Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

Short time reader first time poster. :)

I just bought a 2010 900 custom in July and have put 1300 miles on it so far.

I know that there are threads on both the fule gage and spedo error which I have read and led me to check mine. Both of which appear to be right on. The gas light comes on right when the gage needle hits the red on the gage and I checked the spedo against a GPS and my wifes car at multiple speeds and it's also within 1 to 2 mph. So my question is has anyone else noticed that it is correct on their 2010 or newer models?

Not sure if Kawi fixed the problem or I just got a good one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've never had a problem with the speedo, but the fuel gauge problem isn't the light coming on at red, it's showing red while you still have a couple gallons of fuel left. I did the mod to my 08 and it works great, now if I could just get away from this stupid gas with corn added to it I would actually get some real mileage....think I'm in the low 30s vs high 40s when I was in Texas.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I have a gallon of fuel left when the light comes on.
Relish in the knowledge that when your gauge hits the red and your light comes on that you really need to find a gas station and it's not a false alarm. Also, when your speedo says you are speeding and the cop behind the billboard confirmed it then you can take pleasure in forking out the bucks for your indulgence. Please, this is all tongue in cheek and I'm glad you have a winner. Ride safe.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have an '07 9LT. With the 250 ohm resistor mod, my fuel light comes on about when the needle is fully into the orange spot. With the mod, the gauge is accurate if you figure it's for the first 4 gallons.

With the 170/80 rear tire mod, odometer reads 1% low (100 true = 99 odo), and speedo reads 5 % high 60 true = 63 speedo). This is when tire is new.

Something to keep in mind--while the book says tank is 5.3 gallons, that apparently includes the air pocket above the inner fill neck. Usable capacity is 4.9 gallons max. At 45 mpg, that's still a range of 200 miles, which is pretty good by cruiser standards.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Relish in the knowledge that when your gauge hits the red and your light comes on that you really need to find a gas station and it's not a false alarm. Also, when your speedo says you are speeding and the cop behind the billboard confirmed it then you can take pleasure in forking out the bucks for your indulgence. Please, this is all tongue in cheek and I'm glad you have a winner. Ride safe.
I don't have to find one that quick, I,m averaging 51 mpg so far. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts