Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've discovered a "weeping" fuel leak somewhere around the rear bracket of my gas tank. Hard to determine the exact spot it's leaking. The bracket appears welded to the tank but I don't know if it comes that way or if someone has welded it after the fact.

Pics att'd for clarification.

Anyhoo ... any advice on how to repair it without re-welding?

Applying a "gas tank" repair such as .... ???

Product Font Material property Tire Automotive tire

Musical instrument Trigger Bicycle part Material property Shotgun

Revolver Sculpture Auto part Eyewear Personal protective equipment

·
Registered
234 Posts
Not uncommon. There was a recall at one time for this from Kawasaki.
I got a free new replacement tank about 4-5 years ago on mine.
Not sure they still doing it. Try contacting your local Dealer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not uncommon. There was a recall at one time for this from Kawasaki.
I got a free new replacement tank about 4-5 years ago on mine.
Not sure they still doing it. Try contacting your local Dealer.
Thanks for that info .... I will give it a shot.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked all recall sources for both Canada and USA for this bike and there was no recall for gas tank. There was; however, for 2003 model.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I had a 2006 Classic and the tank had that exact leak and was replaced free under recall. Push the issue with your local dealer and let them push Kawasaki.

·
Super Moderator
5,492 Posts
Call Kawasaki customer service first and get their take on it. Unless you are a good customer, have found motorcycle dealers tend to shine people on if anything requires extra effort that will not produce significant money for them. Unfortunately good ones are rare.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a 2006 Classic and the tank had that exact leak and was replaced free under recall. Push the issue with your local dealer and let them push Kawasaki.
Good to know

Call Kawasaki customer service first and get their take on it. Unless you are a good customer, have found motorcycle dealers tend to shine people on if anything requires extra effort that will not produce significant money for them. Unfortunately good ones are rare.
I plan to go that route also. One problem I might run up against is that my bike is a US model and I live in Canada.

·
Registered
2006 1600 Nomad
44 Posts
I had the same problem with my 06 Nomad and Kawasaki said it was to old to do anything about it but offered to sell me a new tank for $1300.00. Well that wasn't happening so I took the tank off and bought some JB Weld. First thing you have to do is make sure your tank is empty, then use a fine sandpaper to sand it down all around that weld, ( I went a little further) then mix the JB Weld in small batches and apply with a cheap paint brush in thin layers. Wait until each layer dries before adding another coat, you may need more than 1 brush, until you have about 4 layers on it and VIOLA all fixed for about $10.00 and some patience. Did it the beginning of this season and it's been holding up fine so far.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had the same problem with my 06 Nomad and Kawasaki said it was to old to do anything about it but offered to sell me a new tank for $1300.00. Well that wasn't happening so I took the tank off and bought some JB Weld. First thing you have to do is make sure your tank is empty, then use a fine sandpaper to sand it down all around that weld, ( I went a little further) then mix the JB Weld in small batches and apply with a cheap paint brush in thin layers. Wait until each layer dries before adding another coat, you may need more than 1 brush, until you have about 4 layers on it and VIOLA all fixed for about $10.00 and some patience. Did it the beginning of this season and it's been holding up fine so far.
There are several "types" of JB Weld ... which one did you use?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Same same and same!
I had the same problem, leak in same place, check the front bracket wield too, i pressure tested to see extent of leak , it went further than i thourt.
Same clean up with a wire brush on a grinder, don't go over the top just bare metal about 20 mil past the crack, you should be able to see the cracks at this stage.
Same product, cold wield, put plenty on go well past the cracks, and give a couple of days to thoroughly go off, you can grind or file this stuff so any excess or in the wrong place can be removed.
replace the rubber between the tank and frame and don't do bolts super tight,
2 oz is shit loads i still got half a tube left and i have used it on a couple of other jobs, great shit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Same same and same!
I had the same problem, leak in same place, check the front bracket wield too, i pressure tested to see extent of leak , it went further than i thourt.
Same clean up with a wire brush on a grinder, don't go over the top just bare metal about 20 mil past the crack, you should be able to see the cracks at this stage.
Same product, cold wield, put plenty on go well past the cracks, and give a couple of days to thoroughly go off, you can grind or file this stuff so any excess or in the wrong place can be removed.
replace the rubber between the tank and frame and don't do bolts super tight,
2 oz is shit loads i still got half a tube left and i have used it on a couple of other jobs, great shit.
Thanks for this info guys !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts