Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

What would cause the fuel pump buzz at start up to chatter? It never used to chatter, it was a constant buzz for a few seconds. The only thing I can think of is that I had left my key on run for about 20 minutes before this started happening... any thoughts?

Thanks.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine sounds different depending on if it's upright or on the side stand if the gas tank is not completely full.
Man, I wish that was it, but I start her on her side stand every morning to warm her up. I still may try to see if that is it though.

What different sounds does yours make (i know it's hard to emulate in print...) ?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Hey guys,

What would cause the fuel pump buzz at start up to chatter? It never used to chatter, it was a constant buzz for a few seconds. The only thing I can think of is that I had left my key on run for about 20 minutes before this started happening... any thoughts?

Thanks.
Disconnect the fuel pump at the plug connection behind the coil cover. Using a digital multimeter set on DC volts, check the voltage coming into the plug connection while someone turns on the ignition. You should get a solid 12VDC or more for about three seconds. You can also use a lamp cord and jumper the pump directly from the battery at the same location to see if you get the same or different sound. Those tests will tell you if it's the pump or the wiring and relay leading up to the pump.

·
Registered
295 Posts
When it's upright it sounds quieter and smooth. If it's on the sidestand it cavitates a little and you can hear the gas sloshing around. The hum is louder too.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Disconnect the fuel pump at the plug connection behind the coil cover. Using a digital multimeter set on DC volts, check the voltage coming into the plug connection while someone turns on the ignition. You should get a solid 12VDC or more for about three seconds. You can also use a lamp cord and jumper the pump directly from the battery at the same location to see if you get the same or different sound. Those tests will tell you if it's the pump or the wiring and relay leading up to the pump.
I will try this... unfortunately I am electrically challenged.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When it's upright it sounds quieter and smooth. If it's on the sidestand it cavitates a little and you can hear the gas sloshing around. The hum is louder too.
I will listen for the difference when I leave work this afternoon. Thanks!

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Should test with the fuel pump still plugged in. Testing the voltage under no-load conditions does not usually give much useful information.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts