Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone had to replace their lock assy in the fuel cap yet? I have heard two different things..

(1) you can't replace just the lock by itself, you most replace the fuel cap and lock together..

(2) that you can replace just the lock assy...

After completely taking it a part I see no way of getting the lock assy out...

Thanks in advance ......

·
Registered
659 Posts
I believe you're stuck with option #1 which means you'll also be stuck packing two keys. I've wondered how much trouble it would be to replace the whole unit with an after market flush fitting pop up cap. All the ones I've seen replace a cap with a threaded bung. I'll try to find my manual later and see if it mentions the gas cap lock.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply .... After looking at it and taking the fuel cap completely a part, there is a small spring loaded tab on the back side of the lock assy once you have it a part, using a small flat screw driver you can press the tab in, and the lock assy will come out.. you can then just replace the fuel cap itself... Mine has started leaking gas around the seal from the filler tube

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Thanks for the reply .... After looking at it and taking the fuel cap completely a part, there is a small spring loaded tab on the back side of the lock assy once you have it a part, using a small flat screw driver you can press the tab in, and the lock assy will come out.. you can then just replace the fuel cap itself... Mine has started leaking gas around the seal from the filler tube
Awesome! Glad it worked out!

I'll have to look into that 'dummy key' thing. That's certainly interesting, if true. I think my 900 has the same gas cap as a V2K.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you google the part number 51049-0003 it comes up under many different bikes... not just the V2K...

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
if you google the part number 51049-0003 it comes up under many different bikes... not just the V2K...
Makes sense. That's how they keep these bikes cheap! By sharing parts across models and even across brands. And why not? A fuel cap is a fuel cap, why not use it on every model it'll fit on...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts