Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took off the tank to my 06 Classic in order to relocate my Wolo to the back. Disconnected the 4 plugs to the coil, 2 breather tubes and the fuel line. Ran my wiring and put everything back. Now the bike wont fire up. The starter is definitely working and it almost fires (even got a couple of backfires). Had the battery tested and its good. Took it all back apart again just in case something worked loose and double checked all the connections. Nothing loose, pinched or otherwise out of place. Any ideas? Think the fuel pump could be toast? Never had a lick of trouble until I took the tank off.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,905 Posts
Was it your first time to take it off?

You sure you hooked the fuel house thingy in all the way?

4 plugs to coil.. 4 plugs. Now you got me scratching my head. I've taken my tank off 20 or 30 times. I'm wanting to say there are only 3 plug-ins to the coil...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep...first time to take off. Pretty easy actually. The fuel hose was the first thing that I checked and it was as far as it would go and the orange clamp snapped back in.

Well mine definately has 4 plugs

·
Registered
754 Posts
Ya, that's weird. Have you tried twisting the throttle while starting it? Mine did something very similar to what you are explaining. Mine turned out to be a sticky decomp solenoid. Mine would start if I twisted the throttle. Just a thought. Other than that, I don't have any ideas.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,905 Posts
Yep...first time to take off. Pretty easy actually. The fuel hose was the first thing that I checked and it was as far as it would go and the orange clamp snapped back in.

Well mine definately has 4 plugs
that second from the right connector is not stock.

What's it hooking up to?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that second from the right connector is not stock.

What's it hooking up to?
Hmmm...it must be. It goes from the main wiring loom to the fuel pump.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not as far as I know...any other way to tell? I'm in NC so it would be a long way from home. But it was someone elses baby for 5 years before I got her.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya, that's weird. Have you tried twisting the throttle while starting it? Mine did something very similar to what you are explaining. Mine turned out to be a sticky decomp solenoid. Mine would start if I twisted the throttle. Just a thought. Other than that, I don't have any ideas.
I did try give it some gas and it almost seemed to catch for like one split second then go back to trying to crank.

Is there a fuel filter inline somewhere? Maybe taking the tank off loosened some junk in the tank? Just trying to brainstorm cause it seems like a fuel issue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Don't know if it will help, I have an 04. One day it would turn over but would not fire. I found a solution on line that worked for me. Theres a large plug in the headlight bucket, as I recall its 6 prong plug. One of the wires burned out and that prevented the bike from firing. Cut the wire put a new fitting on it and the bike fired right up. Sorry don't have more right now but didn't have much time. Just suggesting a possibility. If this sounds like it may be your problem let me know and I will try to pin point the wire for you. Hope it helps

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've had my tank off more times than I want to remember, I have never had the problem you're talking about. When you turn the key on does the ele fuel pump ever stop running? I know you said the fuel line is in place and the clip locked in but, the clip will lock even if the fuel line isn't all the way up. I would check the fuel line and then make sure you did knock any plugs loose on the coils or fuel injection side...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't know if it will help, I have an 04. One day it would turn over but would not fire. I found a solution on line that worked for me. Theres a large plug in the headlight bucket, as I recall its 6 prong plug. One of the wires burned out and that prevented the bike from firing. Cut the wire put a new fitting on it and the bike fired right up. Sorry don't have more right now but didn't have much time. Just suggesting a possibility. If this sounds like it may be your problem let me know and I will try to pin point the wire for you. Hope it helps
Seems the strangest cause/effect I have ever heard but at this point I will try anything! Already missed one day of mid-70's riding to her pouting and dont want to miss anymore.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've had my tank off more times than I want to remember, I have never had the problem you're talking about. When you turn the key on does the ele fuel pump ever stop running? I know you said the fuel line is in place and the clip locked in but, the clip will lock even if the fuel line isn't all the way up. I would check the fuel line and then make sure you did knock any plugs loose on the coils or fuel injection side...
It only goes in to a certain point and no fuel is being leaked. If I remove the connection and hook up a tube to the pump going to a gas container and turn on the ignition, will the pump start pushing gas? Just want to check the pump to make sure its working.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Turn the key on, can you hear the fuel pump run for about 3 seconds?
If not, you may have an electrical connection issue at the pumps pigtail.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Turn the key on, can you hear the fuel pump run for about 3 seconds?
If not, you may have an electrical connection issue at the pumps pigtail.
It does come on for a few seconds like normal. Normal whirring and gauge motions, etc...just wont fully turn over.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LOL...yes...there is gas in the tank. Just not sure how to test that its getting from the tank to the fuel line.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Basically sounding like the bike in this video

1 - 20 of 39 Posts