Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 06 900 classic with 7500 miles is leaking oil out of the left side front wheel bearing , called the shop and they quoted me 130.00 to change the bearings , now I could do this myself but at that price Im not going too , anyone else had these bearings fail with so few miles? I have not hit it with a pressure washer and have not sprayed any heavy duty cleaners on the front end. Also Im pretty sure they should be changed , would ya agree?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Hold on tight there buckaroo, do you have dirty greasy nasty mess on the spindles there? Have you checked to see if the bearing itself is bad? Does it turn easily, freely without slop from side to side or up and down?

The bearings are sealed and prelubed and just about every one I've seen leaks after a while but the bearings themselves are good. Replace them and you'll just be starting off with new bearings with new grease to leak.

The bearings themselves are 11.38 each at Cheap Cycle parts.com I think the shields are under 3 bucks each. Not rocket science to change them if you think you need to. When you install the axle, a light coating of grease will keep it from corroding and sticking. I think sometimes whoever shoves the wheels on loads this area up with grease. It doesn't help anything, it just leaks out and makes a mess.

Anyways, get the front wheel up off the ground and check before you put 140 bucks on something besides accesories.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I agree. Replacing a bearing is not a big deal and easily done at home.

Are you dripping fluid? I'm not convinced it's the bearing that's making the mess. Is it really light oil, or is it grease?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well its a light coating on the bearing and running down and over the axle , I have not put the bike up to see how it sounds yet , and as far as doing it at home I do not have the tools here to press out and in the new bearings. So I guess tomorrow Ill put it up in the air and see how it sounds before I take it in. We are going on a 6 day trip through Tennessee over to the dragons tail and cades cove and that area , just want to make sure all is ok

I agree. Replacing a bearing is not a big deal and easily done at home.

Are you dripping fluid? I'm not convinced it's the bearing that's making the mess. Is it really light oil, or is it grease?

·
Registered
976 Posts
mines been filthy for years. IF the bearings good don't worry about it. If it's not I guess 122 bucks ain't bad for the shop time it will take, cept they'll be faster. Hows that tire look? Should you kill two birds with one stone? How many miles is your long trip? The last couple of Millimeters of tread goes a lot faster then the first 4.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Man, you've got me stymied. My first post was while i was at work and i brought a different bike, so i couldn't check it there. I thought maybe fork oil was leaking onto the bearing area, but after just checking, i can't see how that would happen without it leaking all down the fork too. You'da seen that. I'd just expect heaver lubricant to be coming from the bearing than a light oil.

In any event, like MrClean said, since you're taking it in anyway, and you're about to head out on a trip, if you're getting low on tread this would be an excellent opportunity...

Take Pics, and let us know how it goes! Have fun, and ride safe.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've recently noticed some oil/grease, on the axle near the left front bearing as well, gathering a little dirt as oil/grease will do. It also crossed my mind if it could be possible that the bearing is going bad at just 4000 miles? I would think they would have used sealed bearings. Thanks for reassuring me and confirming they do in this thread. I've cleaned it off the axle and will keep checking. Should the bearing fail, I assume it would be very obvious with movement and noise, before the axle wears in half. Right? :eek:

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have greased these wheel bearings with amsoil water resistant grease.The grease that comes in them is cheap they look like there packed with vaseline.You do need a seal puller to get them off with out destroying them then just take a small screwdriver to the seal on the bearing.Use screwdriver to get most the old grease out then put some good grease in ,pop seals back in & ride with confidence.I haven't got the inside bearing in the back as I didn't want to take the pulley off after reading about wobble issues on here after messing with them.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I have greased these wheel bearings with amsoil water resistant grease.The grease that comes in them is cheap they look like there packed with vaseline.You do need a seal puller to get them off with out destroying them then just take a small screwdriver to the seal on the bearing.Use screwdriver to get most the old grease out then put some good grease in ,pop seals back in & ride with confidence.I haven't got the inside bearing in the back as I didn't want to take the pulley off after reading about wobble issues on here after messing with them.
xcbullet, I've got a '10 so no need yet to pull the front wheel off for any reason. Are you saying that the front wheel axle bearings are not factory sealed?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Well, If you're happy with it then good for you xcbullet. For the rest of us, with 40,000 on the bike, the factory grease is fine and the front wheel turns easy and free. The grease does leak out after a bit and I don't know when it first started up but it was after a few thousand miles, it doesn't hurt anything, clean it up and go down the road.

Swapping anything with Amsoil doesn't hurt anything really, but just like Nitrogen in the tires I find Amsoils advertisements to be vastly overrated if not just down right just lies. It certainly won't hurt anything and back when it was the only synthetic around it was better than everything else. But those days are way gone and everybody makes a good synthetic now.

It's kinda like you don't have to own a Ipod to listen to music.

·
Registered
231 Posts
There's noooo way you should have worn front bearings with 7500 miles on your bike...Even a 5-year-old bike. JMHO. Your front tire might be starting to cup a little, but your tread is probably OK too - even with Dunlops, unless you ride a lot harder than I do, and that's unlikely...:D

Still...since you're about to tangle with the Dragon, it "might" not be a bad idea to get a trusted mech to inspect the front bearings for excessive play, noise ect, and get a second opinion on the front tire....'pends on the mechanic we're talking about.
Deal's Gap would be a very bad place to find out that your mechanic doesn't know how to put front wheel bearings - or even a tire(!) on a bike!!:eek:

As stated above, you probably just have grease weeping out of the front bearing.

AMSOIL makes good products and SNAP-ON makes good wrenches - I just don't need that level of quality/exclusivity for a commuting bike. I-Pods/Pads/Phones?....well....PT Barnum's opinion on THAT subject is pretty clear....:D

·
Registered
343 Posts
The bearings are sealed but the seal can be opened up with a screw driver.I;ve done this to idler wheel bearings on sleds & you can make them last a lot longer by doing this .doesn't have to be amsoil grease any good grease will be better than whats in there & there isn;t much in there ,not that you want to fill it.My stearing head bearing was fine but now it too has good grease in it & I know it will last for years too_Over the winter the swing arm will get the same treatment.
One of my bearings was on the sticky side ,the one under the pulley,this was @ like 12,000 miles.The only way to tell it was sticky was when off the bike & turning by hand.Would spin fine on the bike.Yes some of the new grease comes out & I keep it cleaned off so it don't collect dust.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts