Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Little help please??? I just purchased my 2008 V2K Limited. The Bike has 2000 miles and in all factory. I wanted to put some good sounding pipes on it but I'm told that I need to add a fuel management device also. Question; what is the most cost effective and most utilitarian fuel management module out there (and obviously which performs Best with the V2K Beast)? Any bad experiences with any manufacturer's pipes??

Thanks Guys!!!!!

·
Registered
616 Posts
fuel

Little help please??? I just purchased my 2008 V2K Limited. The Bike has 2000 miles and in all factory. I wanted to put some good sounding pipes on it but I'm told that I need to add a fuel management device also. Question; what is the most cost effective and most utilitarian fuel management module out there (and obviously which performs Best with the V2K Beast)? Any bad experiences with any manufacturer's pipes??

Thanks Guys!!!!!
Congrats on your new bike.
Im on my third V2K and if you wish to "pipe" yours, Have at it , forget the fuel management item. IF you change only pipes dont worry bout it. Ive had Hard Krome 3 " big straights , look good, work well, but kinda harsh sound for my taste.
Were I doing it again, Id consider a two into one system.
Last two bikes, I made my own , so sorry cant comment on other brands.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Iron i have the Power Comander 3 > they have a new system out its the PC 5 it self adjusts so to speak but costs more! I also have Hard Chrome 2 into 1 pipes and a Custom Air breather. So whats the best ? I had my bike on the dino at Daytona and had it mapped out so it works great and its been trouble free for 2.5 years.. Now my pipes are loud im losing my hearing on my right side and i think its getting louder as time goes on. One of my buddies has a stock V2K and he seems to have as much grunt as i do i really cant tell much difference . So take your pick, you can drill your baffles in your stock pipes to get a throatier sound for a couple of bucks or spend a cool grand and other than the noise factor i dont think its that much different... Bulldozer, if you really want excitement go to the darkside....

·
Registered
616 Posts
fuel

Dozer, I think you have me convinced to go DARKSIDE as soon as my Avon give up!

·
Registered
864 Posts
RK now i appreciate the flowers so to speak, but if you run yor big ol beast into a ditch you cant say it was Bulldozer that made ya do it ok..... Let me try this out a few days and i will report back, besides i run roads that have ruts like 6in deep & pot holes they raise fish in so i can give an honest evaluation ,, of coarse Ponch has been darkside since Moby Dick was a minow he says its great..

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
I've got nearly 3000 miles on my scoot since I went darkmeat and I will not be going back any time soon.
Goodyear 205 x 65 x 16 fits perfect, rides smooth, easy to balance with Dynabeads, make a slight road noise when you hit different types of pavement, somewhat tends to follow grooves and ruts in pavement but only slightly.

Pulled my trailer to Central Florida and back with no problems at all. Tire looks like it hasn't even been on the ground.

BTW, I drug the floorboards cornering yesterday with no slippage at all. Even surprised my self.

·
Registered
616 Posts
ditch

RK now i appreciate the flowers so to speak, but if you run yor big ol beast into a ditch you cant say it was Bulldozer that made ya do it ok..... Let me try this out a few days and i will report back, besides i run roads that have ruts like 6in deep & pot holes they raise fish in so i can give an honest evaluation ,, of coarse Ponch has been darkside since Moby Dick was a minow he says its great..
Dozer, have no worries, I have NO plans on returning to the ditch any time soon LOL. Been there, got the titanium LOL
I have been threatening to go Dark for three years . The tire I chose is a Cooper Zeon 2XS it has water channeling grooves, directional tread similar to the G'year Assurance triple tread BUT the tread in the center of the tire is 1/16 deeper than the rest of the face, so the face of the tire has a natural "crown". I will be Darkside soon, currently have 2000mi on my Avon rear .
Good luck in the potholes

·
Registered
126 Posts
Wow Bulldozer, 1 day on the darkside and your already preaching the power of the force....nice. You may like it now but your gonna LOVE it later.

CoolPig, Last summer after a full year on my ct (minus ugly winter months) and over 7000 miles, I took a trip out to southern B.C. For any of you who have never been to our westernmost province it is FULL of curvy mountainous highways....especially the old ones where they were too lazy to blast through so they just went around everything. I left so much steel on the roads from dragging that I thought I was gonna have to replace my bank sensors when I got home. Only time it ever felt 'loose' was when I picked up a small piece of metal off the road that caused a slow leak and the tire was getting soft and squishy.

To the O.P., common belief is that fuel management is only required if you choose to do pipe AND intake, either one by itself and the onboard computer is capable of compensating accordingly.

·
Registered
616 Posts
tire

Wow Bulldozer, 1 day on the darkside and your already preaching the power of the force....nice. You may like it now but your gonna LOVE it later.

CoolPig, Last summer after a full year on my ct (minus ugly winter months) and over 7000 miles, I took a trip out to southern B.C. For any of you who have never been to our westernmost province it is FULL of curvy mountainous highways....especially the old ones where they were too lazy to blast through so they just went around everything. I left so much steel on the roads from dragging that I thought I was gonna have to replace my bank sensors when I got home. Only time it ever felt 'loose' was when I picked up a small piece of metal off the road that caused a slow leak and the tire was getting soft and squishy.

To the O.P., common belief is that fuel management is only required if you choose to do pipe AND intake, either one by itself and the onboard computer is capable of compensating accordingly.
Steel , have you any idea , at what lowered pressure the tire felt "squishy" .
I realise this a tough question, but just wondering if it felt worse at ?? say 20 psi , or was it lower than that?. What pressure do you normally run in your CT Does it make sense to run the Ct at 26psi? or does that allow too much sidewall flex? Im presuming that one would want SOME sidewall flex to allow as much contact patch as possible, but there has to be a min pressure where flex becomes too great for safety? I wouldnt think Id want to ride lower than 24psi, but havent gone there as yet , So what do I know !!!! As I posted , my tire of choice is a Cooper Zeon 2XS

·
Registered
864 Posts
Iron my apologies for your thread moving to tires but i hafta report > Just took my first extended ride on the darkside & its no big deal the biggest difference i noticed is if the road is slanted ( down here cause all the rain they can be real slanted ) you gotta steer the Beast as its wanting to turn right kinda go with the road . After about 25 miles it became part of the ride and didnt bother me ... Thats it, the beast took corners great no time did i feel uncomfortable . One thing i did notice in stop and go traffic i can now go really slow before putting my feet down, the bike just wants to stand up its actually kinda cool.. Bulldozer, reporting from way down south....

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
One important thing I found out was that due to the CT having a harder compound than the McT you are more likely to slide the tire on hard braking than with a Metzler, Avon, Brickstone, etc.
Just use both brakes as a habit and it isn't a big deal.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I appreciate the wise council CP , i have actually read that the car tire does provide better traction in rain whats your experience ??

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
I try very hard to keep from riding in the rain but on the trip home from Florida a couple of months ago I did have to run a long ways on roads just after the rain stopped. I had no problems at all other than pucker factor a few times but the tire performed flawlessly. I'll not be buying another damned Metzler tire for my Beast. Goodyear been good to me.

·
Registered
126 Posts
rkd2.3....short answer, no, I have no idea.
Long answer, I tired to find the forum/post where I first got my 'break in period, and sweet spot adjustment' advise but no luck so.....
Lots of people would tell you to run at least 500 Miles at 40 psi. This serves the purpose of not only wearing off the mold release from the manufacturing process, but also to heat the tire hot enough, and long enough to help to properly bond all of the components so that they will start to act as one uniform substance, allowing the tire to do all of the things it is supposed to do. For the record, I think that I ran mine at 40 only for about the first 100 or so. Once you are satisfied that you have gotten through the break in period, and the tire is fully doing it's job, it is suggested that you can safely start to drop the pressure by 2 lbs at a time, then take it out for a ride. If it still feels solid under you then you should drop it by another 2 lbs. Continue this process until you get to the point that it starts to feel 'mushy' or 'squirmy' when cornering. Once you have gotten to that point you should start to go back up by 1 pound at a time until it feels solid again. At that point you have obtained what is commonly known as the sweet spot. This is most likely the pressure that you will want to maintain in your tire that will give you the most 'normal' feel as far as darksiders like us can obtain. I finally settled on 34 psi for my ride. I have read of guys being happy with anywhere from 28 to as high as 48 pounds. Some guys, myself included, settle at one pressure for all riding conditions, while others constantly adjust to accommodate for differences in riding solo vs 2up or any other of a multitude of things that may affect the feel of the bike. I have read that there are a lot of variables that come into play in finding the sweet spot, such as construction type and size of tire, the weight of the bike, the weight and riding style of the rider, solo or 2up....luggage or unladen, as well as road conditions (well paved smooth highways or beaten up unrepaired back roads). There are far to many variables for anyone to be able to tell you what the right pressure is for YOUR situation, so caution MUST be taken when seeking out advise from others. 26 sounds pretty low to me, but again, it's all about what feels right to YOU, it is, after all, your ride. And besides, the naysayers will tell us ALL that 'we're gonna bust our a$$e$'

·
Registered
126 Posts
One important thing I found out was that due to the CT having a harder compound than the McT you are more likely to slide the tire on hard braking than with a Metzler, Avon, Brickstone, etc.
Just use both brakes as a habit and it isn't a big deal.
Also, it's easier to chirp it and smoke them off the line too!!! If that's your thing:D

·
Registered
126 Posts
NO!! that would never happen !!!????? LOL {thru all 5 gears, for sure??? ???}
Trust me.....it happens. Maybe not in all 5, but it does happen.

·
Registered
305 Posts
How about we go back to talking about Fuel Managment. I use a Cobra FI2000R on my 08 V2K LT with Cobra long shots and a K&N drop in filter, OEM replacement. My settings are at 3-5-1. I blocked off my Air induction and bike runs great. I got rid of most off the decel popping and no backfire. Very little black smoke. I hear a lot of people dont use any fuel manegment at all, but not all the V2K's are the same. I think later models run leaner than some of the original earlier models which I hear run real rich so the only way to really tell if you want to use one is do the pipes without it and run for a little while and see how it works for you and then you can always try fuel pack later. I paid 190.00 for my fuel pack and put on myself which is plug and play, easy install so you dont have to pay out of pocket.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Mac!! I have a 2008 also. Do you have any detailed pics of your Beast?? Also was the fuel Mgt. device easy to install? Why would you block off air induction? Thanks!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts