Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody!

I am brand new here.

I have a question: is it possible to replace complete front wheel (tire+rim) of Vulcan 900 Custom by complete one from Vulcan 900 Classic?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im sure you could, you would need the spacers off the Classic that fit over the axel, and of course then there's the fender....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I didnt consider the brake, but I have seen pictures of people doing the opposite (classic to custom) Take a tape measure to your Kawi dealer, I bet they are the same.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I have a set of vulcan 900 classic spoked wheels forsale, also have a front vulcan 900 classic fender.. Let me know if you are interested..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey aircrashing, I'm trying to do the same thing you are. I have a Vulcan 900 Custom and want to swap the front wheel and tire to a Classic 900 front wheel/tire. Any success with that? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
263 Posts
I am all for personnal likes, so do not get on me for this:

WHY? The front wheel makes the custom.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wife rides a Classic LT. I didn't want to get on hers by accident and be going down the road with those frilly leather things flapping from the levers.

I suggest you just swap bikes with someone.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I am all for personnal likes, so do not get on me for this:

WHY? The front wheel makes the custom.
That's what I was thinking as well... it's all about making the bike YOU want though, so not pointing fingers or anything. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have to agree with teamsunbelt. Aricrashing and tnguyen, why are you guys trying to switch out your custom wheel set up?
I'm not criticizing you, I'm sure you have your reasons - so I'm just curious.
Because in my opinion, the classic and custom are radically different bikes. The the classic is of course your old school cruiser style bike whereas the custom is modeled after the HD Duece to be a much more vulger and sporty bike. When I'm on my custom, I feel like a cross between Steve McQueen and Tom Cruise. To take the front wheel/tire and fender off of the custom and replace it with the classic would be to defy the design themes of the custom bike.
As I said, you're certainly entitled to your opinion and one of the beautiful things about owning a bike is that you can do whatever the hell you want to it to make it exactly the bike you want it to be. Isn't that while we all ride? So I don't want to come off as harsh, I'm just curious for your reasons behind the swap. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been looking to change the front wheel too...

I love the profile look of the Custom with the tall front tire. But looking head-on at the bike, the front wheel is way too skinny. Looks like a tire for a Schwinn. I'd like to keep the tall and add some fat. Not fat like the rear, but just a little more meat. The fender is the only obvious obstacle that I see. But I have not asked any technical experts to know if there are other show-stoppers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Hi,

The reason I want to replace custom front wheel by classic one is i) for me it looks too slim that is not well-proportioned with the bike; ii) because the original tire is too narrow so I feel not safe when enter the turn/ curve in high speed and the tire easily skided while little hard brake.

But in Vietnam I can not order front wheel of clssic or I have to pay high tax with complicate customs procedure, so what I did is replace only the original tire with Avon AV7 120/70-21. Of course the fender should be lift a little up

It looks much better now and just come back from ~1800km trip (inthere ~500km on mountain roads with hard turns and curves. The bike was controlled perfectly!

·
Registered
8 Posts
question for aircrashing...

hey aircrashing, I'm about to get a 120/70-21 on the custom front too. Just curious how you raised your front fender?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts