector side to side will pulling on it. That small hidden tab is the only retention on the connector.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Not positive either but I'd try pushing down perpendicular to the connector with a screwdriver blade in that slot in the end of the raised portion of the outer shell. Hold that pushed down then try to pull them apart. May take a little wiggling like some have said.

If that doesn't do it then go in from the left, under the tab, and gently lift as said in the post just above.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Vehicle

Light Automotive tire Rim Gas Auto part

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not positive either but I'd try pushing down perpendicular to the connector with a screwdriver blade in that slot in the end of the raised portion of the outer shell. Hold that pushed down then try to pull them apart. May take a little wiggling like some have said.

If that doesn't do it then go in from the left, under the tab, and gently lift as said in the post just above.

View attachment 256254

View attachment 256255
The previous four posts about the tab may prove to be the most helpful. Thank you, gentlemen. I will get around to trying this again sometime soon. Just going thru a rough spell right now with my health.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I cant remember if the release is on the side like the arrow pointed to or if its in the center where that little black bump is i have to re remember every time i go to do it and i have had my tank off several times. When you get it you will be like (It was really that easy) but i do remember having a harder time with that one i know it has a clip just cant remember if its a lift or a press one

·
Registered
830 Posts
Thats right you need a small flat head and insert it into the connector to lift the clip. It may take a little wiggling but it will pop and come apart easy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts