Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a couple post on upsizing the front tire on the 900 Custom. I remember a couple people having fit problems.

What, if any, problems accur with the 90/90 Metzler?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I've had my Metz 90/90 on for 3600 miles now, and no problems at all. Only problem I recall seeing was one guy who had to overdrill his front fender mounting holes slightly so that he could raise it a bit. Have seen dozens of other reports of satisfaction with no adjustments at all, and Metz's website even lists it as an acceptable upgrade with no mods.

·
Registered
109 Posts
No issues for me either when I went to the 90/90 Metz. I did loosen the screws holding the fender (not the ones holding the metal brackets to the fork) and evened out the gap between the fender and tire, front to back. The 90/90 tire looks a heckuva lot better as it fills the fender more. The stock looked small in comparison even though there's only about 1/2 difference in width and a little more than that in diameter. See my thread about the upgrade here:
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10934

·
Registered
711 Posts
No issues with Metzler 90/90/21 at all. If you go with Avon Venum 90/90/21 then that tire is a bit larger and won't fit unless u modify the fender. Now I have a Metzler 90/90/21 up front and not very pleased with it. You can see cracking on all over the tire vs the Avon I have on the rear who still looks like brand new. Just FYI.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
No issues with Metzler 90/90/21 at all. If you go with Avon Venum 90/90/21 then that tire is a bit larger and won't fit unless u modify the fender. Now I have a Metzler 90/90/21 up front and not very pleased with it. You can see cracking on all over the tire vs the Avon I have on the rear who still looks like brand new. Just FYI.
Odd, I haven't had any cracking at all.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. My front tire is shot, maybe causing my steering allignment issue. Pressure dropped and I did not check it, the Nitrogen was supposed to eliminate that. Will not pay for that in the future. Front is cupped really bad. No vibrations or rough ride, just dont like the idea of an unlevel tire. I will be going with th 90/90. Thanks

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have the 80/90-21 Metz. Fits with no problems what so ever. I've heard of some guys having issues with the 90/90-21 so I went that route after some suggestions from other riders.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shop called yesterday. New Metz 90/90 on front, but it did not fit. If I had done it myself, I may have adjusted the fender. They said that the screws were touching the tire. I told them to switch out for the 80/90 Metz. I will post if the new tire cured the alignment problem. Fresh service, ready for spring!

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I went with the Night Dragons but installed their MH90-21 instead of the 90/90. Everything fit OK but after a highway run where speeds exceeded 140 kph I noticed a slight bit of shinny paint on the yoke that supports the fender. I elongated the mounting holes that attach the yoke to the forks and the problem seems to be solved. I guess at speed the tire grows and that's when it was touching.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Pressure dropped and I did not check it, the Nitrogen was supposed to eliminate that. Will not pay for that in the future.
The only real upside to a N2 tire fill is that nitrogen is an inert gas that contains no water vapor, which means you shouldn't get pressure fluctuation from temperature change. I've read of claims that since nitrogen is a physically larger particle than most of what's in compressed air (which is actually mostly N2 also, but with O2, CO2 and water vapor mixed in) it will lose pressure from actual volume loss more slowly.

However, I read in Consumer reports a couple years ago that the difference was negligible. 1 psi lost in their set of N2-filled tires versus 1.5 psi lost in the compressed-air-filled tires. Regardless of whatever mumbo-jumbo is in your tire, be it nitrogen, TPMS, or whatever, there is no adequate replacement for just getting out and checking your tire pressure in anything you drive.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
The only real upside to a N2 tire fill is that nitrogen is an inert gas that contains no water vapor, which means you shouldn't get pressure fluctuation from temperature change. I've read of claims that since nitrogen is a physically larger particle than most of what's in compressed air (which is actually mostly N2 also, but with O2, CO2 and water vapor mixed in) it will lose pressure from actual volume loss more slowly.

However, I read in Consumer reports a couple years ago that the difference was negligible. 1 psi lost in their set of N2-filled tires versus 1.5 psi lost in the compressed-air-filled tires. Regardless of whatever mumbo-jumbo is in your tire, be it nitrogen, TPMS, or whatever, there is no adequate replacement for just getting out and checking your tire pressure in anything you drive.
When you order your PCV consider buying the Auto Tune at the same time. My guess is that elevation changes during rides is quite common for you. The Auto Tune will adjust your air/fuel on the run where air density can be an issue.

·
Registered
49 Posts
just want to spread this nugget of knowledge. everyday air contains approx. 78% nitrogen so paying for nitrogen in your tires is a scam. if it air leaks as much as they say then do the math and add 22% more regular air and by the sellers of nitrogens logic in no time flat you will have nothing but nitrogen for free!!! If free means every couple of months having to put back in that 22% i lost, i think i could live with that.

i think that satisfies my one random rant that accomplishes nothing for the day.:)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
lmao I never thought of it that way, but I agree paying for it is ridiculous. Almost as bad as paying to have your car tires siped after your buy them.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just want to spread this nugget of knowledge. everyday air contains approx. 78% nitrogen so paying for nitrogen in your tires is a scam. if it air leaks as much as they say then do the math and add 22% more regular air and by the sellers of nitrogens logic in no time flat you will have nothing but nitrogen for free!!! If free means every couple of months having to put back in that 22% i lost, i think i could live with that.

i think that satisfies my one random rant that accomplishes nothing for the day.:)
The shop boss did say they give free Nitrogen to top off. It is not the leaking, it is supposed to be the pressure change is more drastic with straight air. After my ordeal, I am not a fan. I have a compressor that sits next to the bike anyway.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Only thing I noticed with metz 90/90 is stones getting caught between tire and fender. Never jammed tire or anything, just makes noise as they scrape the underside of fender.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Picking the bike up today. They called last week to tell me that the 90/90 Metz would not fit without rubbing the fender bolts. They ordered another tire, an MH 90 from Metz, said it would not fit either. They told me that they could not get a 80/90 Metz. I may still argue that point when I get there. They put me on a stock Dunlop, which I was not after. We will see if it holds up. Three tire changes overall.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Sounds like you need a better tire shop. I'm on my second ME880 90/90-21 never has it rubbed on anything, its real close, but not touching. If its touching the fender bolts something is missing or they are using the wrong hardware. The fender bolts are coming from the outside of the fender ito the support bracket that is tapped, the bolts should have a washer on the fender side, but should not project past the inside of the fender support. It does get real close to the fender support bracket, but will fit.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
New Tire! Smooth ride and safe again. Shop worked hard to get 90/90 to fit, but would not pull out the custom tools with out me there. Maybe I make that change one day. Thanks for the opinions.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well, I have had nothing but good times with the Avon Venom series tires. I too, had air leak issues with the stock tire. it only lasted about 7000 miles. I went with a 90/90/21 Avon Venom. The shop called and elongated the fender holes enough to get it mounted, but with a high speed (highway) drive back to the house--- the tire grew enough to eat up some of the tip on the fender. Once removed, I found the tire had actually rubbed off some of the paint on the inner fender support on top of the tire. i had some flat bar laying around, and cut 2 pieces 1 " tall by the length of the existing mounts. I added 2 new holes to the new mounts. This raised the fender about 3/4" up from the existing location. Tire looks awesome, and the ride is considerably better. I also went with Dyna beads and have NO issues with wobbling.. Even over 100mph!! :eek:

I already deleted the pipcs that I had, but I'll go take some on lunch and add them...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts