Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure that it may have been covered before but...
I have purchased a 2017 Voyager and love the bike. The only thing that is concerning is the readout says it is only getting 34.5 MPG. I currently only have 890 Miles on the bike so far. I have seen others boasting 38 to 43 MPG from theirs. Is mine an oddball or is it going to get better with more miles on the bike? Also I noted that once the bike gt to half and especially at 1/4 tank, it is like my gas is getting siphoned out of my tank. The gauge falls rapidly. Normal or no?

Thanks in Advance,
Rip

·
Registered
324 Posts
The sweet spot for mileage on mine is 55-65MPH. Anything over that and mileage starts dropping, and over 75 it drops fast. I can get 45mpg, with a lot of restraint and never going over 60mph BUT that's not what I ride for. Cold temps seem to keep the mpg's on the low side as well.
I'm averaging 40mpg.
I know the mileage increased as the motor wore in but don't recall when it leveled off.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
From what I understand, the mpg gets better after some break in (I bought my used). Several factors will affect gas mileage. As D-dub said, highway speed can have a huge affect. How hard you twist the throttle off highway does, too. Your weight plus luggage carried, the terrain you ride, etc. all will have some effect.

Yes, the gauge falls rapidly below a qtr. tank. The fuel height is measured with a float and the shape of the tank causes that rapid drop. I don't think Kawi did anything to accommodate for tank shape in the gauge readout. Also, going up and down hills will affect the fuel gauge due to the float rising and falling as the gas shifts due to the angle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I read the "gas gauge" conversations already. Honestly, I guess I wanted reassurance that my MPG would improve from it's current status.
Thanks for the responses,
Rip

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yeah I agree with Sabre-T it all depends on your style of ridding. I found on my 2016 1700 Voyager I average around 38 mpg after owning it 6months and 5k miles. Also the gauge showing your average will fluctuate as ride if you want a true average fill your tank reset your trip meter and when you refill your tank divide the miles ridden by the gallons used you will find the numbers a little different then what is on the average mpg gauge.

However this too can be deceiving because most (all) motor cycles speedometer are off anywhere from 3-10 mph from the factory. My bike speedometer was off 4 mph compared to the gps so my bike was showing 65 mph while my true speed according to the gps was 61 mph. The point is if the bikes speedometer is incorrect then your odometer is incorrect so your average mpg is incorrect.
Good news is they make things to recalibrate your speedometer I have the speedohealer V4 by Healtech it is plug and play now my speedometer is dead on.

Sorry to get off subject and ramble

·
Registered
50 Posts
The odometer is more accurate than the speedometer. Mine has about a 3% speedometer error but only about a 1% odometer error. Even though they are related, the calibration is different.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have 6500 miles now on my 2016 bought new in January. Mileage was very poor at first but as it got broke in mileage improved a lot. I Ivanized at 2000 mile mark and using 5th and 6th gear OD with cruise on trips really helps with mileage management. Def true that up to 60-65 mph is a highway sweet spot.....falls off when speeds above that. On a 2000 mile trip in August I would get somewhere 42-45 mpg on average.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Depends on so many things.

heavy/light throttle
flat country/mountain roads
gas quality
single or two riding
weight (luggage or empty)
and
how many miles (broke in or not already)

My milage is around 6 liters per 100kms which is ~ 39.2 mpg.

But I ride in germany with a lot stop and go, traffic lights always red with no turns on red, few to none interstate and a little highway riding, so . . . on some longer trips, the fuel consumption drops a bit, but got no better than 5.5 liters per 100kms ~ 42.7 mpg

Total bike milage is 10.000 mls with stock ECU, stock pipes with catalytic converter and oxy sensor (mandatory here with emission checks)

Cu,
Sven

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have 3 Vulcans. 2000 Nomad, 2011 Voyager, and a 2014 Nomad. I have tracked fuel consumption closely over the years. At 280 lbs and riding 70-80 mph I consistently get 33 to 34 mpg on all bikes. On back country roads going 45-55 mph get about 38-39 mpg. When fuel display starts blinking on 2011 and 2014 I have about 1 gallon left in tank. Coming back from Sturgis, SD and riding due east, I thought I had a fuel leak. Turned out we had a very strong headwind for about 150 miles. Got 25 mpg on that segment of trip. Just wish I had a 6 gallon tank on all bikes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well I am well over 1200 miles now on this new bike. Average MPG has indeed improved and is sitting around 37-38 with 75+ MPH mixed in with city driving. I usually start looking for fill up at around 130 miles following full tank. I haven't ran it dry to see where the mileage actually falls. But it is looking up for sure. Really liking the bike...but...
(Changing gears a little here)
1)Belt noise was very bad at 30 MPH but after doing some reading, I had the local shop loosen it to 5mm and whining was MUCH improved. But it is still there. Any suggestions or is that just the way this bike is? My other bike is shaft driven so this belt thing is new to me.
Also
2) Engine has begun having a tapping noise. Like a lifter noise? It speed up with RPM. It is annoying. Especially with these soft spoken stock mufflers. I have read that the engine tapping is "normal". But is that really true? Yes I run 90 plus octane,I honestly do not remember it when first getting the bike (2 actual miles on it) but I remember it for sure at the 4 to 500 mile mark. Seems that is is louder now. Thoughts on this topic? Although I recently had my 1000k oil change, guess I will try another oil and see what that gets me. May have to take it to the shop and see what they say.

Thanks in advance for any enlightening thoughts but also just thoughts in general as well (lol),
Rip

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
I have 3 Vulcans. 2000 Nomad, 2011 Voyager, and a 2014 Nomad. I have tracked fuel consumption closely over the years. At 280 lbs and riding 70-80 mph I consistently get 33 to 34 mpg on all bikes. On back country roads going 45-55 mph get about 38-39 mpg. When fuel display starts blinking on 2011 and 2014 I have about 1 gallon left in tank. Coming back from Sturgis, SD and riding due east, I thought I had a fuel leak. Turned out we had a very strong headwind for about 150 miles. Got 25 mpg on that segment of trip. Just wish I had a 6 gallon tank on all bikes.
Except for the reserve when the light goes on, your mileage is very much like mine. Good to know that someone else my size is getting about the same.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Well I am well over 1200 miles now on this new bike. Average MPG has indeed improved and is sitting around 37-38 with 75+ MPH mixed in with city driving. I usually start looking for fill up at around 130 miles following full tank. I haven't ran it dry to see where the mileage actually falls. But it is looking up for sure. Really liking the bike...but...
(Changing gears a little here)
1)Belt noise was very bad at 30 MPH but after doing some reading, I had the local shop loosen it to 5mm and whining was MUCH improved. But it is still there. Any suggestions or is that just the way this bike is? My other bike is shaft driven so this belt thing is new to me.
Also
2) Engine has begun having a tapping noise. Like a lifter noise? It speed up with RPM. It is annoying. Especially with these soft spoken stock mufflers. I have read that the engine tapping is "normal". But is that really true? Yes I run 90 plus octane,I honestly do not remember it when first getting the bike (2 actual miles on it) but I remember it for sure at the 4 to 500 mile mark. Seems that is is louder now. Thoughts on this topic? Although I recently had my 1000k oil change, guess I will try another oil and see what that gets me. May have to take it to the shop and see what they say.

Thanks in advance for any enlightening thoughts but also just thoughts in general as well (lol),
Rip
5 mm on the belt is still too tight, even if it is the specification per Kawi. If it was tighter than 5... OUCH! I have mine at 10 mm and all of the whining has been eliminated. Several folks on here have reported damage to the swing arm bearing, belt damage, and other issues when running at the factory tension.

·
Registered
232 Posts
31000 on my '12 Nomad. K&N air filter helps alot and lasts 5x longer than stock. Royal purple 5w40 with k&n oil filter, Michelin Commander 2s at 42psi, no extra weight just my 190lbs, little downshifting with mostly front brake, otherwise ride like I stole it, 70% highway. Like others said, above 72mph cold weather less than 40 I only get 43.8mpg unless I add octane booster. Mild weather at 72 I get 44 to 46mpg. I ride every day, commute interstate to city. Stop n go drops it alot unless I stay off throttle. 55 mpg at 50, drops every mph above that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am sure that it may have been covered before but...
I have purchased a 2017 Voyager and love the bike. The only thing that is concerning is the readout says it is only getting 34.5 MPG. I currently only have 890 Miles on the bike so far. I have seen others boasting 38 to 43 MPG from theirs. Is mine an oddball or is it going to get better with more miles on the bike? Also I noted that once the bike gt to half and especially at 1/4 tank, it is like my gas is getting siphoned out of my tank. The gauge falls rapidly. Normal or no?

Thanks in Advance,
Rip
The readout is not accurate at all! If you have a GPS you will find out that the speedometer/odometer are both wrong and your MPG is even worst than the readout is telling you. I get 33 MPG per GPS mileage and gas add when I fill up. If I could ride at 55 to 65 MPH I can get in the low 40's MPG. In Texas who wants to go that slow.

·
Registered
232 Posts
31000 on my '12 Nomad. K&N air filter helps alot and lasts 5x longer than stock. Royal purple 5w40 with k&n oil filter, Michelin Commander 2s at 42psi, no extra weight just my 190lbs, little downshifting with mostly front brake, otherwise ride like I stole it, 70% highway. Like others said, above 72mph cold weather less than 40 I only get 43.8mpg unless I add octane booster. Mild weather at 72 I get 44 to 46mpg. I ride every day, commute interstate to city. Stop n go drops it alot unless I stay off throttle. 55 mpg at 50, drops every mph above that.

Recent issue with hi idle & lower 4mpg mileage in very cold weather. Just rode city at 47 degrees, Got hot n idle dropped, mileage skyrocketed. Somethings sticking - sensor wise.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Best mileage I got was 50MPG doing backroads 2up (200 miles I put exactly 4 gallons), about 55MPH average, the bike had around 20K miles. Now I'm at 41K, Ivanized. Last week I checked, doing an average of 72MPH the fuel light goes off at 170 Miles, got 38MPG. Going faster than that gets really worse, like one time I got the light going off at 120 miles and got 28MPG. I also feel like cold weather reduces the mileage a little bit.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts