Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live about a 1/4 of a mile from a gas station. I was distracted when my tank was nearing full (I was on the bike keeping it level) and hit it a few times after the shut off which allowed the access fuel in the line to go above the inner rim. So gas was about halfway between the the inner rim and top of the tank by the time it stopped coming out. I then drove home and parked it in the garage. My wife noticed a gas smell when she ran out to her car. I assume I just over filled it and there was a puddle (it had already nearly evaporated) about the size of a disposable plate from a tube underneath (I assume much like my 900 it was the overfill tube). Just wanted to make sure that this is the likely reason. Makes sense to me but I am far from a motorcycle expert.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Sounds like an overfill on a hot day with a hot engine to me.....

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
When I am on a road trip I always fill to the rim of the tank. But, as soon as I fill it I ride. So I take my break first, fill the bike, and go. Helps squeeze out a few more miles per tank.

When in town, I fill up at my favorite fuel station that has separate hoses for the different octanes. It is 18 miles from my house on my route home from work. I also fill to the rim there knowing that I will have burn 1/2 a gallon before parking the bike.

Otherwise, never put more fuel than the bottom of the cup.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
I always fill on the kickstand, paranoid about having an overflow. I can see where it would make sense if you knew you would immediately be burning out a half gallon.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
YEP on all accounts. I fill my tank to the top. If i am just starting out on a ride there i no problem. I had to stop filling the tank b4 I park the skoot for good as there will be gas spillage out of the overflow hose. Stinky and not safe. Especially with a hot engine which causes the gas to expand.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I'm glad that its an overfilling issue and not something more serious. It's what I thought was wrong but glad to hear the same from people with more knowledge on the subject than myself. I'm probably going to just stop filling up before i park it altogether, or pick a station further from home.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Now if the bike was a California model (which were not just sold in Cali) it would have the evaporation canister and wouldn't do that unless the canister was full would it? I remember somebody on here that the overflow line was pinched and it cooled down creating a vacuum and collapsed his tank.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I have a California model and it does not matter how high I fill it in the neck it does not leak or smell the garage up with gas fumes.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 10 of 10 Posts