Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning, I have a 2005 V2K with Cobra Longs. I want to put a K&N stock replacement filter in the breather, will I need to add a fuel processor to the beast.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Good morning, I have a 2005 V2K with Cobra Longs. I want to put a K&N stock replacement filter in the breather, will I need to add a fuel processor to the beast.
BR, this is only MY opinion, but I believe that the V2K's advanced fuel system does not respond well to the addition of a fuel module. There will , no doubt be folks who disagree, but I spent so much time experimenting with my Power Commader that the seat retaining bolts are almost worn out LOL. Ive dyno mapped my first V2k & tried various fuel mapps since , played with settings and I finnaly REMOVED it . As of 08 , a Kawi rep told me that the V2K has/had, the most complicated/advanced fuel management system of ANY production motorcycle. I cannot verify that , but those were HIS words. To date, Im on my third V2K and have had NO problems using various pipes & air cleaners , EXCEPT that Ive had an aftermarket air system LEAK & suck in dirt!!!
Others may dispute this , but I have yet to be convinced how any bike which smokes BLACK , and shows black pipes , can be running lean!!! I will bet the farm , that your V2K tosses lots of BLACK upon acceleration , black smoke is unburnt fuel/or imporperly burnt fuel, either way it spells RICH mixture
BH will likley disagree and Im NOT demeaning him , but I suspect that the dyno which tested his bike was not properly calibrated.
I realise that im no expert, but i do hold a qualified journeyman ticket & its 40yrs old LOL That does not guarantee cerdibility , but in 75k+ miles on V2K's, with various pipe combos, I fail to see much value in a fuel management modification on the V2K . I may compromise that there could be some value in timing mods, at lower rpms, to allow use of lower octane , FRESH, reg fuel. I say this because the availablity of good quality FRESH premium fuel is rare at best. The fuel of today has a very short "shelf life" and finding fresh premium is not easy. In years gone by you could leave your lawn mower/hot rod,etc full of fuel over winter & in spring = NO issues , NOT SO NOW!!!
Just my opinons , as for the K&N , Im confused about it too? How can ANY filter which flows MORE air , trap more dirt???

FYI, it takes ONE, 1, NUMERO UNO, oz. of dirt/ per 100 CI of engine to RUIN it!!! Thats 1.25 oz of dirt passing through your air filter RUINS your 125 ci V2K engine! Ive seen these numbers PROVEN on a dyno!!! BTW, that dyno test was done by the largest engine manfacturer in the world , those are their test results!!! Just 8 oz of road 'dust" injested by a NEW 855 ci engine , runnig for 15min on the dyno, wore it BEYOND acceptible limits. Result= brand new ENGINE RUINED!!!
Make NO mistake , the air filter IS the MOST important filter on your bike!!!!it filters FAR more gallons of air than the engines oil/oil filter ever attempted.
All the best, enjoy your beast , some TLC will go a long way.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks rkd2.3, sounds like I should probably stick with the off the shelf Kawasaki filter and replace it as needed.

·
Registered
616 Posts
cont'd

Thanks rkd2.3, sounds like I should probably stick with the off the shelf Kawasaki filter and replace it as needed.
Thats been MY choice ! Even a dirty filter is better than a leaking one!! btw , I edited previous post with some added test info.
Im sure there are many reputible filter manufacturers ,To each his own! {disclaimer] lol

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
I also was told that if I put pipes on my Beast I should put a fuel module on also. I was told that the engine would run lean with my 2 into 1 Cobra pipes.
I bought a Cobra FI-2000 and installed it. Prior to installation I was getting some of that black smoke stuff you referred to. Yeah, lean my ass. I used the FI-2000 to lean out the mixture slightly to stop the black smokey stuff.

The thing I like about the FI-2000 is it can be mounted somewhere accessible without removing the seat. Mine is inside the right side cover where the tool pouch used to be. Makes it easy to reset the tuning to suit the moment. Don't need no steenkeng mapping. The Beast goes fast enough to suit me and gets plenty good gas mileage, even pulling my trailer, so I leave shit alone until it breaks.

·
Registered
616 Posts
fuel

I also was told that if I put pipes on my Beast I should put a fuel module on also. I was told that the engine would run lean with my 2 into 1 Cobra pipes.
I bought a Cobra FI-2000 and installed it. Prior to installation I was getting some of that black smoke stuff you referred to. Yeah, lean my ass. I used the FI-2000 to lean out the mixture slightly to stop the black smokey stuff.

The thing I like about the FI-2000 is it can be mounted somewhere accessible without removing the seat. Mine is inside the right side cover where the tool pouch used to be. Makes it easy to reset the tuning to suit the moment. Don't need no steenkeng mapping. The Beast goes fast enough to suit me and gets plenty good gas mileage, even pulling my trailer, so I leave shit alone until it breaks.
CP, yeah its kinda like, Why F-- with a GOOD thing? Im willing to believe that the engineers at Kawasaki , likely know more about it than we do !

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
I don't know what the Kawasaki engineers know but fro some of the things I've seen about this bike I'm beginning to think they are rookies.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You won't need to add a fuel processor to add a K&N airfilter. Not much difference between the stock and the K&N except the K&N is re-usable. Will pay for it self in no time flat. If yo upgrade to a Thunder, BAK etc air kit you will as they allow way more air than the stock.

With a PCIII and Thunder air kit I hit 139 torque and 115 HP on the dyno
Hose

·
Registered
616 Posts
You won't need to add a fuel processor to add a K&N airfilter. Not much difference between the stock and the K&N except the K&N is re-usable. Will pay for it self in no time flat. If yo upgrade to a Thunder, BAK etc air kit you will as they allow way more air than the stock.

With a PCIII and Thunder air kit I hit 139 torque and 115 HP on the dyno
Hose
Those are good numbers , Hose !
My 04 made 142 ft lbs , but only 108 hp, its 3.5"ID pipes may have allowed a wee bit of a torque advantage. I know its faster than my 08 !
but truthfully , stock format is likley sufficient HP ?????? NA ! not really LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts