Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a 2010 Vulcan 900 and I just recently added the Cobra Swept exhaust and also a K&N Superflow air filter. Do I need to remap the fuel incase its running lean? I have been asking around here and I get different mechanics saying different things some say yes you need it and some say no you do not need it that thats not enough upgrades to need to dump more fuel because the computer will compensate a little. The local kawi mechanic (thats been doing it for 20+ years) said that it don't need it and that it would have needed it if I would have went with the hypercharger. Because it gets much more air flow with that. But changing the exhaust and replacing the stock air filter does not need a fuel map. Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks!!

·
Registered
851 Posts
I dont think you really need one and yes it will run a little leaner but not enought to hurt your motor. I put on a set of cobra speedster longs and with a K&N filter and had no problems accept for a little popping. I now have a cobra FI2000R processor and that thing is a pain in the ass to get set right. If your thinking of any kind of fuel management, I would go with a PCV and have it dynoed!

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Hey guys I have a 2010 Vulcan 900 and I just recently added the Cobra Swept exhaust and also a K&N Superflow air filter. Do I need to remap the fuel incase its running lean? I have been asking around here and I get different mechanics saying different things some say yes you need it and some say no you do not need it that thats not enough upgrades to need to dump more fuel because the computer will compensate a little. The local kawi mechanic (thats been doing it for 20+ years) said that it don't need it and that it would have needed it if I would have went with the hypercharger. Because it gets much more air flow with that. But changing the exhaust and replacing the stock air filter does not need a fuel map. Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks!!
Cobra and Power Commander are expensive but have a lot of features. Vance & Hines and Dobeck Performance are a lot cheaper and simply add fuel much like someone with carbs would install bigger jets. If you're only interested in the sound of open pipes then I think you're OK with where you are now. If you want better performance then consider a fuel processor. By the way your mechanic is wrong when he says the ECU will compensate for the open pipes. The USA bikes, with the exception of Calif., are open loop systems and the ECU is running blind when it comes to air fuel mixtures.

·
Banned
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cobra and Power Commander are expensive but have a lot of features. Vance & Hines and Dobeck Performance are a lot cheaper and simply add fuel much like someone with carbs would install bigger jets. If you're only interested in the sound of open pipes then I think you're OK with where you are now. If you want better performance then consider a fuel processor. By the way your mechanic is wrong when he says the ECU will compensate for the open pipes. The USA bikes, with the exception of Calif., are open loop systems and the ECU is running blind when it comes to air fuel mixtures.

O ok: yea im not really interested in getting any more performance out of the bike (not for now anyway) I just wanted the pipes for looks and also for sound!!
Does it mean anything if the pipes are changing color under the heat shield when I look under the heat shield the pipes have changed to a few different colors like blue, purple, and gold does that mean anything?

·
Banned
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont think you really need one and yes it will run a little leaner but not enought to hurt your motor. I put on a set of cobra speedster longs and with a K&N filter and had no problems accept for a little popping. I now have a cobra FI2000R processor and that thing is a pain in the ass to get set right. If your thinking of any kind of fuel management, I would go with a PCV and have it dynoed!
Cool man how long did you ride it for without the Cobra FI2000R? And did the popping stop after you added it? So far I have a just a little bit of popping on decel but other then that they sound great and the bike runs the same as before!!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Cool man how long did you ride it for without the Cobra FI2000R? And did the popping stop after you added it? So far I have a just a little bit of popping on decel but other then that they sound great and the bike runs the same as before!!
I rode for about three months before I add the fuel processor! I will say the fuel processor made my bike run smoother but I still have a very very little popping if i keep my wrist out of it, but if your like me...I love to hear my pipes. And I did do the marble thing and that helped with the popping a lot!

·
Banned
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I rode for about three months before I add the fuel processor! I will say the fuel processor made my bike run smoother but I still have a very very little popping if i keep my wrist out of it, but if your like me...I love to hear my pipes. And I did do the marble thing and that helped with the popping a lot!
Yea I seen a few threads about the marble thing how do you do that?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Yea I seen a few threads about the marble thing how do you do that?
On the top right back of your air box there's a 3/4" hose, shove a 1/2" marble in that hose and reconnect the hose to the back of the box and your done. Or you can do what I did and pulled the hose off and used black tape and taped up the back of the air box and then put the hose back on. I did it that way because I couldn't find a 1/2" marble, there not easy to find these days.

·
Banned
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On the top right back of your air box there's a 3/4" hose, shove a 1/2" marble in that hose and reconnect the hose to the back of the box and your done. Or you can do what I did and pulled the hose off and used black tape and taped up the back of the air box and then put the hose back on. I did it that way because I couldn't find a 1/2" marble, there not easy to find these days.
O ok I will have to check that out what is that hose there for anyway?

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
O ok I will have to check that out what is that hose there for anyway?
There are two hoses coming into the back of the air cleaner so be sure you pick the one going to the secondary air solenoid, not the engine case. The secondary air, or PAIR, system injects air into the exhaust system just after the exhaust valve in order to burn off any unburned hydrocarbon coming out of the combustion chamber. The consequence is a popping sound which is normally suppressed by the stock exhaust.
The pipes will change color from the heat of the exhaust, that's normal.

·
Banned
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are two hoses coming into the back of the air cleaner so be sure you pick the one going to the secondary air solenoid, not the engine case. The secondary air, or PAIR, system injects air into the exhaust system just after the exhaust valve in order to burn off any unburned hydrocarbon coming out of the combustion chamber. The consequence is a popping sound which is normally suppressed by the stock exhaust.
The pipes will change color from the heat of the exhaust, that's normal.
O ok thanks man is their a pic. of which hose to marble??

·
Registered
851 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts