Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been running Avon Cobras and the 1st 2 were good tires but the one on the bike now has worn strange and quickly at about 8500 miles the right side of the tire in 1 spot is toast while the rest of the tire could go several more miles. Cant figure out why the tire would wear like this but figured I would try something different.

same side different area

Left side

Center

·
Registered
370 Posts
That would be when you flew into that right hander a bit quick, hit the front brake and locked the wheel for 50 feet and flat spotted tyre. Don't you remember?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Water Rat,

Tires are like people - no two are exactly alike.

If your alignment & tire pressure have been spot on throughout that tire's life, it may just be a "lemon" - it happens.

Too bad the Michelin COMMANDER II is not yet available in sizes to fit a VN2000. They're amazing. Just to try something different, you may want to try a Metzeler ME880 or ME888. I've heard some good things.

But do it soon. A suddenly flat rear tire is, for the most part, just a major pain. A suddenly flat (or sliding) front tire can have much more serious consequences.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On the rear alignment. How do you guys do it?
I have always counted the remaining threads on the adjusters and made sure both sides were the same.
A Harley buddy of mine uses strings which I never fully understood how to do.
He said if at speed I can release the handle bars and the bike doesn't pull right or left I'm probably close enough on the alignment.
Using my method on good roads my bike tracks straight when I release the bars so I think my alignment is ok.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That would be when you flew into that right hander a bit quick, hit the front brake and locked the wheel for 50 feet and flat spotted tyre. Don't you remember?
Believe me if I had done that I WOULD Remember it and have the dirty shorts to refresh my memory :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Water rat,
I thought I read that you were looking for a front tire. If you are take the Michelin Commander II rear tire size 150 and place it on the front. Turn it around, and you will get a ton of miles out of it.
Klink

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Water rat,
I thought I read that you were looking for a front tire. If you are take the Michelin Commander II rear tire size 150 and place it on the front. Turn it around, and you will get a ton of miles out of it.
Klink
A buddy of mine runs the Michelin Commander II on his Harley and he loves them so I was a bit disappointed to see they didn't make em for the fronts of our bikes but I never thought about using a rear on the front.
Heck I may as well I run a car tire on the rear of my bike so mite as well go all out.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Metz was ok for me handling and no cupping, but overall tread life wasn't materially different from the Battleax.

Have on Bridgestone Excedra Max this go around. Still too early to tell how it'll last, but seems to drive OK and was a fair bit less $ than the Metz.

·
Registered
659 Posts
My last change I went with the Bridgestone Exedra Max, stock sizes but a rear on the front, turned backwards. A little over 2K miles on them now and seem to be wearing quite well. Can't tell any difference in handling with the rear on the front. Getting ready for a 1200 mile, three day jaunt through five states. I'll report any problems, if any.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Yes

Water rat,
Klink
That's my current setup. ;)

JJ

1 - 13 of 13 Posts