Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my ridin buddy buys a new V2K 2009 model has pipes, Baron Big Air kit and a Power commander v installed . He rides the bike for 15 min. and the FI light comes on solid red all the time. The dealer cant seem to get it to flash after many attempts ( thats supposed to give you a fault code ) so they cant tell whats wrong . The bike seems to run fine , just wondering if any one has encountered a similar situation out there with their beast ???? Bulldozer, still learnin the hard way....

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'd try to reset the ECU by disconnecting the negative battery terminal for 30 seconds. If that doesn't work, disconnect the PowerCommander and run the bike for a short time. It won't harm anything for a short time. If a sensor is bad, you'll definitely get a failure code (assuming the dealer knows what he's going).

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Not exactly sure what all a PC-V does, but I'd not trust any factory diagnostics, nor necessarily expect them to work correctly, when there is a "chip" on the bike.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Bob, I bet you nailed it. Makes sense that the codes dont work because of the PC V being on there, i never thought of that . Kept thinking there was a wire off or bad connection somewhere causing the problem...Keep you posted as to what happens. Ride safe, Bulldozer

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So disconnected the battery and unplugged the PC , reconnected the battery did a reset on the PC < didnt change anything > the red light is still on .. Apparently it has to be blinking to be able to decipher the fault code but it wont blink, we also followed the service manual and tried to check it that way ( to many details to list ) but that didnt work either ...... Any ideas are much appreciated.... Bulldozer , stumped as always

·
Registered
240 Posts
Is there an Oxygen sensor on the pipes? I'm not sure, but I thought the PC V required one. If it's not hooked -up, it might be causing the problem.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes there is an oxygen sensor and it is hooked up.... We have checked every wire and connector on the bike and we had an online check up with Power Commander, talked to Barron today they are gonna see if there is anything they can do as well... So far no one can seem to figure out what can be the cause of the constant red light on the dash..... The bike actually runs good so it doesnt seem to adversely affect the engine so far.. Bulldozer, still searching for answers................ ? Wish Ponch was around he always knows what to do !!!!!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep disconnected the PC then disconnected the battery hoping it would reset the ECU, drove the bike for 10 miles or so but do difference. The light is still on cant get it to blink which is what its supposed to do so you can get a code, number of blinks duration of light on etc. went ahead and reconnected the PC and drove the bike........... Bulldozer , im confused ..........

·
Registered
240 Posts
Looking at my Kawi manual, they give a few reasons for the FI light to remain "On". One of the main reasons could be low oil pressure. You might want to check your oil level and maybe replace the oil filter (partially clogged?). The manual also mentions a possible ground terminal "Open". You can check the following ground terminals on the ECU connector: terminals 26,27 and 51 (blk/yel wires) to battery (-) terminal. Also, terminal
25 (br/blk wire) to battery (-) terminal. Also check that the engine is grounded to the negative battery terminal. The FI light itself gets it's power from the ignition fuse and the ECU terminal #34 supplies the ground. It's possible this wire is pinched to the frame, so try looking at that, too. Hope this is some help. I know electrical problems can be real frustrating to troubleshoot. If all this fails, try checking for failure codes yourself. The "self diagnostic terminal wire" is under the seat, by the battery. Connect the self diag. wire to the negative battery terminal. Turn the ignition switch "ON" (don't start the bike). Push the MODE button and display the odometer. Then push the RESET button for more than two seconds. Now count the "blinks" to get the code. Good luck!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bob, Thanks for all of your effort. We have done the reset probably 10 times it makes no difference the light always stays on solid and if it doesnt blink it cant tell you anything, we also did an oil & filter change... Located the plug under the seat it has a pigtail on it you are supposed to ground this pigtail to the neg battery terminal to get codes as well, it didnt work. WE will try and chases the wires down you described and i will keep you posted.. Once again thanks, Bulldozer

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looking at my Kawi manual, they give a few reasons for the FI light to remain "On". One of the main reasons could be low oil pressure. You might want to check your oil level and maybe replace the oil filter (partially clogged?). The manual also mentions a possible ground terminal "Open". You can check the following ground terminals on the ECU connector: terminals 26,27 and 51 (blk/yel wires) to battery (-) terminal. Also, terminal
25 (br/blk wire) to battery (-) terminal. Also check that the engine is grounded to the negative battery terminal. The FI light itself gets it's power from the ignition fuse and the ECU terminal #34 supplies the ground. It's possible this wire is pinched to the frame, so try looking at that, too. Hope this is some help. I know electrical problems can be real frustrating to troubleshoot. If all this fails, try checking for failure codes yourself. The "self diagnostic terminal wire" is under the seat, by the battery. Connect the self diag. wire to the negative battery terminal. Turn the ignition switch "ON" (don't start the bike). Push the MODE button and display the odometer. Then push the RESET button for more than two seconds. Now count the "blinks" to get the code. Good luck!
Thanks for the info, Bob. I have a stock '04 VN2000. I just replaced the battery. Since then, the FI light is on all the time. Must've pinched a wire or not tight enough connection.

Vertigo

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
there is a reason they put pm's on these kinda sites. is more better than a 2x4

Yes there is an oxygen sensor and it is hooked up.... We have checked every wire and connector on the bike and we had an online check up with Power Commander, talked to Barron today they are gonna see if there is anything they can do as well... So far no one can seem to figure out what can be the cause of the constant red light on the dash..... The bike actually runs good so it doesnt seem to adversely affect the engine so far.. Bulldozer, still searching for answers................ ? Wish Ponch was around he always knows what to do !!!!!
well there bd, am not too very far off. I do check the site most days, but sometimes I get distracted.. work n all, and dont look at all or many of the subjects. A pm would probably get my 'tention.
now for that FI light thingy. the only time I experienced something like what you describe is when I gutted all the air injection crapola... 'bout 15 minutes after purchasing the bike. There is a selenoid type air valve in that mix that presents a certain ohm resistance/impedance that the FI module reads. If that selenoid/air valve connection is loose or removed, you need to put a (dang, I dont have that value handy) 320? ohm resistor accross the plug connectors. now the FI module sees what it thinks is that air valve and rocks n rolls like all is well in cantebury. ie, no more FI light. and yes, the bike will still run fine with the FI light trying to get yor 'tention.
let me know if this helps. out, ponch

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Ponch, knew i coulda pm,d you but i figured you were off ridin & ropin so didnt wana bug ya.. Next step is to take off the tank so we can eye ball everything, and most def. i will ck the solenoid connections etc. Gotta make a confession while im on here been thinkin about doin some off pavement stuff/ adventure ridin so i been sneakin around the Versys forums tryin to learn stuff.... < im sorry > any way we are talkin bout ridin to Cape Horn and back ( end of the world ) wana go with us ????? Bulldozer

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't know about the PCV. My V2K has just 4,700 miles so I haven't had to get under the "hood" except for battery replacement.

Good luck.

Vertigo

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes there is a PCV for the 2009 V2K ,its auto tune it also has a read out to mount on your handle bars, the whole package is around 700.00 i think..... Here is the link to their web site but it has all the details ..... Also believe there is No need to dino the bike with this set up.... I had to have mine done to map my PC 111 .... Bulldozer, still doin things the hard way ! http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/Products/PowerCommanderV/powercommander_v.aspx

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks, I see it is only for the 2009, mine is 2005, so no luck there.
I hope, PC will make one for the older bikes too. I like the autotune thing.
My 2005 has 9 more hp., than 2008 - up. Has something to do with pollution.

·
Registered
148 Posts
So my ridin buddy buys a new V2K 2009 model has pipes, Baron Big Air kit and a Power commander v installed . He rides the bike for 15 min. and the FI light comes on solid red all the time. The dealer cant seem to get it to flash after many attempts ( thats supposed to give you a fault code ) so they cant tell whats wrong . The bike seems to run fine , just wondering if any one has encountered a similar situation out there with their beast ???? Bulldozer, still learnin the hard way....
You may have a bad oil pressure sensor, ground the wire and the light may go off.
Bare

1 - 19 of 19 Posts