Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 V2K that has approx. 4500 miles on it and the front tire is prematurely wearing badly. It appears to have dime size flat topped bumps in two rows about 1 1/2" apart completely around the tire. I have taken pictures but don't know how to post them yet or I would show them.

Has anyone else seen this type of problem with Bridgestone tires?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Usually caused by 2 low of tire pressure.......sounds like is cupping....I have used many bridgestones and never had or seen this problem with mine.....Just my opinion....:)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cupping is when the tire is worn down in spots. This tire is not worn down in cups, it has RAISED bumps all around it.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Probably pressure issue.

Mine is in the shop today getting new Metzler880s front and back.
7.5K miles. Front one could probably have went further, but; I didn't like the look of the treadwear on it and it was noisy.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
pooh tires, black circular rings of death

I have a 2009 V2K that has approx. 4500 miles on it and the front tire is prematurely wearing badly. It appears to have dime size flat topped bumps in two rows about 1 1/2" apart completely around the tire. I have taken pictures but don't know how to post them yet or I would show them. Has anyone else seen this type of problem with Bridgestone tires?
CP, bridgestone battleaxe tires are pooh. round rubber black circular piles of pooh death. the sooner you get rid of them the better off you will be. I have had those stock cheap pooh piles on several-many bikes. they all behave the same. tire pressure at 40-45psi. They sing in the corners, as those flats spots, combinaton of cups and raised surfaces, slap the pavement. They dont inspire confidence. Upside is they wear out fast. Get rid of em, asap.
Get yer some Metzler ME880's. problem solved. no more cups, raised, flat spots or singing in the corners... unless its you doing the tunes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CP, bridgestone battleaxe tires are pooh. round rubber black circular piles of pooh death. the sooner you get rid of them the better off you will be. I have had those stock cheap pooh piles on several-many bikes. they all behave the same. tire pressure at 40-45psi. They sing in the corners, as those flats spots, combinaton of cups and raised surfaces, slap the pavement. They dont inspire confidence. Upside is they wear out fast. Get rid of em, asap.
Get yer some Metzler ME880's. problem solved. no more cups, raised, flat spots or singing in the corners... unless its you doing the tunes.

After only 4500 miles I have pretty much come to the same conclusion as to the quality of Bridgestone round rubber black circular piles of pooh death are concerned.

In fact, there is a truck and trailer on the way to my house as we speak to get my bike and take it to the shop to have my new Metzler ME880's installed. Hopefully this will cure my problems and I can relax.

I hope you don't mind if I quote your philosophy on the quality of Bridgestone Tires, it was very aptly put.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Had the same problem with the Bridgestones , I was lucky I got 8000 kms out of them . Replaced them with Avon Cobras , I will get 18000 on the front and got 11000 kms on the back .

·
Registered
1 Posts
The same thing had happened on my 06' Vulcan with the stock tires. I had noticed it on the way back from Sturgis 08'. Was scary finishing the ride on them, but they made it back home. Got it replaced ASAP. I called the dealer and the manufacturer but got no answers or help on the matter.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My tires(Metzler ME880) came in today and I got them put on. What a difference good rubber makes in handling and driving.

No More Bridgestones for me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I like the rear Bridgestone a lot of both the VN2000 & the Goldwing. The front Bridgestone is great for the Goldwing (re design from the original), but the cupping happens quick on the Kawasaki. It is still the original design for the VN2000. Noisey, yes, bad handling, well I live on the most boring roads in America, so handling issues at all. They go straight well.

Where might I purchase the Metzler front for the best price? SWMototires is really really cheap for a pair of Bridgestones, but they don't show as selling either the Avon Cobras, or the Metzlers for the VN2000.

Thanks, Herb

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Just remember that you get what you pay for. You buy Bridgestones, that's what you get and you'll be buying new tires sooner than you want to.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
russian roulette with your tires!

Where might I purchase the Metzler front for the best price? SWMototires is really really cheap for a pair of Bridgestones Thanks, Herb
madd'r, you said it right. them brickstones are cheap.ly built. Try the metzlers and see for yourself. you too will sing thier praises. The difference is night and day. Performance and Service life. minimally you will yield 1.5:1 longer life, many do 2:1. Factor in labor cost to change, is 2/3 or better. But the handling is Soooo much better you wont care.

I should have bought several tires last year when they were on sale for $114. Now the best price I can find is $134 at www.motorcyclesuperstore.com . Its probably uncle BoBo's VAT tax kicking in already.

I think I'd put a car tire on the front b4 I'd ever put another brickstone!

