Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im still have the stalling problem I described in an earlier post, Kawaski aren't helpful. I suspect the ECU or fuel pump but as no error codes show up they won't let me try another with out buying one. The area service rep isnt interested and won't even bring a second hand one to try.

My other thought is the fuel pump or more specifically the filter. So I wondered about stripping and cleaning it, even though they say it's not serviceable if I get it apart I should be able to see if there is a blockage etc.

The stalling issue that goes away when I pull the clutch on and then rev the bike to 5 - 6k rpm. It has been random but seems to have settled to about 5 minutes after the bike starts

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
We haven't had a 1700 fuel pump out but in lookin at the pics in the parts listing and the service manual my technician says it looks similar to pumps from other skoots that we have seen. That being said we have always been able to disassemble a pump/filter ass'y, flush the pump out and backflush the filter. We have had a couple of instances where we were NOT ABLE to clean the filter due to it being so clogged up, usually this is from a rusted tank, or in one instance the owner continuously buying gas at a station with contaminated tanks.

A dirty filter/pump usually affects the performance at the higher rpm and the larger throttle openings where insufficient fuel flow/pressure will cause loss pf power.

If I read ur explanation correctly of how and when it dies, I would suggest addressing ALL the areas where the 1700's are known to have vacuum leaks. Between the throttle body/intake manifold and between the intake manifold and the heads. Also a good cleaning of the throttle plates and bores is a good idea.

RACNRAY

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We haven't had a 1700 fuel pump out but in lookin at the pics in the parts listing and the service manual my technician says it looks similar to pumps from other skoots that we have seen. That being said we have always been able to disassemble a pump/filter ass'y, flush the pump out and backflush the filter. We have had a couple of instances where we were NOT ABLE to clean the filter due to it being so clogged up, usually this is from a rusted tank, or in one instance the owner continuously buying gas at a station with contaminated tanks.

A dirty filter/pump usually affects the performance at the higher rpm and the larger throttle openings where insufficient fuel flow/pressure will cause loss pf power.

If I read ur explanation correctly of how and when it dies, I would suggest addressing ALL the areas where the 1700's are known to have vacuum leaks. Between the throttle body/intake manifold and between the intake manifold and the heads. Also a good cleaning of the throttle plates and bores is a good idea.

RACNRAY
Thanks for that Ray I hadn't considered the leaks.

Regards

Vic

·
Registered
21 Posts
I can say it for sure -yes you can disassemble fuel pump and clean the filter. I did it on mine scoot. Hope you resolved the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts