Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am still new to my Vulcan 900 Custom, got it late last fall, then it got too cold to ride...so I have probably only put 500 miles on her since purchased.

I have noticed the front wheel feels very squirrely while traveling at low speed, say below 20mph.
At first I thought it was under braking and thought it was suspension related and was looking at getting Progressive springs, but today I rode to work and its not just under braking its at low speed, the front end feels...wobbly. Which does not give you much confidence taking slow turns.
Going faster it handles just fine, leaning into twisties everything feels tight.

Any ideas?
Tire looks good, its a Metzler - Bike is a 2011, with 7800 miles.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Are there wheel weights on the wheel somewhere? There should be, and sometimes they fall off. Sounds like the front wheel might be unbalanced and you notice more at low speeds (lower frequency modulation is easier to feel, it makes a more dramatic movement in the wheel) than higher speeds when the vibration is higher so the movement on the wheel is shorter, for lack of a technical term :)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Here are some things to check.

TIRE/WHEEL
1. Have you checked tire pressure? (you might need a bit more or less)
2. Does the tire have any damage or uneven wear?
3. Is the rim bent or damaged?
4. Did you lose a balance weight?

THINGS WHICH CAN GET LOOSE (from bottom to top)
5. Is the wheel tightly attached at the axle?
6. Is there play or looseness in the wheel bearings? (Can you wobble the wheel on the axle? You can try to move the top of the wheel side to side between the fork legs)
7. Check the brake caliper and rotor for tightness and proper operation.
8. Are the fork legs tightly attached at the trees? Check the tightness.
9. Are the stem bearings correctly adjusted and lubricated?
10. Are the handlebars tightly attached to the top tree?

SERVICE ITEMS
11. Are both fork legs in good condition? (Oil, seals, etc)

OTHER
12. Does it happen on different surfaces or road conditions?
13. Check the rear wheel for looseness and tire pressure too.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Missing, thrown off weights will show themselves MORE at higher speeds, not lower.
At 20 mph you might not notice a missing weight, at 60 you yes you will!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Go with the tire pressure listed on the sidewall of the tire.

If have experience what your describe under 2 different scenarios. Once was with an underinflated tire. When its cold out tire pressures tend to dip, so a tire that was properly inflated yesterday could be low in the morning today. Check that first. And the second possibility is that you are still getting used to having a narrow large diameter tire. With the 19" 100mm tire on my harley I never feel quite as stable at low speeds as I do in the 130mm 16" Vulcan Classic front.

My guess is low tire pressure, but start with the easy stuff and let us know if you find anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts