Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was lovin' on my V2K yesterday, doing some routine maintenance, when I noticed something odd. There is an arrow on the front tire and inside the arrow is the word 'Rotation'. Well, this arrow points in the opposite direction from which the tire turns when rumblin' down the highway. Is this a bad thing? FYI, I've only had this bike for two months, so I'm exploring and learning new stuff every day. The tires are ME880's.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I've heard of folks running rear tires up front and turning the rotation around. Maybe that's what's happened?

Ask the PO what's going on. If it turns out to be the front tire installed incorrectly, i'd get it flipped just for peace of mind if nothing else.

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
I read on one of the threads that is has to do with the way the tire was laid up during manufacture and how the radial belts overlap. When the tire is run in the proper direction the pressure tends to roll the ends down instead of up helping to keep it sealed, or some such nonsense as that.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I read on one of the threads that is has to do with the way the tire was laid up during manufacture and how the radial belts overlap. When the tire is run in the proper direction the pressure tends to roll the ends down instead of up helping to keep it sealed, or some such nonsense as that.
I've never heard that before. I figured it has to do with the tread pattern
and the direction is needs to be installed for it to grip specaily on wet roads.
I may be wrong.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Metzeler's response

This forum is a great place for information, but I went to Metzeler's website and sent them an email asking their advice. Here is their response:

Date: November 29, 2010 15:50:31 CST
Subject: RE: Front Tire rotation direction

Hello

Tire's have a tread pattern and tread cap (compound) orientation that is important to the safe handling of the application. Metzeler uses a ME880 tread orientation for the front tire (that is different than the rear) to promote the best possible water dispersal and to help clear a path for the rear. This tread design also helps the tire wear as evenly as possible over it's lifespan.

The construction differences between a front and rear tire are radically different in material, shape, pattern, and compound because each tire has a different function. So we can say the front tire steers, handles the big braking forces, and clears water for the rear in the wet, and the rear puts down the power and propels the bike forward.

If after checking you find the tire is actually mounted backwards then for safety sake you probably should replace it. We would suggest that contact your local Metzeler dealer and ask for assistance in this matter. Thanks for the question and have a great day.

NA Metzeler Consumer Affairs
877 202-4993
www.us.metzelermoto.com

So, I'm not going to replace the tire because it has plenty of tread left, I'm sure it has a lot of life left, and it is too close to Christmas to spend money unnecessarily. I compared the wheel to the identification photos from the service manual and from the slant of the spokes I can tell that the wheel is backwards. So my plan is to just flip the tire around. The spokes will be slanted correctly and the tire will be rotating correctly. Of course the brake pads will have to re-seat themselves but I don't think that is a problem, they have plenty of thickness left and should last a long time.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Great to hear you got confirmation Vylkyrn2K.
Pretty important stuff those two rubber patches we use
to go against nature and the cagers.

·
Registered
616 Posts
This forum is a great place for information, but I went to Metzeler's website and sent them an email asking their advice. Here is their response:

Date: November 29, 2010 15:50:31 CST
Subject: RE: Front Tire rotation direction

Hello

Tire's have a tread pattern and tread cap (compound) orientation that is important to the safe handling of the application. Metzeler uses a ME880 tread orientation for the front tire (that is different than the rear) to promote the best possible water dispersal and to help clear a path for the rear. This tread design also helps the tire wear as evenly as possible over it's lifespan.

The construction differences between a front and rear tire are radically different in material, shape, pattern, and compound because each tire has a different function. So we can say the front tire steers, handles the big braking forces, and clears water for the rear in the wet, and the rear puts down the power and propels the bike forward.

If after checking you find the tire is actually mounted backwards then for safety sake you probably should replace it. We would suggest that contact your local Metzeler dealer and ask for assistance in this matter. Thanks for the question and have a great day.

NA Metzeler Consumer Affairs
877 202-4993
www.us.metzelermoto.com

So, I'm not going to replace the tire because it has plenty of tread left, I'm sure it has a lot of life left, and it is too close to Christmas to spend money unnecessarily. I compared the wheel to the identification photos from the service manual and from the slant of the spokes I can tell that the wheel is backwards. So my plan is to just flip the tire around. The spokes will be slanted correctly and the tire will be rotating correctly. Of course the brake pads will have to re-seat themselves but I don't think that is a problem, they have plenty of thickness left and should last a long time.
Dont worry about your 'spokes' because behind the brake rotors is a direction of rotation arrow. you cant see it until the wheel is take off the bike

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
gang'strs, rotation does matter..and yes, we do run them everywhich way to suite our purposes.

firstly; I suspect either the tire was mounted backward.. or the wheel is installed backward. either are possible service errors. ifso, get it turned around..immediately if not sooner.

secondly; sometimes somebody wants a bigger tire on the front of their bike (eXile cycles) than tire mfg make.. so they resort to putting a rear tire up front. this basturd method requires that the tire be mounted in reverse rotation because of the underlayment pattern.

truciary; the underlayment pattern of the radial belts is in part of the duty the tire is designed to handle (see metzler above).

Front tires are most under load with hard braking duty. these belts are layered to compress against each other and not seperate when rotating in this direction.

Rear tires are most under load with hard acceleration duty. these belts are layerd opposit to front tires such that they are under compression and not seperation when rotating in this direction.

Finaly; if you put a rear on the front you (need-should) reverse its rotation.

As for a front on the front, get it fixed ASAP, as this is your most important contact with the road.... just saying. out, ponch

1 - 8 of 8 Posts