Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I haven't seen a thread come across about fuel processors so I thought I would start one up.

My bike has an HK Sideburner 2 into 1 and, like many of you out there, I wondered about a fuel processor. Everything I read on here said you don't need one if you only replace the exhaust and not the intake. However, I did some looking into it on my own and got a different answer.

First off, from everything I read about the 900, changing the intake won't do as much as it will on a bigger engine. I was also told this is why there are fewer options for changing out our intakes and why K&N doesn't even have a filter yet for it.

Long story short, I ended up talking to some sales people and techs over at DynoJet and I ended up with a DynoJet Power Commander III USB. The installation was very easy as was the mapping of the unit. It is also interesting to note that the map for my bike is listed as HK Sideburner 2-1 with stock or modified intake. This not only confirms my earlier thought, but alludes that the exhaust has a bigger impact on the 900 than the intake does.

Ever since the install, the bike has a bit more gallop and runs great. The unit is pretty slick as it breaks the running cycle into three parts (low, medium, and high) and you can adjust on the unit to make each cycle richer or leaner for your preference.

Anyway, I just thought I would post this up to get the rest of your thoughts.

Polish

·
Registered
533 Posts
Changing the intake won't do much?????? I certainly beg to differ on that one. I swapped out the pipes and rode it for a day with pipes only. Not one bit of difference between the new Cobras and the debaffled stockers that were on it that I could tell, other than the sound. The next day I added the intake and processor, and it came ALIVE!!! The snap in gears 2/3/4 is far better than stock, and the pipes even sounded better.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Again, I'm just going off of what I've read and been told. Obviously you have first hand experience so perhaps there is a difference.

What kind of intake and processor did you get?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have to agree with Jimbo. I had the cobra pipes on for a while (only because V&H does not make longshots for our bike) then added the Cobra FI2000R, not much diff other than a little less popping. Then I added the Barons air kit,,,WOW---wow,, did I say WOW?! For some reason I cannot explain it did change the tone coming from the pipes too, must have to do with more airflow. The bike pulls so much harder now from the mid-range on up. Would it have a more dramatic effect on a bike with a bigger motor, of course it would.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Makes sense...more air, more pull. I still find it odd that the mapping program I used said it was good for either stock or aftermarket intakes. Where did you pick your Baron's air kit up at?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a buddy that owns a shop, he ordered it for me, even with that I didn't save as much as you might think. There ain't a ton of mark up in those things. I picked it up for $250, install was a breeze although the one hose is a bit difficult to hook up with meathooks the size of mine!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds about right. I was checking them out online yesterday and they change the whole look on the side of the bike. Sharp looking for sure. Just me being curious, but what design did you get? I am thinking of getting the cover with the straight lines going back. It beats smooth chrome and I'm not much into flames.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey all,

First off, from everything I read about the 900, changing the intake won't do as much as it will on a bigger engine. I was also told this is why there are fewer options for changing out our intakes and why K&N doesn't even have a filter yet for it.

Polish
Dyno studdies show that the gain from intake, fuel proccessor and pipes is much much greater than pipes and fuel controller alone. The intake is the big component for power gain. Also dyno tests show that the gain from intake, pipes, and fuel proccessor is much much greater on the 900 than the bigger vulcans. This is not neccessarily a function of the size of the motor, but rather how detuned the stock motor is.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I got the flame design, subtle theme carried through my bike on a couple parts.

interesting results there Motodoc, would not have guessed that the 900 showed more gain than bigger motors, but I guess if looked at in percentages it would all be relative.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts