Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok... so i have read numerous threads about this problem and actually believe the guy that had the bike before me did or tried the fix... well it seemed to work until today. I had the light come on for the first time and the needle was reading just over 1/2?!?! what the heck?!?! i have put on just over 1,100 miles since i got it on 5/17... never saw any light before... and i have been less than 1/4 tank before?!?!

today at over 1/2 when it came on i stopped and filled it up --- 4.11 gallons?!?!

does this mean the pseudo-fix the guy did is failing? ideas?

TIA

·
Registered
142 Posts
Jagered....Here's how I "set" my fuel gauge. It works, but the resistance values might change somewhat from bike to bike..This is very easy but will take some time and patience. Find a "variable potentiometer" of about 1 or 2k resistance. These are cheap, and if you know of an electronics shop, you might be able to scrounge one....

Put the bike on a lift to level the tank OR prop it to make the tank level -- lift works best...remove the instrument cowl...locate the meter leads to the sender..It has a connector right at the front of the tank...Now drain the tank..syphon the fuel and then put in five litres or equivalent..metric tank has about 20 litres....Connect two leads to the connector(tank side) - one to one wire, the other lead to the other wire..The VR will have three connection points. The centre is called the sweep and is where the voltage from the sender is changed(and hence changes the needle position)....connect the leads from the sender -- one lead to the sweep the other to either of the VR's connecting points.

Turn the bike on.....adjust the fuel meter so that the needle just goes to empty OR the light comes on.....This will in effect give you a "reserve" of five litres or just a little more than a gallon of fuel. When this is done -- it's a slow process -- disconnect the leads from the fuel gauge.. use a digital meter to measure the resistance on the VR which was required to adjust the fuel level. Buy or scrounge the right value "fixed" resister and connect it to the gauge as before. Put some tape around it to keep it from coming loose or solder it in place and insulate....Your done...........BUT IT TAKES TIME......PIA! The value of 680 ohms has been floated but that may differ depending where you want to set your reserve...

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gotchya... thanks for the detailed response?!?

i figured it out that the guy put in 267Ohms (a 220 + a 47) and just press fit them into the connectors. he then loaded them up with liquid electrical tape?!? so it would make sense now that after seeing it and playing with it that the leads probably stopped touching. i'd like to try soldering in some connectors so that if his resistors are wrong i can easily change them... we'll see! for now i will keep an eye on the trip miles! :)

·
Registered
719 Posts
267 is should be pretty close. Mine's set at 259 and the light comes on at slightly less than 1/8 tank, 1.3gal remaining. I just stuffed the leads in the connector and taped it up. 2+ years so far and no problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts