Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have stage 2 debaffled exhaust and am about to do the "homemade air filter" mod that Jaggered did on the how-to pages. If you haven't seen it, it is worth a read. $50 buck or less for a really classy looking intake.

Okay first, I am only looking for replies from people who have run their bike without the fuel processor, but with hi-flow exhaust and intakes. If you put on the processor the same time that you did exhaust and intake mods, please don't answer. I'm not trying to be rude, but my question is only relevant to the people who tried to do this without the processor.

Second, I am very aware that the consensus is that if you do both a debaffle/new exhaust and change the intake, that you must run a fuel processor or the bike will run drastically lean. But I have read the rare post from people that were doing without it.

I want to hear from those people as to what your experiences were when you did not have the processor on. Basically, did the bike run lean or not? And what indicators did the bike give to running lean or running properly?

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have stage 2 debaffled exhaust and am about to do the "homemade air filter" mod that Jaggered did on the how-to pages. If you haven't seen it, it is worth a read. $50 buck or less for a really classy looking intake.

Okay first, I am only looking for replies from people who have run their bike without the fuel processor, but with hi-flow exhaust and intakes. If you put on the processor the same time that you did exhaust and intake mods, please don't answer. I'm not trying to be rude, but my question is only relevant to the people who tried to do this without the processor.

Second, I am very aware that the consensus is that if you do both a debaffle/new exhaust and change the intake, that you must run a fuel processor or the bike will run drastically lean. But I have read the rare post from people that were doing without it.

I want to hear from those people as to what your experiences were when you did not have the processor on. Basically, did the bike run lean or not? And what indicators did the bike give to running lean or running properly?

Thanks for your input.
i am actually myself facing somewhat the same problem. i have a BAK intake and straight pipes. it runs lean, no doubt about it. with running lean over time comes more problems. burning a valve being one of my main concerns. think of performance mods as a balance scale. if you do one thing (intake exhaust) you have to add to the other side to get it equal.(more fuel) my bike in its current state, bak and straight pipe with no program, doesnt run proper. with me, its going to be WHICH processor i should get instead of if i should get one. and my advice would be to go ahead and spend the cash on one. they are well worth it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Jeep Pirate,
I did the homemade air cleaner last year, just didn't ever get any pics posted on here. I also have done the stage 2 debaffle on my exhaust. I pulled my plugs several times to keep an eye on how lean the engine was running. IMHO, it was running lean, but not enough to hurt the engine, since the plugs were always a very light brown, rather than the white which would indicate too lean. I wasn't looking for the fastest thing off the line when I bought the bike, I was in the market for a cruiser. Because of limitations with cash-flow, I waited for a safety bonus at work to finance a fuel processor.
TODAY, I mounted the Dobeck Techlusion plug-and-play model on my 900. First impression? Good decision!!! I've only had time to adjust the green pot and taken it out for one test run, but there is a difference in performance!
The engine is smoother and stronger thru the RPM range running thru the gears. I filled up with gas on my way home, so I will be able to track influence on gas mileage as I get the bike tuned in.
Another reason I decided to invest in a fuel processor, I have plans on finding someone willing to help me build a custom exhaust for my bike this summer, and wanted to have the fuel situation ready beforehand.
Here are some pics of the intake I built last summer.
http://s754.photobucket.com/albums/xx184/grwgramps/Vulcan 900 Custom Intake Mod/
Hope this helps with your decision.
My 900 was getting 45mpg without the windshield on, mostly in town riding with occasional trips out of town, before adding the Dobeck.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys. I kinda figured I would have to get a processor, but I was just wanting real input from people who had tried to do without it. Still, $220-$230 for a processor and the homemade air cleaner is a heck of a lot better than $350 for the cheapest aftermarket intake and processor. I plan to get the parts all around so that I can go as cheap as possible. I want to do a how-to with photos and part numbers just for kicks. I know it has already been done, but what the heck.

Gary - Your picks are great. I really like the looks. Do you know how tall that filter is? I'm trying to figure out that part too. Thanks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Jeep Pirate,
http://www.customdynamics.com/motorcycle-performance-accessories/techlusion_fuel_injection_control_module.htm#Kawasaki_
I'm not sure which processor you've considered, but the techlusion for $196.00 with free shipping influenced me!
The air filter I am using is 3" tall, it does stick out a ways, and yes, my leg rubs against it, but I've gotten used to it. I know a lot of people are sold on K&N and have used them without problem, but I chose to stick with a paper filter. I chose a taller filter to insure ample air flow.
Chose your filter first, that will influence the diameter of your backplate. Mine is built out of 1/4 in. aluminum plate, purchased at a local trailer repair shop. Most of the rest of the material can be found at most of the auto supply stores.
I also counter-sunk my bolt holes to insure a good seal on the back of the filter.
When I built mine, I bought a sheet of cork gasket material and cut my own gasket to go between the back plate and the intake. When I need to replace the gasket, I think I will use silicone gasket material. It can be bought in a sheet just like the cork, but I think it will hold up better.
Take your time, this is one of those learn as you go projects, and SO satisfying when its done.
Let me know if you have any more questions, and good luck!

·
Registered
950 Posts
Jeep Pirate,
http://www.customdynamics.com/motorcycle-performance-accessories/techlusion_fuel_injection_control_module.htm#Kawasaki_
I'm not sure which processor you've considered, but the techlusion for $196.00 with free shipping influenced me!

Sorry to bud in, but if you are a military veteran, Dobek gives a discount. (They make Techlusion and the Dobek EJK). I had the option of the Techlusion for $125 or the EJK for $150. Sorry Gary, just trying to save the man a few bucks if I can.:cool:

·
Registered
92 Posts
KenDawg,
No need to apoligize, you're not stepping on my toes! LOL If you can save Jeep some green, then all the better!
I have a high flow intake and a fuel processor for less than some are paying for just the intake, I'm all about saving green.
I'm planning on finding someone to help me build a custom exhaust system for my 900 this summer for the same reason, I just find it hard to justify the mark-up on aftermarket parts for our "Luxury vehicles", especially when it's something I can figure out how to build myself. That, and I have a design in mind that I've not found on any of the websites I've looked at.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jeep Pirate,

Sorry to bud in, but if you are a military veteran, Dobek gives a discount. (They make Techlusion and the Dobek EJK). I had the option of the Techlusion for $125 or the EJK for $150. Sorry Gary, just trying to save the man a few bucks if I can.:cool:
Last night Cruiser Customizing had the Dobek and the Cobra processors for $180. But if I may be calling my nephew who is active Army to order the Dobek for me at $125. Do you have to go direct to Dobek to get that price or is there a discount code to use at an dealer?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Last night Cruiser Customizing had the Dobek and the Cobra processors for $180. But if I may be calling my nephew who is active Army to order the Dobek for me at $125. Do you have to go direct to Dobek to get that price or is there a discount code to use at an dealer?
I emailed Dobek directly using my Army email account and asked if they offered a veterans disscount. They replied with a price. I then called and discussed differences in models. I think having your nephew email them using his AKO account should get you in the door. Good luck. My bike runs pretty darn good with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts