Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I would like to start by saying that I did not get this bike for saving gas however I just want to make sure I am running properly. I look online and see average mpg is around 36mpg. I have never done better than 31mpg. Seems I am quite low and I just want it to be running proper so I don't do any damage. It does have a power comander 3 fuel processor. Cobra 2 in to 1 exaust. I belive it is a thunder intake. I don't hear any pinging or unusual sounds that I can tell so far. Any input would be great thanks for the help in advance.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
167 Posts
i drink pretty heavy in town. i think i get about 140ish miles per tank if i risk running it that low. i start blinking at 120ish so in town i get 25-30 mpg. but on the highway it shines. ive got close to 50 mpg i ran the bike dry once to see what my max range was before i died and i hit 245miles that was with 2-3 days of in town riding on top of the highway time. i have a Barron big air intake V&h power shots and the bully FMS as my main mods to the bike. if those are your in town numbers id say your running on the fair side the highway miles tell a better story.

·
Registered
167 Posts
a lot of my issue is i have the FMS tuned for heavy dumps on throttle rolls and fuel sipping while cruising . so around tower its always sucking gas with a lot of power since its a lot of stop and go. were as on the highway it switches to a sipping mode and i save a lot. you should be able to tweek your PC to a fuel sipper mode if gas mileage becomes a issue.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine is a mix but most highway at about 65 mph. I have not been over 31mpg I have put about 6,000 mils on it since I baught it middle of late years riding season. Only put a few tanks m of gas through so far this season.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is the first bike I owend having a tuner it is nice to have a baseline to guage weather or not your having problems I just want to make sure I'm at a decent baseline. I had the fuel light go on at 145 miles. And I am sure mine is set about b like yours the power is unreal. Love this bike.

·
BOTM Winner, October 2016
537 Posts
Anytime you modify air intake and exhaust you will run more fuel, just how it goes. The up side is having miss power on tap. I haven't measured in a while, but I've kept the stock air box on mine. The stock exhaust was just too much weight and whatever loss I might have had to mpg it was made up in weight reduction.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes and i am fully aware of that. I am not expecting it to be at any spacific milage i am just making sure it is not running to rich where i may do damage. Like i say just a baseline making sure evwrything is good. I also knw much of it my fault because the throttle twist is oh so good.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
2009. Odometer is off so was speedometer. Used a device "speedohealer" Fixed the MPH. Bottom line is miles come up short. That makes it hard to get a correct idea of the mileage you are getting. I know it is a problem for other 2000's. Not sure how wide spread. Before I realized it was off was getting 32 ish. Now city 36-38. Highway low to mid 40's. 42-45 MPG. Peace

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine has a spedo healer on it. Doesnt that correct both speed and odomiter?
What is revered euro gears? Did you remove the euro gear?

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Yes and i am fully aware of that. I am not expecting it to be at any spacific milage i am just making sure it is not running to rich where i may do damage. Like i say just a baseline making sure evwrything is good. I also knw much of it my fault because the throttle twist is oh so good.

You won't do much if any damage running rich. You'll just be wasting gas. Maybe a little carbon buildup but that's about it. Running too lean is what destroys a motor.

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
I've never measured my mpg.

Like others, I'm set up for "light-to-light, banshee screaming, 4 horseman coming to town"...
I'm with smedlin. I did NOT get this beast for her sipping capabilities. I had Vespas for that...and my trusty Hyundai Accent! As my mammaw woulda said about Big Mo', "Vic, she's made fer blowin' and goin'!" Ah, the wisdom that old girl had!

Victor :nerd:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree 100% i did not get it for sipping gas. It is called a beast for a reason. Like i say just trying to make sure i have a good baseline. It is a good guage if somthing changes

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
The first time I checked mileage, I was in the mid-30's or so. For giggles I wrote down all my fuel input an mileage last summer after doing the Eurogear update on a trip down to Montana through the mountains. I was in the mid 40's when I drove like a sane person, back into the upper 30's when my cousin on is M109R but the boots to 'er.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Our gallon is a bit bigger so the numbers are slightly skewed but while "down south" I average about 35 mpg combo driving. Up here in the mountainous west I get about 40 mpg, depending on the route.... My 04 runs a bit rich, puffing a little black cloud everytime I crack the throttle quick but considering the weight of the bike PLUS wide and mighty riders I am pretty happy with the mediocre economy lol.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not disappointed I get about 30 to 31 mpg but a cap ton of power at 111 hp and 137 torque I'm not disapointed in this bike at all

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,855 Posts
I've never measured my mpg.

Like others, I'm set up for "light-to-light, banshee screaming, 4 horseman coming to town"...
Same here. friends say "You must get great gas millage", I say How the hell would I know, I don't even look at the speedometer.

·
Registered
167 Posts
i will say we take some long trips 4-500 mile ranges and the 1st tank i burn up pretty quick but once im at a running temp i tend to get 10 to 15 mpg better

1 - 19 of 19 Posts