Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks, new to the Kawi Custom 900, new to the forum and got a question for those who may know more about this subject/bike. I purchased a 2008 Vulcan with Vance and Hines Staggered Pipes and a Big Baron Air Intake. Unfortunately, the bike has no fuel processor. Is this a requirement or can the bike adjust to the changes without it? Anybody running with these upgrades without a processor?

·
Registered
941 Posts
I don't have those exact pipes, I have Hard Kromes. But I do have fuel processor. I prob don't need it, cuz I don't have a intake like you do. I want to get one just to take advantage of the Fi. But if you have both you probably should.
I suppose you havent got to ride it much to see how it performs. That would be the key thing.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
IIRC, the bike can't work out the changes by itself. The amount of air in and air out has been changed, but without being able to change the amount of fuel mixed in any gains seen are very minimal. If the air/fuel ratio is off, damage to the motor is possible as that ratio does affect running temps. It'll run like that, you may or may not ever have have problems, but I would play it safe and add a processor of some type, which will also maximize performance gains.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I agree with what the others (above) have said. If I were you, I would add a Fuel Processor. But don't except a large increase in power, as it isn't going to happen. You will get easier starting (not that these bikes are hard to start), better idle, improved throttle response, and a small increase in power (maybe 4 to 7 HP with everything you have on your bike).

For these Vulcans, the Power Commander is over the top, and more than needed IMHO, Little benefit compared to a large number of other units like the Cobra Fi2000, Dobeck's Techlusion, Vane and Hines Fuelpak, Gman's Bully unit, Fuggin EFI Controller, etc, that are much less costly, as easy or easier to install and can be tuned well without the expense of getting it dyno tuned.

I am sure that the Power Commander will produce optimum results that are probably better, but the other units will do a very good job at much less cost.

Just my thoughts.:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. I was thinking the same, was just looking to see what brands you folks out there are using. Looks like it will be a toss up between the VH Fuelpak or the CobraFi2000. Hard to tell what it will do, the snow on the ground leaves me guessing...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Cobra 92-0960 or 92-0968

I have always wondered, whats the difference between Cobra fuel processors. For instance the connections on a Cobra Fi2000 are the same between say a 92-0960 and a 92-0968 whats the difference? 92-0960 is for a 1500 mean streak and the 92-0968 is for a vulcan 900. But couldnt they both be adjusted accordingly no matter what bike they are on?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Really?

The 92-0960, on a 900 Vulcan? It seems simple enough to install, I just couldnt get a straight answer out of my dealership.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I have always wondered, whats the difference between Cobra fuel processors. For instance the connections on a Cobra Fi2000 are the same between say a 92-0960 and a 92-0968 whats the difference? 92-0960 is for a 1500 mean streak and the 92-0968 is for a vulcan 900. But couldnt they both be adjusted accordingly no matter what bike they are on?
I assume it is different mapping 4 the 2 different engines......:)

·
Registered
209 Posts
The Power Commander uses a map and will increase or decrease fuel delivery as determined by the OEM map based on the internal PC map.

The Cobra, etc can only increase the delivered fuel volume base on the settings, ie they cannot reduce the fuel delivery below the value specified by the OEM map.

As to the difference in Cobra models for the Meansteak and the 900.

The connections are the same in that you make the same connections, but my guess is --

It is probably the connectors/plugs to match the corresponding connectors/plugs on the OEM EFI on the different model bikes. I would think that the electronics are the same unit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thats what I was thinking for instance the fi200r uses different plugs but, the fi2000 atleast in the case of the 92-0960 and the 92-0968 use the same T-caps and pretty much the same installation instructions.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Well alex the differences between those two is like you said they are for two different engines. One is a much larger engine. Uses different injectors, different throttle bodies. the meanie uses 40mm, the 900 uses 34mm.

I like the Fi2000r better cuz you aren't cutting into wires, you are just using a plug bypass. Which is nice if in the future you want to remove the Fi for any reason. Then you haven't ruined the integrity of the wire housing

·
Registered
941 Posts
Its not just the engine. The fuel injectors are different like I said. These computers are factoring all that in, they are designed for that engine. The settings you can play with are factoring changes like pipes and air intake.

·
Registered
382 Posts
also look into what model cobra FI controller you're buying.

some have generic connectors (!wiring warning!) and others have the OEM connectors (easy install)

·
Registered
657 Posts
On the Cobra, what's the differance between the Fi2000 and the Fi2000R, besides about $35? I also noticed this thing is not legal in the state of California... and this is where it is made!!! What's up with that. Sooooo, anyone in the state of (@!!#0^^[email protected] using one of these. If not, what IS legal in Cali???

1 - 20 of 22 Posts