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
mo better tire at mo better price

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=PAR_110-10408_G

did a little research. called my local cycle gear shop. "hey dude, whens next tire sale?" next sat 5/15/10. all tires 20% off they'r online prices. so that 150/80r16 metzler nets for $124. put 1 on hold for me, not needed yet, 'ventually tho. I checked that monster rear 240/50r16 on sale for $179. ouch, thats almost reasonable. get me 1 just for a spare.

so if you be needing new rubbers, might be good to get em while theyr hot just fresh out the oven. out, ponch

·
Registered
305 Posts
Tire wear

I have 2300 mi. on my 08 Classic LT. Bought it new 1.5 months ago as a left over. Someone pointed out my rear tire is already showing signs of flattening and tread wear. How much does the dealer usually charge to install a tire?? Buying a metz for under 200 for the rear doesnt bother me too much but seeing how much the dealer is going to charge me to put it on is what scares me.:eek:

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
you got no air in them thar tires!

I have 2300 mi. new 1.5 months ago as a left over. How much does the dealer usually charge to install a tire?? Buying a metz for under 200 for the rear doesnt bother me too much but seeing how much the dealer is going to charge me to put it on is what scares me.:eek:
Cg'r, 2300 miles on your stock rear is absolutely pisspoor. do you have any air in there? I run mine at 45psi and squeeked 13k out of it.

Dealers charge an arm and a leg. for the tire and for the labor. you pay for the convenience of riding in and riding out. It is how they make a living. If you like thier service, then pay for it.

I take the wheels off my bike, because I can, and drop them off at Cycle Gear. they charge me $20 to mount and balance. reasonable. I buy most my tires there anyway. on sale of course. but I buy a lot of tires. 3 bikes worth. every year. I think I am a good customer.?

today I just bought 2 new metzlers for the beast.. er, redbear'n. size 150 front and 240 rear on sale for $350 otd installed. They will do the work later when I am ready for it. Good guys take good care of me, I thro a lot of bus there way.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Cg'r, 2300 miles on your stock rear is absolutely pisspoor. do you have any air in there? I run mine at 45psi and squeeked 13k out of it.

Dealers charge an arm and a leg. for the tire and for the labor. you pay for the convenience of riding in and riding out. It is how they make a living. If you like thier service, then pay for it.

I take the wheels off my bike, because I can, and drop them off at Cycle Gear. they charge me $20 to mount and balance. reasonable. I buy most my tires there anyway. on sale of course. but I buy a lot of tires. 3 bikes worth. every year. I think I am a good customer.?

today I just bought 2 new metzlers for the beast.. er, redbear'n. size 150 front and 240 rear on sale for $350 otd installed. They will do the work later when I am ready for it. Good guys take good care of me, I thro a lot of bus there way.
Its not showing a lot of wear at 2300 mi. but somewhat noticable. I think its about 1/4 worn down so im estimating that ill get about 9000 to 10000 tops out of it and then on to the Metz me880. I have ridden the bike pretty hard with some higher speed and a lot of flat riding so that may contribute to the wear. My air pressure looks good but ill check pressure to make sure.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hey Ponch, my front tire is still like new and seems to handle fine so if my back tire needs replacement in the future and the front is still O.K. do you recommend changing both at same time or just replace as needed? Being that tires arent cheap it might just have to work out that way anyway.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
one at time, they cos 2 much 2b throwin em away.

Hey Ponch, my front tire is still like new and seems to handle fine... my back tire needs replacement in the future and the front is still O.K.
macattack, its what I do. I dont change em in pairs unless they'r both worn out. If the front is good and is behaving, then continue to run it out. The front is the more portent one to be mindful of. Eventually you will have the same brand on both ends.

My front went at 10k and I was glad to be rid of it (brickstones). The rear followed a few miles down the road. I run metzlers on all my big cruisers. Pirellis on my sport bike and Michelin on the betty the buick. I like to try diff tires... and bikes, I guess?

as for mixing brands, patterns, etc... the purest:cool:club(pc'rs) will chime in with how wrong that is and could be dangerous, yada,yada,yada. I spose if your running like a bullet and pulling ridiculous stunts, every little aspect of perfection might save yor hide one day. Might as well get my reply in now, "don't do that". Ride yor skoot like a sane person and lifes little imperfections are of little or no consequence. sometimes they even add character.:) out, ponch

·
Registered
305 Posts
macattack, its what I do. I dont change em in pairs unless they'r both worn out. If the front is good and is behaving, then continue to run it out. The front is the more portent one to be mindful of. Eventually you will have the same brand on both ends.

My front went at 10k and I was glad to be rid of it (brickstones). The rear followed a few miles down the road. I run metzlers on all my big cruisers. Pirellis on my sport bike and Michelin on the betty the buick. I like to try diff tires... and bikes, I guess?

as for mixing brands, patterns, etc... the purest:cool:club(pc'rs) will chime in with how wrong that is and could be dangerous, yada,yada,yada. I spose if your running like a bullet and pulling ridiculous stunts, every little aspect of perfection might save yor hide one day. Might as well get my reply in now, "don't do that". Ride yor skoot like a sane person and lifes little imperfections are of little or no consequence. sometimes they even add character.:) out, ponch
Thanks Ponch, sounds good and I agree, ill replace them as they go, but will replace with same, matching tires. I will eventually go with the Metz.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts