Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed my fuel tank today to replace the spark plugs. After replacing the rear one I looked down and noticed the fuel line hose had backed off the fuel clip that attaches to the fuel pump (Kawasaki calls it the fuel hose joint). The fuel hose is only held on by friction over a 3/4" length of ribbed plastic. Mine was on the last 1/4"! Apparently, over the years either by vibration or other, the fuel hose was backing off this connector. I can only imagine what might have happened if it blew off while on the road! Unfortunately I didn't think to take a picture of the backed off line, but here's a pic of it pushed back on so you know which connector I'm referring to. It was pretty hard to push it back on (which is good) and seems to be holding firm at this time. I'll probably just go ahead and replace it with a new one to be safe.

I'm curious if this has happened to anyone else, plus I think it's a good idea to check this on your bikes. Mine's a Nomad but I believe the Voyager and Vaquero use the same design.

By the way, getting the front spark plug cap off is a bear!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
I removed my fuel tank today to replace the spark plugs. After replacing the rear one I looked down and noticed the fuel line hose had backed off the fuel clip that attaches to the fuel pump (Kawasaki calls it the fuel hose joint). The fuel hose is only held on by friction over a 3/4" length of ribbed plastic. Mine was on the last 1/4"! Apparently, over the years either by vibration or other, the fuel hose was backing off this connector. I can only imagine what might have happened if it blew off while on the road! Unfortunately I didn't think to take a picture of the backed off line, but here's a pic of it pushed back on so you know which connector I'm referring to. It was pretty hard to push it back on (which is good) and seems to be holding firm at this time. I'll probably just go ahead and replace it with a new one to be safe.

I'm curious if this has happened to anyone else, plus I think it's a good idea to check this on your bikes. Mine's a Nomad but I believe the Voyager and Vaquero use the same design.

By the way, getting the front spark plug cap off is a bear!
Put a zip tie on it. My thought, if you've taken it off before you probably unknowing did it yourself. But, if it helps you sleep better at night put a zip tie on and forget it. That's what I'd do. But, whatever floats you boat.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Put a zip tie on it. My thought, if you've taken it off before you probably unknowing did it yourself. But, if it helps you sleep better at night put a zip tie on and forget it. That's what I'd do. But, whatever floats you boat.
A zip tie's a good idea and easy to do. I'll do that today. The angle that the hose sits on the clip makes it unlikely that I unknowingly pulled the hose off myself, though anything is possible. When pulling the clip off the fuel pump you don't pull on the hose as it would probably break the plastic. At any rate, I only posted this as a precaution to others just in case mine's not an isolated incident. Thanks for the idea!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts