Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is the story guys, I hope that maybe one of you can help!! I bought a used 2006 900 Classic last year with 2400 miles on it. I rode it almost every day for a year straight and racked up 12 thousand and some change in miles. Coming home from work a few months back my bike died. I bought a new battery, and it died as well.

That's when I discovered the infamous stator problem. I shopped around and thinking I would save myself some cash bought a stator from Ricks and a high output regulator from RMStator. I put the things in and everything worked great.......for around two actual riding days. The battery died on the way home the second day I rode the bike. I replaced the battery again and the new battery died as well. I checked the voltage and it was dead at the battery and regulator.

So now, I bring it a bike mechanic and he tells me that the entire charging system is dead. He told me to order the factory replacement parts this time so I shelled out more cash and order the factory stator and regulator. (Great prices, shipping and service for Cycle Parts Nation btw!!) It arrives and this mechanic puts everything in this time to make sure I didn't screw anything up.

So I'm happy, until he tells me that something is wrong. The headlight won't come on at all. The fuses are good, the bulb is good and just in case I replaced it with a new bulb. He says he's getting power to the headlight plug but it's weak. So he tells that my short lived stator that he just replaced, most likely sent a power surge through the system when it died and fried the headlight relay.

I just ordered the relay or main computer for the 900 for another 100 bucks. Hopefully this will solve the problem and I can finally get back on the road. Anyone else ever hear of a problem such as this or have any input? I traced the wires and can't find any shorts. Everything else appears to be working (Blinkers and brake light) but the damn headlight just doesn't work. I am assuming that the new regulator is charging since the mechanic swears it is but I haven't checked it myself yet... Sigh.............Help???:mad:

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
There are a couple of words that are suspect there...surge and headlight plug "weak".
He should be able to troubleshoot the problem and tell you exactly what the fault is.
It could very well be the headlight relay, but he seems unsure.
Is this a something that you want to tackle?

Post back.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are a couple of words that are suspect there...surge and headlight plug "weak". He should be able to troubleshoot the problem and tell you exactly what the fault is. It could very well be the headlight relay, but he seems unsure. Is this a something that you want to tackle?

Post back.
Well truth be told he is a Harley mechanic but I really didn't think that would matter. He does seem pretty unsure of himself though and no I really don't want to tackle it but I don't have a choice. My girl is on her 3rd stator and regulator and her second battery in 6 months. The relay is on the way and if that doesn't fix her then I guess it's off to the dealership.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
I am questioning if the second stator and regulator were indeed bad...
If you have a meter and know how to use it, I might be able to help.
But if you are not confident with electrics, then the dealer may be your best bet.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I agree with Sfair's comments.

This guy does not sound like a good electrical troubleshooter...as he should have been able to trace the issue more positively. I would be moving to a competent electrical guy if I were you....

(...well actually not because I am competent and would do this myself....lol )

Annie

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can use a volt meter and am rapidly learning how to do my own repairs on my bike. I just wish I could track this down, I'm going to go get her tomorrow and drive her home (with no headlight) and see if I can start tracing this down.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I had problems on my VN750 like that. Now talk about a bike that had stator problems. That stupid thing you have to drop the engine to even take the cover off for the stator.

I never replaced the stator. I did replace the regulator. I did all of the tests with a meter and pretty much determined that it wasn't the stator. And it wasn't the regulator. The problem was within the relay/fuse/junction box. I didn't replace the JB I ended up bypassing the relay within the JB by rerouting a wire. Then I sold it, and got my 900.

I wouldn't be able to help you unfortuntantly with the electrical trouble shooting, I had a guy on the vn750.com forum help me. He actually had me call him on the phone and try to help me narrow it down.

I guess I am hoping that the relay is your problem, and that my experience is somewhat comforting.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Take it to a real motorcycle mechanic. One that works on about anything. I assume you took it to a dealership just by the way you're talking. Dealership mechanics just know how to start replacing stuff and hoPe they fixed in, all on you're dime.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
txmedic712.
These bikes are notorious for collecting water where the plug (boot) runs into your regulator. My bike was new (basically) when my oil light came on in the rain. When I removed the plug that ran into the regulator I literally poured the water out. There is also a boot that attaches near the regulator that covers the oil-pressure gauge. Again, the water ran out. I bought some dialectic grease and coated the oil plug wire and reattached the boot. I then unplugged the (I believe it's like a din connector) that ran to the regulator and dried it...then sprayed it with silicone spray. My line of thinking is that perhaps the wires and or plug might be corroded beyond repair....check these two areas. Apparently, behind the side cover is another area subject to major corrosion. Good luck!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Silenthill............I got my bike back this afternoon and despite putting in a brand new stator and regulator it's still not charging the battery and the headlight is still out. I'll try to trace the lines tonight. Is there anything else that can account for these events??

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
You will have to troubleshoot this problem. The guesswork is over with. Try this:

1. Disconnect stator from regulator.
2. Label the three white wires that come from the stator "A", "B", and "C".
3. Set your meter to read AC volts, 120v range.
4. Start bike, take voltage measurements between "A" and "B", "A" and "C" and "B" and "C".

Post back with the three readings.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sfair thank you I will try this tonight after the battery charges enough to start the bike. It is now completely dead. It read 10.3 volts on the volt meter at the post with the new regulator and stator on. This is the original battery that this mechanic said was good. He said the brand new battery (admittedly from wally world) was "fried."

I have it on charge now and as soon as she can crank I will try this and post the results.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok forgive my inexperience in this field sfair. I have an Innova 3310 Volt meter and the closest AC Volt settings are 500 and 200 on it. I chose the 200 setting for this test and labeled the three white wires at the base of the regulator. I removed the regulator ( it is brand new ) and tested the values as you instructed. My finding were:

High Idle,

A&B= 25.1
A&C= 25.1
B&C= 25.3

At Regular Idle speed;

A&B= 18.1
A&C= 18.3
B&C= 18.1

I really have no idea if that is good or bad but the new stator must be putting out something so I'm hoping thats a good thing. :confused:

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Sorry, forgot to specify rpm, and that would be 3000 rpm.
If it goes over 54v without to much trouble, you are good to go. If you have to rev it to the moon, that is a different story.
200v range is OK.

Post back.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry, forgot to specify rpm, and that would be 3000 rpm.
If it goes over 54v without to much trouble, you are good to go.
200v range is OK.

Post back.
No problem and thank you for helping....I'm dragging the wife to the garage to rev it up while I take readings again!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok volt meter set on AC volts at 200 and the wife reving the bike up I got these readings....

A&B=56-77
A&C=57-84
B&C=56-81

My wife just rolled the throttle and I had to keep yelling that was enough but she did ok. Cobra drag pipes are decidedly loud in a garage at speed!! So are these values good and if so what do I need to check now??

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
So, the charging system is working, yet, the battery isn't being charged....hmnnn. Are u getting juice right at the battery connectors? I would take readings at the battery itself, I'm sure sfair can chime in with the correct voltage.
The headlight stays out when you initially turn your key on....to save juice when your cranking. It seems the relay would be the problem there. Maybe you have a two-pronged problem independant of each other. Bare with me, I'm no genius, but I feel for ya!

1 - 20 of 149 Posts