Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was just wondering it says i have a 5.3 gallon tank but when the fuel light comes on i put in 3.8 gals. is this normal is there still a gallon and a half in there? and I have a rattle noise in the front could be engine or body its around 2500 rpms has anyone heard of this. Thanks for any info
Gary

·
Registered
39 Posts
What bike? My new Vaquero has a mysterious rattle in the front I just can't put my finger on. I don't think it's in the motor, most likely something at the fairing. I never noticed it till I went to a taller windshield and that cut out the wind noise now I hear the rattle!

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
The mysterious rattle on the front is usually the tank trim rattling against the tank under the ignition switch where it touches the tank. A piece of velcro/rubber under the two edges stops it. Just press down on the plastic in front of the ignition switch ans see if it stops. My other mysterious rattle was the left compartment door on the fairing.

Yes, your low gas warning starts at 1/4 tank. Yes you still have enough gas to go at least 70-80 miles going slower. I have gone almost 90 once. But I was going slow. I was at a place in Nevada that is 170 miles between gas stations...

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info i will try the rattle idea, and i thought i could go further but was afraid to

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Best way to find out is get a 1 gal gas can and put it in a saddle bag and go until it stops or you just can't stand it any more..... When I lived in Nevada you ALWAYS took a gal of gas with you everywhere you went where I lived. Look up Tonopah Nevada on Google earth and see why.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
My light usually comes on 2-3 times before I need to stop, that is it comes on starting out from a stop or going up hill then goes back out in 1/2 mile or so, then come back on. When I do get gas, I rarely get more than 4 1/2 gal to fill it, meaning I still have around a gallon left. Remember, your fuel pump is cooled by the fuel, running it to low can over heat the pump and shorten its life. They aren't cheap.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
5.2 gallon tank. You're putting in 3.8 gallons. 1.4 gallons. If you average 40mpg (seems about 'average' for a lot of riders around here), that's 56 miles. That's about right. Most cars I've owned will throw a fuel light up with about 50 miles to empty. The difference is, on our bikes, 50 miles is 1/4 tank! My car right now has 310~ miles on the tripmeter with 75 miles showing until empty. Definitely a lot farther range than my Vaquero!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Speaking of the fuel, what increments are shown on the gauge...1/6ths?

At first I thought each mark represented one gallon, but that's not the case.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Great tip Rick..Thanks!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts